New striker on loan by Thursday

-JW-

Listen, if the club need to see these players in action tonight, then that means they can't be well known.

Would you go and watch Messi in a trail match before taking a risk in loaning him?

It'll be some young unknown pigdog we've never heard of.

If we get any beggar at all. Am tellin thee.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen, if the club need to see these players in action tonight, then that means they can't be well known.

Would you go and watch Messi in a trail match before taking a risk in loaning him?

It'll be some young unknown pigdog we've never heard of.

If we get any beggar at all. Am tellin thee.

Or someone coming back from injury and waiting to break down again

I think Ward may be in trouble with the board. However he elludes to the issue I think in respect of Derby as the report beloe is an interview with Ward and clearly states that the budget at the club is tieing Cloughs hands behind his back and if it is that tight we can not get Stevie Howard then we are in the ***** financially.

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Ward-Big-target-man-needed-Rams/story-13919272-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Ward-Big-target-man-needed-Rams/story-13919272-detail/story.html

JAMIE Ward believes Derby County need to recruit a "big target man" to bolster their depleted strike force.

The Rams currently have three attacking options unavailable due to injury after Theo Robinson (hamstring) joined Steve Davies (fractured skull) and Nathan Tyson (groin) on the sidelines.​http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/images/localpeople/ugc-images/275778/Article/images/13919272/3351466

That leaves Ward and Chris Maguire as the only fit recognised first-team forwards.

In recent weeks, Derby boss Nigel Clough has turned to youngsters Mason Bennett and Callum Ball – and he even used defender Shaun Barker as a makeshift striker when he came on in Saturday's 2-0 home defeat to Hull City.

But Ward feels the team are in need of an established centre forward ahead of Thursday's emergency loan deadline and thinks a player like Leicester City's former Derby striker Steve Howard – often linked with a return to Pride Park – would be an ideal addition.

"It looks like Theo's going to be out for a while, unfortunately," said Ward.

"Hopefully, the board are going to give the gaffer (Nigel Clough) a bit of backing, because we are low on players and we do need to get some players in.

"The front line is bare at the moment – there's just me and Maguire and it's tough.

"We'll keep grinding away but the only problem is that we're similar players, which is not going to help us.

"I think we just need a big target man, to be honest.

"Someone like Steve Howard would be perfect.

"At the moment, we've not got the 'out ball' to launch up the pitch when we're under pressure.

"Obviously, myself and Maguire are not the biggest, so it's tough for us, but with a big guy, he could get hold of it and then bring other players into the game.

"It's nice to play up alongside a big man, because it takes a bit of pressure off you. We're all good enough to get hold of the ball and not let other teams cause us problems.

"We just have to do it consistently.Every game is different but we could have certainly done with a big man against Hull on Saturday, especially after we went 2-0 down and we were under pressure."

Clubs are able to recruit players on loan until Thursday's deadline.They can then make permanent signings when the transfer window opens at the beginning of January. Derby face a race against time to bring someone in on a short-term basis ahead of Saturday's trip to West Ham United. Chief executive Tom Glick has said there is money available for new players, despite the club being over their wage budget.

"I think the gaffer would like to get someone in if he can but his hands are tied behind his back with the budget at the club," Ward added. "If the club hasn't got the finances to get someone in at the moment, we'll just have to get on with it and keep working hard for each other and the team."

This paints a very bleak picture and actually confirms what most have been saying that Clough has never been given the tools to actually get what he wants or need for the team and has to make do with what we have.

Strange how he says "there's just me and Maguire and it's tough" and "Obviously, myself and Maguire are not the biggest, so it's tough for us". Not "Chris" or "Chrissy" or or "Magsie" or any of the other nonsense that players tend to spout.

Perhaps he went to public school and does not use first names other than for close family. Perhaps it is "Davies Major" and "Davies Mimor" rather than Ben and Steve.

Anyway well done for speaking out Mr Ward and ratcheting up just a little bit of pressure on the American Masters.

"I think we just need a big target man, to be honest.

"Someone like Steve Howard would be perfect.

"

The72football The 72

@

@John__Percy Is Pearson looking at the loan market at all, do you know?

37 minutes ago

John__Percy John Percy

@

@The72football should think so. he turned down an approach from Derby for Steve Howard today

34 minutes ago

in reply to ↑

@The72football

The 72

@John__Percy Cheers, glad about that. Has a role to play for sure".

Dunno if this is true, got it off our fan site.

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75019&pid=2065091&st=660&#entry2065091

Archived