Clough, keep the faith son.

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Era? are you having a laugh. Do you really think Davies was building the foundations of a solid club? I did quite like John gregory actually but I'd hardly call that an era either.

Over the last 40 odd years it hasn't been "much" better than this.

Being a full back, you can knock an 80 yard ball without it being a hoof Bris. (or at least I could) Some of our play has been direct, but what do you expect when we've got pace to burn up front?

There's a time and a place to play and i think it's telling that we don't concede too many late careless goals this year. Don't fanny about with the ball.

I've also seen some brilliant football in patches and believe that most of the backroom staff are advocates of two touch, counter attacking, fast flowing football. I think we're very close to having that already.

Can you expect more? of course you can, but how do you know we don't already have it at the club? We're fifth with a half a team.

How can you knock an 80 yarder and not call it a hoof? Unless it's a David Beckham type hollywood pass to the opposite flank with alot of space.. There's nothing worse in football than giving the ball away, it's the biggest crime..

Some countries advocate a 'treat the ball like a pot of gold' and other 'treat the ball like a hot potato'..

I know which one I fall under..

Also the majority of goals are scored from good interplay with midfield runners or defending from the front and winning possession deep into their half and springing a counter attack.. Both Germany and Barcelonas attackers defend so hard that when they win possession they can spring a quick 4 on 4 or even more counter attack..

I hate this stand off bullsh*t that we play, I just hate it.. As when we do win it we have no other option than to pump it to the corners..

But as you say, this team is a work in progress, and depite where we are in the league and how we play, I'll always enjoy being a DCFC fan..

Era? are you having a laugh. Do you really think Davies was building the foundations of a solid club? I did quite like John gregory actually but I'd hardly call that an era either.

Over the last 40 odd years it hasn't been "much" better than this.

Do you honestly believe that our 14th and 19th finishes and 5th after 14 games is as good as Billys promotion at the first attempt?

Of course it was better, much better.. Billy was working with the tools that PG gave him, and he won promotion? Who knows what would have happened if he stayed another 5 years, but that 1 year under him is 10x as good as what we've endured over the past 3 years.

Do you honestly believe that our 14th and 19th finishes and 5th after 14 games is as good as Billys promotion at the first attempt?

Of course it was better, much better.. Billy was working with the tools that PG gave him, and he won promotion? Who knows what would have happened if he stayed another 5 years, but that 1 year under him is 10x as good as what we've endured over the past 3 years.

Blimey - that's some twisitng of words you've done there.

I'm not talking about the last 3 years. I'm talking about this year.

NO I dont think this 5th place is as good an achievement as BD's promotion. Having said that, just remind me again how much him and the other disater left the club in debt and with how many non playing players with 4 year deals? Claude Davis is at Crawley right now. How the f anyone could ever pay 3 million quid for "that"

even I could shpunt millions after millions for a minute in the sun - doesnt mean it should qualify as my finest moment - especially if I didn't have a pot to p in when I came back down to earth.

I might be stereotyping a little bit when I say that in my opinion Billy Davies did everything for the short term good of billy davies and nothing for the long term good of anyone else.

This team is shaping up to be something special. You just need to have that moment of realisation.

It WILL come ;-)

"If God had wanted us to play football in the sky, He'd have put grass up there."

Did you ever read the quotes where he told his players he'd cut their balls off if they ever tried to take someone on and lost the ball, when leading 1-0? or hanging on for a point.

time and a place. time and a place. We're not barcelona yet as Bris keeps reminding us.

Bris, I don't understand how you can praise Billy Davies and his team and write long posts about how you like possession, to feet, short passing football.

We were very direct under Billy. We've played much more attractive football under NC, not all the time but definitely more attractive in patches.

Bris, I don't understand how you can praise Billy Davies and his team and write long posts about how you like possession, to feet, short passing football.

We were very direct under Billy. We've played much more attractive football under NC, not all the time but definitely more attractive in patches.

I hated BDs style of football.. I don't praise him, I just say that the season under him was better than any we've had under Clough.. Not a dig at Clough, I'm merely pointing out that despite being 5th we can improve and it can get better than this and I'd be disappointed if 5th in the NPC playing this way is as good as it gets

Agreeing with a lot of Bris's points, although I do sometimes doubt that Davie's promotion can be described as anything other than a fluke. We rarely did enough to win games, we relied on lucky 1-0 wins and I think we were stupidly stupidly stupidly lucky to win the play-offs.

I think we've been hoofing much more by force than design. It's unpleasant to watch when we do it but that's not how we've won games under Clough - what we saw in the first half of Saturday was very easy on the eye. It's not exactly Latin Keep-Ball but we spread the ball about well and we got all three goals from some fantastic interplay. The majority of our goals and chances come from decent moves - have we actually scored from a long ball yet?

Southampton filled out the midfield a treat against us, created the space where they wanted it and didn't leave any where we wanted it. That game more than ever we hoofed it. Clough was asked why we didn't get going after the game, and he said it's because we couldn't.

I think you can criticise Clough for not working out how to avoid the hoofball, but I really don't believe, personally, that that's our Plan A.

No way on gods green earth would Billy achieved any more than what he did. What he did achieve was prove the fact that eventually his limited methods will get a promotion and then he will be found out. He almost got there with Preston, then threw the toys out, got there with us, threw the toys out, nearly with forest, threw the toys out.

Billy is only interested in Billy and for filling his small man issues. Why isn't he managing in the Prem? Because he can't, and he would never have stayed at either of the previous three clubs as he is hunting the next big ticket, however everyone knows he is poison.

After 5 years????? Come on he proved his worth 2 months in the prem

Do you think we played well against Pompey?

First half yes.. Second half was abit sloppy, but we'd won the game by half time..

Only criticism I'd have is at times we gave the ball away far too cheaply and Bryson especially doesn't show himself enough for the ball when the defenders have it.. IMO

I understand hoofball comes from a lack of options.. To get over that, you need to do work on the training ground, especially with the midfielders.. Unless NC instructs it.. Who knows?

The best midfielder I've seen this season was Danny Butterfield.. Classy player who is incredibly comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass

No way on gods green earth would Billy achieved any more than what he did. What he did achieve was prove the fact that eventually his limited methods will get a promotion and then he will be found out. He almost got there with Preston, then threw the toys out, got there with us, threw the toys out, nearly with forest, threw the toys out.

Billy is only interested in Billy and for filling his small man issues. Why isn't he managing in the Prem? Because he can't, and he would never have stayed at either of the previous three clubs as he is hunting the next big ticket, however everyone knows he is poison.

After 5 years????? Come on he proved his worth 2 months in the prem

I'm not saying it was..

I'm clearly referring to his season was much better than anything we've had under Clough.. Proof that it can get better than this.. It can and hopefully it will!

Because I wouldn't like to think 5th in the bleddy NPC is the best we can hope for! I have higher ambitions than that

Well, we had boro away which is a hard game, reading away, and obviously Cardiff at home, just in my opinion its the hardest month up to now

So how did we do against Cardiff ??

OK just joshing with you 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I'm not saying it was..

I'm clearly referring to his season was much better than anything we've had under Clough.. Proof that it can get better than this.. It can and hopefully it will!

Because I wouldn't like to think 5th in the bleddy NPC is the best we can hope for! I have higher ambitions than that

We all have ambitions, however after the miss management of BD and PJ there was always going to be a period of major surgery required. Personally I think we are dam lucky to still be in this league and not gone the way of Leeds and Forest, where over spending on potential futures came back and almost killed a club.

Would I like us to be a solid top six side......yes please, however I know that it takes as many if not more years to repair reckless management, look at some 'normal' companies that have tried reckless things (hover and free flights).

Therefore a top six finish this season would be the best outcome in our current position, due to some freeloaders that we need to shift and the fact that we are already geared for not just for FFP rules, we can cope with any other investigation that may come, especially if the current government wants to raise money by deciding to fine football clubs for financial miss management to raise additional capitol.

Archived