Foreign owners 'want end to Premier League relegation'

Day

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cast your minds back to 1985 and the talk was all about a 'superleague' I think the original concept for that was similar to this, eventually it formed into the premier league.

There was (dare I say it) a good article in the sunday mail 'Famous old club squares up to the superleague'.

luton would have been in that 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />

There are a couple of reasons why this will never happen A) the fact that with this idea people believe that the kind of money that is currently in football will continue to grow, in this economy and with the near future of humanity looking bleaker and bleaker I doubt that will happen, and 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> there would be mass boycotts by the fans. Football is all about having a chance to win against the best now and again, the fact that despite all the odds, all the money a plucky little team can still beat a bunch of world class individuals on the day. If you take this away it takes away a big part of football and to me a big appeal of it. Also C) the f.a would never let this happen.

There are a couple of reasons why this will never happen A) the fact that with this idea people believe that the kind of money that is currently in football will continue to grow, in this economy and with the near future of humanity looking bleaker and bleaker I doubt that will happen, and 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> there would be mass boycotts by the fans. Football is all about having a chance to win against the best now and again, the fact that despite all the odds, all the money a plucky little team can still beat a bunch of world class individuals on the day. If you take this away it takes away a big part of football and to me a big appeal of it. Also C) the f.a would never let this happen.

Something "like" it will definitely happen, because the over riding power in all of this is money, and more precisely big corporate money.

Honestly, do you REALLY think that owners of football clubs care one bit about fans protesting..?? Manchester United being the best example...their fans have gone as far as to actually form a brand new club....and guess what...the club is still the biggest in the world...it's al about the money.

The "plucky underdog" ahs died from the game, it is a fact, no one outside of United,City, Chelsea or Arsenal will ever win the league again unless of course they are bought by someone.

As for the FA....they have proved on many many occasions that they are for sale.

The big clubs will just threaten to break away and form their own league.

The FA will cave in.

If the big money boys get together with Sky and decide its what they want - it'll happen.

Some fans may well protest, stop going etc, etc, even like Swiss said, to the extent of forming their own club, but as long as enough Sky subscriptions are taken out, they'll ride it out.

The 39th game will happen too one day. Manure v Chelsea played in front of 100,000 screaming fans, each one in a replica shirt, in Malaysia, Korea or China.

I'd rather read sideshownobs posts over and over again for 10 years than watch that.

The big clubs will just threaten to break away and form their own league.

The FA will cave in.

If the big money boys get together with Sky and decide its what they want - it'll happen.

Some fans may well protest, stop going etc, etc, even like Swiss said, to the extent of forming their own club, but as long as enough Sky subscriptions are taken out, they'll ride it out.

The 39th game will happen too one day. Manure v Chelsea played in front of 100,000 screaming fans, each one in a replica shirt, in Malaysia, Korea or China.

I'd rather read sideshownobs posts over and over again for 10 years than watch that.

Exactly...and for me, the sooner it happens the better.

Uttox......weekend trips to Darlington, Southend, Newport (that was GREAT)......happy happy days eh..!

cambridge, grimsby, shrewsbury.......... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Brilliant, Shrewsbury...awesome weekend...Remember when Wigan was a great place to go too........and Preston (so we could hop up to Blackpool)..... Swindon, Bristol City, a walk along the beach at Sunderland even Portsmouth was great.

Anyway, back on topic!

Looking at a few different papers and news sites it looks like its owners at clubs like Blackburn, Fulham, Sunderland etc that are foreign owned that would be pushing for any change. The big boys don't seriously fear relegation so it may not be them pushing the idea.

The owners are loath to pump in too much because of the possibility of relegation. If they were guaranteed Premier status (and the money that goes with it), they would happily spend more on players contracts, fees, upgrading facilities etc.

Fair play to Fergie for speaking out.

Something "like" it will definitely happen, because the over riding power in all of this is money, and more precisely big corporate money.

Honestly, do you REALLY think that owners of football clubs care one bit about fans protesting..?? Manchester United being the best example...their fans have gone as far as to actually form a brand new club....and guess what...the club is still the biggest in the world...it's al about the money.

The "plucky underdog" ahs died from the game, it is a fact, no one outside of United,City, Chelsea or Arsenal will ever win the league again unless of course they are bought by someone.

As for the FA....they have proved on many many occasions that they are for sale.

I think people power is starting to come back, you say the plucky underdog has died and that is a fact but facts don't back you up. I am not saying a plucky underdog can win the league, then they wouldn't be an underdog, what i am saying is last season a lot of points were taken off the top teams especially when the top teams traveled, and i don't want to lose that. The manchester united protest has not involved tens of thousands of fans, the glazers have locked down any resentment inside the stadium and it hasn't grown, this move however would i think infuriate tens of thousands of fans, the only way manchester united and the big clubs remain big, is if they have a massive fan base, that would cease to exist with this move.

Archived