Sitting in the home end at an away match.

trekkie_ram

no there is no atmosphere because most people who used to be boisterous and that type of person can barely afford football anymore, look at germany, cheap tickets and what an atmosphere.

They have that atmosphere without the hooliganism.

The lack of atmosphere is purely down to all-seater stadiums with the closest view being 388272875872427384782.5 kilometres away from the touchline.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have that atmosphere without the hooliganism.

The lack of atmosphere is purely down to all-seater stadiums with the closest view being 388272875872427384782.5 kilometres away from the touchline.

exactly, and the fact that a lot of working class people who traditionally make a good atmosphere simply cannot afford the tickets anymore.

Don't know why they don't just mix football fans in with eachother.. They do here in Mexico, no problem.. And I think they do in Spain too..

Only ****** fight over a football match.. Why would you fight someone just because they support a different team to yours? Seriously? Total ******.

Also who cares if theres a good 'atmosphere' or not.. You're there to watch a football match, not spend 90 minutes giving other people who sit about 30 yards away from you the V sign and singing obscene songs at them..

Throw everyone in together, and sing for your team, nothing else. Problem solved.

Don't know why they don't just mix football fans in with eachother.. They do here in Mexico, no problem.. And I think they do in Spain too..

Only ****** fight over a football match.. Why would you fight someone just because they support a different team to yours? Seriously? Total ******.

Also who cares if theres a good 'atmosphere' or not.. You're there to watch a football match, not spend 90 minutes giving other people who sit about 30 yards away from you the V sign and singing obscene songs at them..

Throw everyone in together, and sing for your team, nothing else. Problem solved.

I think segregation is good for football, i wouldn't want to be with fans who support the other team, you want to be grouped together against the other team, football is tribal and that includes the fans, could you imagine a non segregated forest vs derby match? I would hate it, it is good to have banter with the opposition and you would lose that with the destruction of segregation. A good atmosphere is part of what makes football better than rugby, cricket etc, you misunderstand the term atmosphere if you think it is just giving the V sign and singing abusive songs. If you throw everyone in together it will be harder for people to sing for their team because people won't be grouped together.

I think segregation is good for football, i wouldn't want to be with fans who support the other team, you want to be grouped together against the other team, football is tribal and that includes the fans, could you imagine a non segregated forest vs derby match? I would hate it, it is good to have banter with the opposition and you would lose that with the destruction of segregation. A good atmosphere is part of what makes football better than rugby, cricket etc, you misunderstand the term atmosphere if you think it is just giving the V sign and singing abusive songs. If you throw everyone in together it will be harder for people to sing for their team because people won't be grouped together.

People rarely sing anyway.. Plus I don't think it's a problem in other countries, you can still support your team..

It would never happen anyway, but people don't half build up the games to the point of pointless violence.. When football teams talk about the hatred of others, crazy moronic people do this..Competition is important of course, in any sport, but to 'hate' others because they follow a football team.. That's just stepping over the line, you wouldn't hate someone to the point of violence because they have different colour hair to yours, or like different types of sports brands, trainers, music etc.. So why do people do it because of a football team that they follow?

To the original point, I wouldn't see any problem sitting in with others fans.. I've sat next to various supporters of other clubs in the home end before (the strangest being an Ipswich fan who was on his own when there were plenty of spaces in the away end) that match was a 3-3 cracker around 05/06 time, and he spend half the game bouncing around like an excited little girl.. Dished out some good banter and recieved it back all in a friendly way.. No problems.

People rarely sing anyway.. Plus I don't think it's a problem in other countries, you can still support your team..

It would never happen anyway, but people don't half build up the games to the point of pointless violence.. When football teams talk about the hatred of others, crazy moronic people do this..Competition is important of course, in any sport, but to 'hate' others because they follow a football team.. That's just stepping over the line, you wouldn't hate someone to the point of violence because they have different colour hair to yours, or like different types of sports brands, trainers, music etc.. So why do people do it because of a football team that they follow?

To the original point, I wouldn't see any problem sitting in with others fans.. I've sat next to various supporters of other clubs in the home end before (the strangest being an Ipswich fan who was on his own when there were plenty of spaces in the away end) that match was a 3-3 cracker around 05/06 time, and he spend half the game bouncing around like an excited little girl.. Dished out some good banter and recieved it back all in a friendly way.. No problems.

Very few people hate others because of the football team they follow, I am good friends with many forest fans, however i wouldn't want to sit next to them in a forest vs derby game, it wouldn't be the same, imagine being next to twenty forest fans when hendrick scored the winner with 10 men, instead of chanting to your hearts content, until your voice had gone, you'd have to sit down and keep your mouth near enough shut until the end of the game. People rarely sing because many of the working class who's sport has traditionally been football, have been priced out and can't go, that is what made football boisterous and more alive than any other sport on the planet. Also in circumstances when the manager needs to go, or there is anger at the board, and your losing, how annoying would it be to have an opposition fan in your face and wind you up, I would hate it and so would most others. Football is special because it creates something no other sport can touch.

Who builds up games to the point of pointless violence in this country? how many major incidents do we have in this country nowadays, 1 a year? if that, the atmosphere would be dampened as people would mix in with others from other teams and find it difficult to get songs going. It would be an idiotic point of view to claim that by mixing everyone together that the atmosphere wouldn't suffer because it does.

I've done it a few times for various reasons, the most common being that we've sold out the away end. I was in the stand above the away fans at the Forest 2-3 Derby FA Cup game 3 seasons ago when we came back from 2-0 down to win. I kept quiet all game until after the final whistle when the red dogs had all left and I stood clapping the team. Got a few funny looks from stewards but nothing serious!

I was also in the Bradford end when we drew 4-4, the Huddersfield end when we drew 2-2 in an FA Cup match and the Newcastle end (with a Geordie Uni mate who was on crutches) for a 1-1 draw. Never had any trouble but then I've always kept fairly quiet.

I've done it a few times for various reasons, the most common being that we've sold out the away end. I was in the stand above the away fans at the Forest 2-3 Derby FA Cup game 3 seasons ago when we came back from 2-0 down to win. I kept quiet all game until after the final whistle when the red dogs had all left and I stood clapping the team. Got a few funny looks from stewards but nothing serious!

How the flipping heck did you manage to stay still when Commons scored the winner right in front of you? I'd have just thought f*ck it and gone for a crowd surf into our fans.

exactly, and the fact that a lot of working class people who traditionally make a good atmosphere simply cannot afford the tickets anymore.

I disagree with that. How many middle class people do you see at games? Most studies show that the overwhelming majority of fans are still working class.

Even in the East Stand, I get the p1ss taken out of me for having a 'Southern' accent.

I disagree with that. How many middle class people do you see at games? Most studies show that the overwhelming majority of fans are still working class.

Even in the East Stand, I get the p1ss taken out of me for having a 'Southern' accent.

it depends what the studies define as working class, in this country many confuse who is working class and who is middle class. The people who i sit next to are middle class but i am not basing my assumption or belief upon that. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2006/aug/09/hasfootballlosttouchwithi

it depends what the studies define as working class, in this country many confuse who is working class and who is middle class. The people who i sit next to are middle class but i am not basing my assumption or belief upon that.

Where do you sit?

My Dad's side, the Derby supporting side, are hopelessly middle class. My Mum grew up in a council house in Norfolk. My Mum's family are pukka working class; but my mum's brother has a season ticket for Ipswich and Norwich. He justs spends his money on football!

Equally, football runs through my Dad's side. My dad only fits in because he's had years of experience at the football, but he sticks out like an absolute sore thumb at away games with his Radio 4-style pronounciation of some of our chants 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Still think it's the working man's game.

Where do you sit?

My Dad's side, the Derby supporting side, are hopelessly middle class. My Mum grew up in a council house in Norfolk. My Mum's family are pukka working class; but my mum's brother has a season ticket for Ipswich and Norwich. He justs spends his money on football!

Equally, football runs through my Dad's side. My dad only fits in because he's had years of experience at the football, but he sticks out like an absolute sore thumb at away games with his Radio 4-style pronounciation of some of our chants 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Still think it's the working man's game.

I sit in the east stand next to the corner, on the edge of the 6 yard box. I personally think football has diversified, and the price of tickets have put a lot of working class people out of the game and that has contributed to the lack of atmosphere, in Germany cheap tickets, beer allowed in the stands and a cracking atmosphere and much higher attendances. Nothing wrong with radio 4 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

When sitting in the wrong end, you must respect the fans sitting around you.

Picture this - if Peterborough are winning the match in the first 90 minutes and then Derby equalise and win during injury time, would you be able to keep quiet? Also, how would you feel if this situation were reversed with Derby throwing away a lead? Are you planning to drink any alcohol before the match? If there is any doubt to your ability to keep quiet then you should rethink your plans.

Otherwise, as long as you can keep quiet and treat everyone around you with respect then there's no problem with sitting in the home end. You may even get a better view of the game - especially if you were sitting halfway down the pitch and in the upper tier.

Good grief I agree with Bris? I remember my Dad telling me stories of going up to Hampden every second year for the Home Internationals. No segregation, loads of banter between the Scotland and England fans and then at half time they would share hip flasks of whisky together, back to the banter second half and then down the pub together after full time. How did it all go from that to the crap we have today...

Ill be right there with you big-guy - main stand

Did it last season at sheff utd wasn't too bad, but jebus, I wished I was in the away end when we scored.

Let me guess... T4T?

Yes mate, only just discovered the joys of it. Already booked home Portsmouth tickets. =)

I had a Barnsley fan sitting next to me at the recent PPS game, though he didn't tell me til afterwards. Don't know why, as we regularly exchanged comments about the game throughout the match and I'm sure he stood up when the Rams scored (though he had the decency not to utter a word when they did!)

Just to show how incredibly hard I am, the one time I sat in an away end and went mental when Derby scored was at Millwall. OK, I was in a hospitality box and the boxes either side of us were empty. It was when we won 1-0, sturridge scored, it was the start of that great run that saw us promoted under Jim Smith.

The only other time I've sat in a home end was at Highbury when, as a teenager, me and my dad got "removed" at half time, walked along the pitchside and thrown into the away pen (to great acclaim from the travelling Rams' fans!) We won that day too, 2-1 - Deano got the first, can't remember who scored the second but it was right at the end of the season when we were down the bottom and Arsenal were top of the league. The home fans were not pleased!

Generally I try to aviod at all costs, and I'd rather not go if it means having to sit on my hands and keep quiet all match because if that's the case what's the point in going?

I had a Barnsley fan sitting next to me at the recent PPS game, though he didn't tell me til afterwards. Don't know why, as we regularly exchanged comments about the game throughout the match and I'm sure he stood up when the Rams scored (though he had the decency not to utter a word when they did!)

Just to show how incredibly hard I am, the one time I sat in an away end and went mental when Derby scored was at Millwall. OK, I was in a hospitality box and the boxes either side of us were empty. It was when we won 1-0, sturridge scored, it was the start of that great run that saw us promoted under Jim Smith.

The only other time I've sat in a home end was at Highbury when, as a teenager, me and my dad got "removed" at half time, walked along the pitchside and thrown into the away pen (to great acclaim from the travelling Rams' fans!) We won that day too, 2-1 - Deano got the first, can't remember who scored the second but it was right at the end of the season when we were down the bottom and Arsenal were top of the league. The home fans were not pleased!

Generally I try to aviod at all costs, and I'd rather not go if it means having to sit on my hands and keep quiet all match because if that's the case what's the point in going?

Wasn't that the season 1988/89 when we finished fifth, not near the bottom, Deano bagging both of them, the fırst a pen and the second a sublime volley from the corner of the penalty area in the dying embers..I think that result meant Arse had to go to the Scousers in a winner takes all game a few days later and they got the winner in the last minute..We did the double of them that season, Gee... screameeerrrrrrrr! at the BBG. 4 points of Manure - great days...

Wasn't that the season 1988/89 when we finished fifth, not near the bottom, Deano bagging both of them, the fırst a pen and the second a sublime volley from the corner of the penalty area in the dying embers..I think that result meant Arse had to go to the Scousers in a winner takes all game a few days later and they got the winner in the last minute..We did the double of them that season, Gee... screameeerrrrrrrr! at the BBG. 4 points of Manure - great days...

yes mate i was at Highbury that day.

Saunders made Adams look like a pub player that day.

ball in from George Williams and Deano smacks in a superb volley

a great day out in the smoke

Archived