Sitting in the home end at an away match.

trekkie_ram

In the 2008 season, guy in front of me in the home game vs ManUre (just for ianm) was clearly an away fan and we all noticed. The fact we held on to 0-0 for about an hour was clearly getting him more anxious as the minutes ticked by, and the second they scored he left, clearly relieved.

It was funny.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the OP, if it's still terraced by the time we play them, why don't you just jib in the away end? I know a load of Man Utd fans who bought tickets for the home end at Leeds and just piled into the away end by hook or by crook. If it can be done at that fixture, Peterborough away should be p*ss easy.

Personally, if I wanted to go to the match, and only home end seats were available, i'd either try the above, or go in the home end, and would have no qualms about jumping about like a nutter if we scored. Some c*nt might have a few digs at you, but oh well, bruises heal.

Having said that, it p*sses me off when other teams do it at ours, but happily the few times i've noticed other fans in our end (mostly in the Prem season), most Derby fans either point them out to the stewards or in the case of the Man Utd fan in the FA Cup 4-1 defeat, push them down the stairs.

Bris - to me the atmosphere is the single most important factor at the football. We could lose 10-0 to Forest with Camp scoring a hattrick, but if our fans outsang theirs, and put on a good show and showed the pride in the team 100%, I would be happy. It saddens me that you care so little for it, when without it, football would be (and is) a hell of a lot worse without atmosphere at the games.

As far as the causes of the lack of atmosphere at games today... All seaters, working classes priced out (that's not to say the middle classes don't contribute to the atmosphere - i'd say i'm middle class, but still go to the game with the sole intention of being as loud as possible), but it is a factor, over-zealous stewarding when it comes to standing/flags/flares etc, lack of desire amongst most fans to actually lend themselves to create the atmosphere...

I wouldn't fancy mingling with other fans. I did it at Barnsley once, I had to sit with the tykes while Dav lived it up in the away end. I told the kids to sit still and not cheer the rams, I think it would have got ugly as the spoken venom was hostile to say the least. So I just donned my broadest Barnsley accent and attempted to disappear into the crowds and watch with a quiet smile when the away end erupted after we scored 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> I always thought Barnsley was an ok place and only sat there because it's familiar to me but that changed my mind.

YR has a good point - who in their right minds would want to mingle with the florists? Or Millwall? Not me, I wouldn't want to risk putting the kids in a situation which could be volatile. Does anyone really believe that there wouldn't be any trouble? No chance. Millwall fans in particular have a reputation that preceeds them and it's not a good one.

In an ideal world segregation would be unneccesary but it's not an ideal world we live in is it and that's why I think it serves it's purpose.

Wasn't that the season 1988/89 when we finished fifth, not near the bottom, Deano bagging both of them, the fırst a pen and the second a sublime volley from the corner of the penalty area in the dying embers..I think that result meant Arse had to go to the Scousers in a winner takes all game a few days later and they got the winner in the last minute..We did the double of them that season, Gee... screameeerrrrrrrr! at the BBG. 4 points of Manure - great days...

You're right Archie - dunno why i have it in my mind that we were down near the bottom - probably just the default setting in my brain these days! I remember walking out and all the gooners thinking they'd blown the title etc etc.

Archived