Should Nigel Get A Contract Extension?

ram2767

Just a general question I think we've all thought about over the last couple of weeks. Do you think Nigel Clough deserves a new contract? When do you think is the right time to decide this? Now? At Christmas? At the end of the season? And how long should it be extended by if he were to get one?

My answer: Wait till the end of the season. I don't think we'll be promoted this season but I'm not ruling it out. So if we are promoted, 3 year deal. Otherwise playoffs, again 3 years. Other top-half, 2 years. Bottom Half, 1 year. Relegation...kinda obvious eh?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry disagree we sig vn him now for 3 years before a club like Blackburn who have limited funds sacks Steve Keane and offer him a deal. They will offer him more wages and will give him some funds to spend. We would then lose Brayford and Shackell from our team.

This is his team and if you wait till the end of the season this could become a distraction for the players and could divert them from what they are doing now and that is winning. If they fear the manager will not be there especially after this start of the season what signal does that give the players??

End of the season is when he should be judged properly. No other Championship club are guna poach him, on paper his record in league football is poor. Plus, i dont think he would want to sign for any other club, it would need a really special offer for him to be tempted away and he's not going to get that.

Wait till the end of the season, top half of the table and i'd offer him a one year deal. Bottom half and it's time to move on.

Ok, ok, how about this. put an offer on the table and tell him its his to sign when the seasons over. But if we're promoted there will be a different contract offer? Simply because I don't think Nige will go to Blackburn.

I was not suggesting for one minute he would. If this run continues and you were Clough knowing as some fans have realised that over the last 2 seasons he has been shafted by the board in the transfer windows and the wage cutting that has gone over this time and you have met the target set by the board couple with the 4th best start in the league. HOW WOULD YOU BE FEELING?

Have I been used? Is this is it for the next couple of seasons? Are the bored going to shaft me? etc thats how it affects managers and players. Blackburn was an example in the sense that they will be sacking their manager soon and Clough would be a potential manager who a club like Blackburn would look at. If no contract came and a prem team came to talk to you what do you do? Do you hope for a contract? do you consider for your families sanitiy and security move to a new club?

I would offer a contract

Why would Blackburn look at Nigel Clough?

His record is as follows.. 2 promotions with Burton Albion in 10 years

14th place finish in the NPC followed by a 19th place finish

Nigel wouldn't even be considered, especially when there are a host of managers with better records out of work, and those in work at other jobs.. He has absoloutely no PL experience and very little at this level..

He wouldn't even be a 200/1 shot.

As for offering NC a new contract, this is finally his squad. His first season with his team. Forget the past 2 seasons, they've gone, along with the personnel with them. (Only S.Davies survives).. On Saturday against Millwall we had 8 NC signings, 2 academy players who NC has given opportunities to and S.Davies.

Surely we should be giving him a fair chance now it's his squad. He has sole responsibility. Give him 2/3 years like we would any other manager.. Let's forget the past 2 years and go from this point on. Who knows, he may prove some of us right (and we'll languish in the bottom half) or he may prove some of us wrong (and he'll get us promoted)..

He deserves his chance, I'd hate for us to get rid and he builds his own squad with another team and gets them promoted.. At least let him have his crack, what's the worst that could happen?

Why would Blackburn look at Nigel Clough?

His record is as follows.. 2 promotions with Burton Albion in 10 years

14th place finish in the NPC followed by a 19th place finish

Nigel wouldn't even be considered, especially when there are a host of managers with better records out of work, and those in work at other jobs.. He has absoloutely no PL experience and very little at this level..

He wouldn't even be a 200/1 shot.

As for offering NC a new contract, this is finally his squad. His first season with his team. Forget the past 2 seasons, they've gone, along with the personnel with them. (Only S.Davies survives).. On Saturday against Millwall we had 8 NC signings, 2 academy players who NC has given opportunities to and S.Davies.

Surely we should be giving him a fair chance now it's his squad. He has sole responsibility. Give him 2/3 years like we would any other manager.. Let's forget the past 2 years and go from this point on. Who knows, he may prove some of us right (and we'll languish in the bottom half) or he may prove some of us wrong (and he'll get us promoted)..

He deserves his chance, I'd hate for us to get rid and he builds his own squad with another team and gets them promoted.. At least let him have his crack, what's the worst that could happen?

...Erm, they did take on Paul Ince. And Steve Keen. Not exactly proven managers. I think that's exactly the kind of club that would want him, although I don't think he'd want them.

Anyway, that's an aside. I say get a contract offer out now.

He's building his own side and we're seeing the reward. We can't keep chopping and changing, otherwise we will never get better than we are today. I don't think anyone would have done a better job over the last two seasons of cost cutting, certainly not anyone on the wages Nigel Clough is on, so it's unfair to judge him, really. But if we are going to, I say he did a damn good job of keeping us in the division.

He's got the academy set up well, and already we're seeing some youth products becoming pivotal squad members. I'd hate to see the work being done at the moment get interrupted.

CONTINUITY IS KEY. SIGN HIM UP.

Pretty sure there is a 14 page thread not that far away with pretty much the exact same discussion

[url=

Not really, I thought about it but the guy who made that thread clearly just wanted to vent his anger. This I'm asking if he should get it, when, and how long for.

Yes- for life but on a normal contract (ie like us real people have to deal with-notice periods and no paying of contracts if sacked). I honestly don't think he would go anywhere else unless England came knocking. He is doing his best in difficult circumstances and no-one else would have done any better. I don't think that the board have "shafted" him either- he knew the task when he signed up and he has delivered. Simple as that- The only problem now is that if we don't finish in or around the play offs after our great start people will be calling for his head even though they would never have expected to be up there pre- season.

He is Derby through and through and I think that the club will show him loyalty as I am sure he will show the club- long may he reign!

a 1 year rolling contract would suffice

Maybe but contracts are pointless anyway- the only thing they are used for is by the managers themselves to ensure they get a massive slab of cash even if they completely f*ck up! They can walk out of the club whenever they feel like it. Why put a time limit on it? It should be- "right, you are **** at your job therefore you are fired- don't let the door hit your arse on the way out". OR "I have been offered a job at a bigger club, I'm leaving here is my 2 weeks/ months notice".

Yes- for life but on a normal contract (ie like us real people have to deal with-notice periods and no paying of contracts if sacked). I honestly don't think he would go anywhere else unless England came knocking. He is doing his best in difficult circumstances and no-one else would have done any better. I don't think that the board have "shafted" him either- he knew the task when he signed up and he has delivered. Simple as that- The only problem now is that if we don't finish in or around the play offs after our great start people will be calling for his head even though they would never have expected to be up there pre- season.

He is Derby through and through and I think that the club will show him loyalty as I am sure he will show the club- long may he reign!

It's a shame it's taken so many pages of rants before we get a succinct answer to the question. I also happen to agree with it, especially with the raising of expectations, this good start may count against him in the eyes of many a short sighted supporter.

Archived