5 man subs rule.

derbyram1994

I think this rule is stupid mainly because it plays against derby county compared to other championship clubs who have small squads and their finances are messed up so they can save a few bob.

I was thinking when our players currently injured become fit their will be lots of possible 1st team players not even on the bench, just think we have green, barker, tyson to come back for starters and this means people may have to give way their place on the bench who will think they deserve to be their surely this isn't good for team morale??

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ooooh old school, the way things are today I can't believe we coped with one sub and essentially the same starting eleven every week on mud bath pitches. How come we didn't have so many heavily wounded players back then?

I think it's down to the boots tbh. Boots nowadays are that flimsy, thin and light no wonder theres all sorts of injuries.

Yeah, I think you're spot on - never had foot injuries / broken toes (or should I say metatarsil). I also think the fact that the footballs are so light and pitches so carpetlike might also (peversely) be a factor as players would have been stronger rather than the fleet footed whisps that seem to grace the football pitch these days. Was looking back through some old programmes from eighties the other day and the players seemed to be a lot more solid than they do these days.

The rules stupid. You don't have to name 7 subsitutes - there were several occasions when we didn't.

But then again, you don't really need 7. Players want to play, if they're the 3rd man on the bench or the 17th or in the stands, they just want to play, so I don't see how it hurts the players so much, or reduce the likelihood of youth players entering the first team.

However many players we have on the bench, we can only bring 3 on. I don't see how it hurts us.

He's right though, if we've got, say 7 subs, and a couple of them have got bad hair, say it's a bit windy, then we can always bring someone else on, but with only having 5 to choose from then we could be forced to play one with bad hair, that would be a disaster IMHO.

Archived