Non-Derby County games thread

ANGERMAN1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did Scotland and Wales end up in the same group?

That would be like us getting San Marino and Timbuktoo in the same group. Jammy for the rest of the sides in that group.

San Marino and Moldova are probably less of a threat. Timbuktu would be a nasty, testing away trip.

Agree with a lot of what curtains said.

Ukraine came to present a tough line up to break down and hit us quickly when they got the ball. They did it very well at times.

Johnson looked a massive threat going forward, Milner was neat - don't get the criticism.

OK the centre backs weren't pinging it around like Beckenbauer, but they're centre halves - what do we expect?

Weak link for me was central midfield. The Gerrard/Lampard pair when Ukraine had the ball - not natural defensive midfielders, not mobile enough. Cleverly when we had the ball - had a right lesson off Tymoshuk, and fluffed his line 3 times when he should have scored, two of them easy.

Defoe's goal stands or Cleverly slots his chance and I reckon we cruise on and win easy.

We'll still win the group, we'll still be asking for a miracle to get past the last 16 at the finals. That's why international football bores me and will do until we get another player capable of turning a game on his own like Gazza. And don't give me Rooney. He's done sod all in an England shirt for ages.

The same problem when we had Brayford as an attacking RB and Lee Croft as a static RW.. It doesn't work, because everytime the RB moves forward there isn't any space behind the opposing fullback if the RW (Milner) doesn't cut inside, or doesn't hit the byline..

You're overthinking that Bris. Croft was two leagues out of his depth, end of chat. Worst signing Clough's made.

The same problem when we had Brayford as an attacking RB and Lee Croft as a static RW.. It doesn't work, because everytime the RB moves forward there isn't any space behind the opposing fullback if the RW (Milner) doesn't cut inside, or doesn't hit the byline..

Milner is a defensive RW that can't cross very well (it's OK to be defensive if you can cross like Beckham).. People expect way too much of him, like he's gained a reputation for being some kind of terrorising winger (someone like Di Maria).. The problem he has is that Man City paid so much for him (his real value would be aound $8mill rather than the $20mill+) and that people think he should be far better than he is.. He offers good defnesive work in games against better opposition, against mediocre opposition like Ukraine he's going to look ****)..

The whole of our rightside is just wrong..

The underlying problem with this England team is they simply lack the basic pass and move football that the best teams do at will.. Even those that aren't particularly high up in the rankings (Japan, Mexico, Chile, Belgium, Croatia, Colombia etc.) are far superior than England at basic pass and move football (something you need at International level)..

And while I'm on a roll, it was Englands left that produced nowt until later on, Ox-Ch was largely anonymous, ditto Baines - where is their pile of grief?

Alpha would you have disallowed Defoes goal. I was a bit disappointed with Lescott and Jags distribution from the back.

I thought Cleverly was unlucky not to score and so was Wellbeck. Lampard and Gerrard did ok. I just can't buy into Alan Greens negativity on 606. We are not the greatest but we stuck at it. The young Chelsea left back who came on looked good as did Sturridge. Milner tried his best. We tried to pass the ball and didn't just lump it.

All in all we are not the best but I applaud the effort of the players tonight.

I thought England deserved a point or more.Defoe scored a fine goal. I just think Roy Hodgson got it wrong last night. Too many players looked confused about what to do. Lampard I thought played well enough. Just think Hodgson didn't play to his and Gerrards strengths. I know they're getting on a bit. But they will always be the type of players they are. Action man and a tidy midfielder who arrives late in the box. If age effects their ability, I don't see either of them being able to do any other role.

When Parker and Wilshere back I think England should never use Lampard in a deep position ever again.

I agree with Bris, Ukraine were more comfortable on the ball than England.

Johnson's runs can appear to be effective ... then you realise he is in the Nathan Tyson mould i.e. kick it and run after it. Baines isn't up to cleaning Cashley's boots I'm afraid, I've only ever seen him spurn cross after cross for England when he does get himself into attacking areas. Milner is the epitome of the gulf of class between us and the top 5 or 6 footballing nations, he wouldn't even have a cap to his name.

I'm not going to criticise the youngsters but I think even by a young age you have an idea whether they've the potential to be "world class" or not. The Ox in particular has to prove (in time ofcourse) hes not another Theo Walcott. Regrettably England seem to be the same one dimensional side regardless of personnel, younger players seem to be groomed into our traditional way of doing things.

Didnt think Baines was that bad to be honest and although Millner wasnt as involved in the second hald think he had a good first half and think he should always be in an England squad due to his work ethic and also doesnt doing the less glam side of a midfielders game, as in coming back and covering, even though I really rate Adam Johnson if he added this to his game it would make him an even better player.

Glen Johnson is poor and has got worse over the last two years imo, think it is time to bed in Kye Walker at right back.

Overrall it seemed the four of Jag, Lescott, Gerrard and Lampard just didnt know how to pass forward or push up the field, even in the last ten mins it didnt seem like we were going for a winner we were happy to just try and keep the ball at the back.

Dissapointed but not end of the world we should still top this group and hopefully be playing better by the end of it!!!

I think Johnson could be alright if he remembered he's an important defensive role. Brayford might not be as good but he gets the defending bit sorted first. As do many many marauding fullbacks. I think Johnson has watched too much Dani Alves.

Alves plays in a great team. Defending isn't something hes needed to do much. Glen doesn't play for a team who can give him such freedom.

And Milner, well I don't know what the lad can do when his position is being invaded by a teammate all the time. He should probably cover RB but I think he was trying to help attack. Never stood a chance.

Works against better teams because Both get pinned back and defend naturally. When we have to go out and play though....

Walker and Richards for me. I know Richards is possibly not as convincing as Johnson. But he does play RB when he's supposed to. Walker should be pressing now?

Walker and Richards for me. I know Richards is possibly not as convincing as Johnson. But he does play RB when he's supposed to. Walker should be pressing now?

Agree, for me now Johnson probably isnt the best right back for Liverpool, dont think he should even be in the England squad now as imo Walker and Richards are better right backs and Richards offers cover at centre back

Off the top of my head David Martin.

Smug git. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

If I was trying to mount a defence I'd suggest that Martin was a might be, a development player, whereas Croft was supposed to be the man. In relative terms, Croft was worse. In absolute terms, your right.

Archived