It's quiet isn't it?

Perky1106

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anderson was poor yesterday and i have never thought he was great

Him and Barker at the end of the season before last were one of the most reliable pairings we've had for a while at PP, imo. Their goals to game ratio was one of the best for years (in defensive terms), and they wored very well together.

Just a shame about his injuries. I wouldn't expect a quick return for him now.

Holding midfield is an interesting thought G Star, not sure hes got the energy needed though. Having said that, he is built like John Eustace and can defend well enough, might've worked quite well.

Stuff sending him out on loan to help another club, let him get experience here, he's good enough to hold his own now and can only get better playing alongside Shackell or Barker.

PS Anderson's not that good, and either a permanent crock or he's swinging the lead, get rid.

Him and Barker at the end of the season before last were one of the most reliable pairings we've had for a while at PP, imo. Their goals to game ratio was one of the best for years (in defensive terms), and they wored very well together.

Just a shame about his injuries. I wouldn't expect a quick return for him now.

Holding midfield is an interesting thought G Star, not sure hes got the energy needed though. Having said that, he is built like John Eustace and can defend well enough, might've worked quite well.

Would not be my ideal choice but just had the thought watching him against Villa

Stuff sending him out on loan to help another club, let him get experience here, he's good enough to hold his own now and can only get better playing alongside Shackell or Barker.

I agree with that but think once Barker is back he will spend more time on the sidelines than on the pitch

PS Anderson's not that good, and either a permanent crock or he's swinging the lead, get rid.

When Barker and Shackell get here, and considering Addison is going to be knocking about too, O'Brien isn't going to be getting hardly any football, aside from 10 minutes here or there.

He'll need first team football. A loan will do wonders for him. Look at how much first team football improved Wilshere and Sturridge. They came back with much more confidence in their abilities, which is what he will need. Plus the experience will do him good, hes never played against Championship quality players, aside from the odd returning player in the reserves and the Birmingham match.

And those two were pretty poor. Barker and Shackell together aren't going to give him a look in at all for first team football, so I say we loan him out come January. Not like what I say matters, but that's what i'd do.

Alex I say throw him in the deep end and leave him here to start more game.

Barker won't be back for a while, and he will struggle with continuous injuries.

Anderson will probably be crocked, I don't see Riggott making any appearances so let's leave O'Brien in the starting XI consistently.

When Barker and Shackell get here, and considering Addison is going to be knocking about too, O'Brien isn't going to be getting hardly any football, aside from 10 minutes here or there.

He'll need first team football. A loan will do wonders for him. Look at how much first team football improved Wilshere and Sturridge. They came back with much more confidence in their abilities, which is what he will need. Plus the experience will do him good, hes never played against Championship quality players, aside from the odd returning player in the reserves and the Birmingham match.

And those two were pretty poor. Barker and Shackell together aren't going to give him a look in at all for first team football, so I say we loan him out come January. Not like what I say matters, but that's what i'd do.

Of course he will, he'll get the next few months for a start, and Barker won't play 90 mins straight away, by that time Shackell will be on a few yellow cards, they're not both going to play 90 mins of every game, theis is Derby remember, we're plagued with injuries.

I just think competitive football would be better for him than sitting on our bench from January onwards.

He isn't as good as Barker, if he were, he wouldn't be at Derby given his age. He's a cracking talent, but for the moment he needs to be playing. Once Barker is back, he won't be.

So let him learn his trade and get sharper somewhere else for six months when the transfer market opens again. It'll do him good. He's too 'raw' to be a starter for us in this league atm.

I just think competitive football would be better for him than sitting on our bench from January onwards.

He isn't as good as Barker, if he were, he wouldn't be at Derby given his age. He's a cracking talent, but for the moment he needs to be playing. Once Barker is back, he won't be.

So let him learn his trade and get sharper somewhere else for six months when the transfer market opens again. It'll do him good. He's too 'raw' to be a starter for us in this league atm.

Understand both sides of this argument, but I think it is the quality side of O'Briens game that is lacking, do you think this would be improved by dropping down a division or two?

Understand both sides of this argument, but I think it is the quality side of O'Briens game that is lacking, do you think this would be improved by dropping down a division or two?

Perhaps not two, but one? Sure. The quality of strikers even in League Two would be of better quality than those hes faced before, but League One would seem the best place I suppose. League One strikers would give him a real test, and after it he'll be a much better defender. I think that'd be much better for him than just bits and bobs of play here once Barker is fit. Play him until then, but after January look for a first team spot somewhere else till next season.

He needs to learn his trade against better quality and a loan spell would help him along with that. Had he been playing against Jerome/King yesterday he'd have been in trouble.

Just six months to get used to a better quality of striker, next season would be the next step, though i'm still not sure he'd be good enough to be starting for us. Another loan (to a Championship club), or a permanent third choice option would be what i'd go with from next season.

Perhaps not two, but one? Sure. The quality of strikers even in League Two would be of better quality than those hes faced before, but League One would seem the best place I suppose. League One strikers would give him a real test, and after it he'll be a much better defender. I think that'd be much better for him than just bits and bobs of play here once Barker is fit. Play him until then, but after January look for a first team spot somewhere else till next season.

He needs to learn his trade against better quality and a loan spell would help him along with that. Had he been playing against Jerome/King yesterday he'd have been in trouble.

Just six months to get used to a better quality of striker, next season would be the next step, though i'm still not sure he'd be good enough to be starting for us. Another loan (to a Championship club), or a permanent third choice option would be what i'd go with from next season.

An £18million England striker didn't give him too many problems 5 days ago.

An £18million England striker didn't give him too many problems 5 days ago.

Pre-season mate, a team worth over £50m were beaten by Hull City 3-0, wouldn't happen again if the match mattered. If we were to play that game in a competitive fixture, i'd be worried.

He's good, but he needs 'fine tuning', the experience will do him good. Look at how much its progressed other players, they get sent out on loan and told to go learn while there and come back better for it. It did wonders for Wilshere/Sturridge, it'll improve him no end.

Pre-season mate, a team worth over £50m were beaten by Hull City 3-0, wouldn't happen again if the match mattered. If we were to play that game in a competitive fixture, i'd be worried.

He's good, but he needs 'fine tuning', the experience will do him good. Look at how much its progressed other players, they get sent out on loan and told to go learn while there and come back better for it. It did wonders for Wilshere/Sturridge, it'll improve him no end.

But for every one that has progressed through going out on loan I imagine there are ten careers it has given a backward step....just look at some of the loans we have had over the years.

Ahh, but the trick is to find the players level and send him out on loan to somewhere that he'll be able to learn from. Rather than loaning a player out to a certain league just because he comes from a bigger club (Livermore for instance).

A loan to Tranmere for instance. An old-head like Ian Goodison to learn from and first team football for a few months. Admittedly, the team might not be great and he may lose a few games, but it'll prepare him. Hopefully find a mid-table team just so that they don't get battered every game though.

Yeovil for instance. That'd be a good place to be for a few months, they have a decent squad and they bring on quite alot of players.

Seems strange that some people are writing Barker, our club captain, off before he's kicked a ball in anger whilst fully fit.

Understand Alex's sentiments regarding first team experience on loan at a league 1 club. Where would he go though? Somewhere like Leyton Orient?

I also have that nagging feeling that we should keep him at PP so he can at least gain experience in the odd league game, cup games, so he can become a part of the Derby County mould. Same with Hendrick, you want them to be the DCFC of the future. So if Clough is here for the long term, they grow up as footballers with Clough.

Alex I say throw him in the deep end and leave him here to start more game.

Barker won't be back for a while, and he will struggle with continuous injuries.

Anderson will probably be crocked, I don't see Riggott making any appearances so let's leave O'Brien in the starting XI consistently.

agree sort of

certainly should get the next 5 or 6 games whilst Riggott gets fit

Seems strange that some people are writing Barker, our club captain, off before he's kicked a ball in anger whilst fully fit.

Understand Alex's sentiments regarding first team experience on loan at a league 1 club. Where would he go though? Somewhere like Leyton Orient?

I also have that nagging feeling that we should keep him at PP so he can at least gain experience in the odd league game, cup games, so he can become a part of the Derby County mould. Same with Hendrick, you want them to be the DCFC of the future. So if Clough is here for the long term, they grow up as footballers with Clough.

That sort of club yes, somewhere like that. For now we need him, and he'll get some invaluable time with Shackell, but when Barker gets back and Addison is around he's not going to be getting much time on the pitch.

So a loan would be a good experience for him, much like what Tottenham do with their youngsters, loan them out to clubs, each time increasing in quality, until they're ready for first team action or they know they aren't going to make the grade.

Doesn't always work (God knows what they were doing loaning Livermore to the Championship) but if you get it right then it's a good learning curve.

Still, give it a few years, O'Brien is going to be absoloutely quality. Remember seeing him for the youth team when he first signed for us, he looked far and above the rest of them even then.

Archived