Let's Talk al-Notts Rovers

Day

Forest are now only the first of many in my opinion who have to make drastic alterations to how a club is run. As has been said even if Doughty writes off his £60 million AND funds the shorfall of £11 million a year for 3 years those 3 years are going to be very very painful.

Forest have blown up but others are going to have to significantly tighten their belts. This is the start of a new way of clubs operating. Well overdue but excellent news. The days of the sugar daddy are over!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem is that ND is a fan and as such it clouds judgement. He has always felt the need to have his hand held (david pleat) or go for mangers with proven records. We know here what it's like to have a fan as sugar daddy - when it's good - it's great - but when it's bad it's bloody awful.

The key is what doughty wants to do about your insane level of debt. That's what would be worrying me. Not - whether or not you can get MoN or Roy Keane.

anyway - good luck - I feel you may need it.

at least attendances will go up. - oh **** - they won't!

Nigel has always said he has no intentions of 'calling in the debt' owed to him and i fully expect him to honour that; after all like u say he is a fan and he wants to see forest succeed. He has also said he will continue to support club through reaching the financial fair play rules so i cant see him requesting the debt in.

Nigel has always said he has no intentions of 'calling in the debt' owed to him and i fully expect him to honour that; after all like u say he is a fan and he wants to see forest succeed. He has also said he will continue to support club through reaching the financial fair play rules so i cant see him requesting the debt in.

The truth is, he has wasted a huge amount of money on managers he has appointed and on transfer fees he has sanctioned and wages deals he has overseen. Some would say he is deeply culpable in the mess that forest find themselves in - that's the least he can do.

btw - do the club own the shitty ground?

The truth is, he has wasted a huge amount of money on managers he has appointed and on transfer fees he has sanctioned and wages deals he has overseen. Some would say he is deeply culpable in the mess that forest find themselves in - that's the least he can do.

btw - do the club own the shitty ground?

No they don't. Rented off the council.

They're losing massive amounts every year thanks to Billy's wage bill and now our Schteve's added to that with some pretty poor players on big contracts. It sounds like he'll honour what he's committed to but unless someone comes in to buy him out there'll have to be a massive cost cutting process similar to what we've been through, which will take years to sort out.

Does this mean that shiny new 50,000 seat stadium is being put on hold? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Reading their forum, seems like the end of the world when we all know it probably won't be..

I don't see another buyer coming into the club, Forest make the biggest losses in the championship not only this but they already have a small squad, they can't trim the fat like we did which means they're going to have to be so clever in their decisions, otherwise they could wind up in a bigger hole. Despite some of the more deluded Forest fans, who seem to think Nigel Doughty is going to be pumping millions into the team again, but doesn't want to be chairman are fooling no-body, I don't think he'll ask for his money back, but I don't see him making anymore losses on that team so his backing will be small, there will be a few players for sale come summer who will be wanted is another question.

It's going to be interesting who they bring in as manager, I'm confident the people who will be making the decision in Nottingham are all scratching their heads, the best man for their job is currently in his last year of his contract here.. although I am sure he wouldn't even think of moving, I don't think they can afford anyone in a stable contract at another club either, so my guess for them.. Sean O'Driscoll who is currently gardening, ahem.. would be a good bet for them, and if not him then I fear their other option is going to be Roy Keane or someone of a similar ilk.

Interesting snippet off the BBC website...............

McClaren was reportedly unhappy about being unable to sign two players on loan.

"He was going to walk out anyway, I understand," said BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy. "He'd hoped to go out on a high note after the game against Birmingham.

"He was upset at not being able to secure two Premier League players on loan terms. The chairman felt the wages would be too high."

McClaren had stated after the 5-1 midweek defeat at Burnley that dramatic changes needed to take place at the club.

Welcome to the real world..........

Doughty won't call in the debt so thats some small degree of comfort for them. Their biggest problem is going to be trying to make themselves sustainable. As we've seen in recent years its not easy and its not quick. it really wouldn't surprise me if they go down in the short term but they'll come back. Eventually.

Doughty won't call in the debt so thats some small degree of comfort for them. Their biggest problem is going to be trying to make themselves sustainable. As we've seen in recent years its not easy and its not quick. it really wouldn't surprise me if they go down in the short term but they'll come back. Eventually.

Like Plymouth (?) Now that would be funny.

Like Plymouth (?) Now that would be funny.

It'd be funny for about 10 minutes, before we realise we've lost a great rivalry, potentially forever.

The last thing I want is Forest to fold, the second to last thing I want is for Forest to get a Thai billionaire (unless it all goes wrong). I think I'm happy for Forest to linger in the bottom half of the Championship for the next 5+ years.

Don't forget though, that they don't have as bad a squad as our first season back in the Championship under Jewell, and the right manager now could dramatically turn their season.

It'd be funny for about 10 minutes, before we realise we've lost a great rivalry, potentially forever.

The last thing I want is Forest to fold, the second to last thing I want is for Forest to get a Thai billionaire (unless it all goes wrong). I think I'm happy for Forest to linger in the bottom half of the Championship for the next 5+ years.

Don't forget though, that they don't have as bad a squad as our first season back in the Championship under Jewell, and the right manager now could dramatically turn their season.

Yes but there are plenty of other teams to play.

I think their squad is poor and lacks depth - add a pretty uninspiring manager into the mix - plus fickle fans a huge debt and the fact that they have to rent the ground - we are talking about a glorified pub team.

Be interesting to see who they get next. Certainly wee billy did well with some ordinary players.

Yeah, but a lot don't!

Spot on. Would any Derby fan want to swap places with Forest right now? No chance. Fact is, we're 3rd, they aren't.

Maybe when McClaren joined them, they all thought that this season would be a fast jog up the yellow brick road - nothing is ever that simple is it? Nigel knows that better than anyone, I hope he doesn't go end up on the wrong side of the A52. Get that contract sorted!!

I have just listened out of interest to the radio interview Nigel Doughty gave yesterday to Radio Nottingham. I have to say what a genuine, sincere guy he seems to be. Quite honestly the Forest fans who have called for his head don't deserve the support he has given them.

On a larger issue though surely this has to be the wake up call for all fans within the Championship that still think the only way forward is to buy it. Doughty quite clearly has reached the end of the line. The signal he is sending is now identical to GSE namely you need to recruit a manager who can find local/cheap talent and build a team not assemble individuals. Clubs have to finance themselves. It seems however that looking at the Forest message boards AND listening still to a few of our fans that lots of supporters still don't get it.

Realistically would we be happy if we were like Leicester? They are hugely indebted to very distant owners and saddled with potentially unsustainable wage levels. They may have success they may not but I wouldn't want to be in their shoes for all the tea in China. For me what ultimately comes out of this is that GSE have got it dead right. Credit to them.

Archived