Young Ram's Theological Discussion

Day

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
very good quotation of rennais Descartes, i think therefore i am, which translates to cogito ergo sum, we can prove the laws of gravity are real because we can test them and come out with the same answer over and over, if you are going into metaphysics of is this real then it becomes a farce and then anything goes really. We can safely presume, we exist as does the world and gravity.

I can only be sure that I exist. We will never be able to prove that the world and gravity exist. It could all be a dream, the only true knowledge is that which can never under any circumstances be false, i.e. 2 + 2 = 4.

while you are correct one cannot go into those bounds seriously, e.g.hume on the brick through the window, if we take our eye off it for a second how can we be sure that the brick breaks the window even when the window is broken. Also descartes isn't sure if he exists, only his mind, his physical body may not exist according to him. One cannot go into those bounds seriously, while we can't be completely sure there is enough to assume safely to prove that we do exist.

SillyBilly
I can only be sure that I exist. We will never be able to prove that the world and gravity exist. It could all be a dream, the only true knowledge is that which can never under any circumstances be false, i.e. 2 + 2 = 4.

You can't be sure you exist as you could be a simulation. Also 2+2 may not equal 4, a number code (maths) defined by man can be wrong. Giving 2 the numerical value of 2 units is akin to giving 2.99 * 10^8 as the speed of light, it is subect to its programmer. Its all BS though.

We can be safe in the knowledge that our mind exists. In actual fact the only things we have that we can rely on are our perceptions - and if they aren't reliable there's little point trying to understand anything. I have to rely on my experiences and perception in order to make sense of anything.

Archived