Jason Shackell

ShermanCardenas

Now this season we have come across teams like Barnsley, Ssausagehorpe, Norwich etc with two big centre halves who can head a ball hold the defensive line, put a tackle in, will not be out muscled, who become a wall. Now QPR Cb are not exactly mobile. All I will say is the two best CB in Prem league for me are Vidic and Terry there are many quicker cb in the league who can play football Ferdinand for one but is always liable to give the ball away, give me two no nonsense CB any time who will not be intimidated by the likes of Billy Sharp, who will win their headers, who will put their bodies on the line who play it simple and just will give 100% or not. No matter how much you dislike Barker BV although do not know how you can judge him on your dads say so when the majority are saying your old man is wrong and that they wish you could actually come and watch him but Barker is one such defender. The lad from Ssausagehorpe, Barnsley are bug strong lads who will be able to clear corners, be able to stop the through balls and speed is not the main thing reading the game and these two players can read the game well

Firstly Norwich have Leon Barnett who is a well rounded defender.. He's fairly quick accross the ground and can play it out from the back. You're 2 best CBs in the PL have better partners. Vidic is exposed by anyone with an ounce of pace, the two you picked are dynamite in the air but when up against a passing team that works the spaces they're in trouble. Ferdinand and David Luiz are more cultured, make more interceptions, and can play abit too.

Every good team thats ever played football have at least 1 rock at the back and the other that can bring the ball out. I'm sorry, but from the games I've seen of both last season and the season before, I don't see Barker being either.

I don't dislike Barker, anything but, I think putting DCFC before himself is brilliant and he's abit of a cult hero for us. However, IMO, he doesn't have the required talent to help build a promotion winning team. He's a NPC lower midtable CB struggling for injuries whose best years are probably behind him. I also disagree with him being able to read the game well, I just don't see it. But we all have opinions.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Firstly Norwich have Leon Barnett who is a well rounded defender.. He's fairly quick accross the ground and can play it out from the back. You're 2 best CBs in the PL have better partners. Vidic is exposed by anyone with an ounce of pace, the two you picked are dynamite in the air but when up against a passing team that works the spaces they're in trouble. Ferdinand and David Luiz are more cultured, make more interceptions, and can play abit too.

Every good team thats ever played football have at least 1 rock at the back and the other that can bring the ball out. I'm sorry, but from the games I've seen of both last season and the season before, I don't see Barker being either.

I don't dislike Barker, anything but, I think putting DCFC before himself is brilliant and he's abit of a cult hero for us. However, IMO, he doesn't have the required talent to help build a promotion winning team. He's a NPC lower midtable CB struggling for injuries whose best years are probably behind him. I also disagree with him being able to read the game well, I just don't see it. But we all have opinions.

Couldn't disagree more with you.

For a player who can't pivot or pass with his left foot for an entire season, it's been a wonder he hasn't looked completely sh1te.

The reason why we get exposed by players like Sharp and Hooper is that they have the movement to exploit our poor fullbacks and find the ball their rather than the centre. Last season it was Conolly, this season it was Roberts.

I remember two top-flight performances from a fully fit barker last season. Firstly, when we played Coventry at home, we saw a mobile Barker who could put the ball down and play. Secondly, when we played Newcastle, he completely dominated both Caroll and Ameobi. He won absolutely everything.

We've not seen the best of him, not by a long shot - he's not had a good pre-season behind him since he's been with us. But I simply can not see how you could argue he's a lower NPC player.

Remember at the tail-end of last season, we got 8 clean sheets in our final 15 games - with Nicky Hunt and Jay McEvelerly. Barker was insanely good in that spell - he simply had to be, otherwise those figures wouldn't add up. In that 15 games, he had a stable partner in Anderson. That's what he needs again next season, and I hope we can get that player in.

How many centre backs in the whole division would you class as quick? I can't think of any off the top of my head, they're all big brutes who put their bodies on the line, Jason Shackell has been one of the divisions top centre backs in the past 2 years so how wouldn't he be an improvement, seems there is a lot to do with speed but I am struggling to think of one centre back who is quick in this division, some are more agile than others but I wouldn't say Shackell was rigid, although he is big I remember him moving easily enough.

I don't see the problem. I think he would genuinely be a top signing for us.

Agree with your views on Barker Duracell..........100%

Do you think he could deal with a guy next to him with the speed (or lack of) of someone like Darren Moore (Maybe a bit extreme). Just like to see how many fans would be confident with that sort of CB pairing?

I haven't seen anyone agree with your view on Barker yet, not saying you're definitely wrong but how can you be so assured in your opinion. I think Barker is a top 6 centre back for this division, he is as good as any centre back we have had at the club in the rest era.

Lets be honest, if you want a quick, good centre back (no Nyron Nosworthy business) you have to spend big big money. never happening when a striker is so desperately needed. Shackell will be a decent bit of business imo

That a side would someone please point out a quick centre back in this division, the quickest 2 I can think of is Williams(swansea) and Barnett(norwich) although neither are exactly lightening just lighter on the feet than the rest.

I haven't seen anyone agree with your view on Barker yet, not saying you're definitely wrong but how can you be so assured in your opinion. I think Barker is a top 6 centre back for this division, he is as good as any centre back we have had at the club in the rest era.

Maybe we just look at it from different perspectives.. The best CBs I've seen at DCFC are Stimac, Taribo West and suprisingly Tom Huddlestone.. Even the Leacock under BD was much better. Each could tackle (Tom not so brilliantly) each weren't particularly quick but mobile enough to move accross the ground.. But what got the most is there ability to intercept the ball and bring it out from defence. We all have different opinions of defenders, IMO the best in the world that I've seen for me are Rio Ferdinand (3 years ago), David Luiz, Lucio and Gerard Pique because they can all play too.

Barker isn't even a dominant CB in the shape of Danny Shittu or Darren Moore. He's got one brilliant trait, he's brilliant in the air, and against Andy Carroll and Ameobi he may have looked a top CB once, but against any intelligent striker that can find space and has a decent turn of speed he's exposed. I've seen this many times, I'm not making it up to have some sort of Vendetta against Barker as I think the guys great, just not particularly talented.

I guess time will tell. But if Barker plays 90% of the season and we're badly struggling, ie. conceding alot of goals once again, then maybe it will be time to stop scratching our heads and look a little closer to home.. I'm sure it must hurt some people when you generally like a guy and want him to do well.. I've felt this with a fair few DCFC players, but after a while we need to ship these players out and bring in ones with more ability.. (even if they have less heart)

That a side would someone please point out a quick centre back in this division, the quickest 2 I can think of is Williams(swansea) and Barnett(norwich) although neither are exactly lightening just lighter on the feet than the rest.

exactly, really rated Sol Bamba when he played at PP, cracking buy from Sven

Theres a different between being quick and being fairly quick/mobile accross the ground. I'm not saying that were in dire need of a quick defender.. As even the best teams in the world don't particularly have 'quick' defenders.. I certainly wouldn't say Rio Ferdinand and David Luiz are quick, extremely mobile yes, but quick i.e. Jamie Ward quick, no I don't think so.

There are plenty of mobile defenders in this league that can spot interceptions far better than Barker thats all I'm saying, and if he was to be partnered with Shackell I think they'd get sliced open more often than not by quick strikers.

Theres a different between being quick and being fairly quick/mobile accross the ground. I'm not saying that were in dire need of a quick defender.. As even the best teams in the world don't particularly have 'quick' defenders.. I certainly wouldn't say Rio Ferdinand and David Luiz are quick, extremely mobile yes, but quick i.e. Jamie Ward quick, no I don't think so.

There are plenty of mobile defenders in this league that can spot interceptions far better than Barker thats all I'm saying, and if he was to be partnered with Shackell I think they'd get sliced open more often than not by quick strikers.

Got to disagree, Luiz is very very quick.

Smart defenders don't have to be quick.

sherman quick defenders don't always have to cost lots remember dean leacock, 300k and reasonably fast and was in the promotion team, you need 1 rock e.g. darren moore and one player cb, someone who sits behind and mops up and can cover for quick pace and can also play the ball out. If you had barker and shackell they would be two similar and would be out of kilter. Just my opinion and may be wrong have been in the past but have also been right.

out of interest is the Barker/Shackell compairson based purely on height because from what I've seen Shackell is a different player to Barker, he IS more agile and whereas Barker is more competent in the air, Shackell despite his height is more competent on the deck.

I haven't seen much of him, probably 7-8 times, more when he was younger and at Norwich, thought he was a brilliant player with a big future then.

Please tell me people are saying no based on his height and then stereotyping him as the big hoofing type? because that would be ridiculous.

shackle isn't the fastest of beings and from what i remember did very similar things to what barker did when he came here, won everything, he could play basic passes but nothing too extravagant. Frankly i wouldn't be comfortable with both of those 2 together as they are quite similar and it could lead to problems.

How much crazy skill do you want from a centre back?

Their primary concern is to get the ball out of our box. The rest of the team can take it from there.

A top 'no nonsense' defender is much more valuable than an average one that can play a few cheeky passes around strikers every now and then.

not crazy skill, but you can't have two center backs who just lump it as then it is hard to play the ball out and it creates pressure. The problem is when someone makes a criticism of a proposed signing etc people inflate one's opinions to make it laughable, i believe someone mentioned messi earlier. The fact is you need a ball playing center back someone like ayala who can mop up and clean out. Not two barkers we have one, he is valuable but if you put 2 in the same team it puts the defence out of kilter.

Archived