Michael Owen - Manchester United

Sir Me

Old Trafford. Really is a s*ithole, The seat in front will rip your shins off too.

White Hart Lane - Not bad.

St James Park - One of my favourites, very nice ground.

Just to clarify i do mean the one which Newcastle play at!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Trafford. Really is a s*ithole, The seat in front will rip your shins off too.

White Hart Lane - Not bad.

St James Park - One of my favourites, very nice ground.

Just to clarify i do mean the one which Newcastle play at!

Agree with St. James, saw England there a while back and was impressed. White Hart lne is a bit tired these days but is a "proper" football ground and reminds me of the good old days of standing on the terraces.

Old Trafford stinks of arrogance and money, also I hate the colour red which taints it even further!

Really?

Never been and always wanted to...... now, you've ruined it for me :(

White Hart Lane is another ground i want to go to (dunno why, looks good i suppose) and St James Park. People say White Hart Lane a dump?

Sorry Alpha - don't let me put you off. There were some good aspects - it didn't cost us owt to park for a start and from what I could tell, each stand has it's own car park. The Mega store has got some great framed pictures of past greats, Besty, the Charlton's etc and the sheer number of tills is way over the top but it was easy to imagine the sheer numbers come a packed match day. The statues were rather good too and there is a memorial on ES wall to remember the Munich victims.

There was a lot of space in the shop when we went in, I thought with it being the end of the season, they were getting rid of the old stuff but when we talked to a guy who worked there, he said it had all been sold and by the end of Saturday there would be nowt left at all.

Concourses were decent as well but the stairwells have to be the worst I've ever seen. The stadium is big but I think they've crammed in too many chairs. They're not quite as wide as PP with non existent leg room in front.

It's the surrounding area of Stretford which lets it down. One thing you can say about PP is it does look attractive and landscaped.

I don't think that bothers Manure fans though, I doubt they'd want it to change.

St James, is ok but like Dav says, you have to be careful when you're right at the top, it's very steep, as you'd expect with feckin hundreds of stairs.

Old Trafford is what it is, a massive ground that has been redveloped to the max, as ofr it being a **** hole, I would swap it with our souless bowl of a ground anytime, I don't care about the "landscaped" nature of our boring ground, in fact that is probably the worst bit about it, I want the ground to be in the middle of an area like Stretford, I want the street parking, I want the walking through the narrow terraced housed streets to get to the ground, I want the atmosphere outside the ground rather than Toys R us....actually...I just want to be back at the Baseball Ground...

And as for the parking at Old Trafford...go on a real match day and see if you can park near the ground for less than 20 GBP and get away from the place in less than 2 hours..!

As for the others....Newcastle's is great, right in the centre of town too, which is unusual, Tottenhams....well, if you were put of with United's because of it's surrounding areas....then DON'T go to Tottenham....proper football ground, still maintains it's roots.

Everton is always a good place to go.....and the best away ground used to be Highbury, unfortunately their new ground is like ours.......souless...

I dont think that man utd really care if it looks a **** hole; they take in a massive amount of income every week because of the size of the ground which enables them to pay higher wages to the better players and subsequently be successful so no i dont think man utd nor their fans care if the ground looks *****.

I dont think that man utd really care if it looks a **** hole; they take in a massive amount of income every week because of the size of the ground which enables them to pay higher wages to the better players and subsequently be successful so no i dont think man utd nor their fans care if the ground looks *****.

Radio 5 live had an interesting piece this morning that discussed the so called Premiere League "value for money league". They compared season ticket prices, facilities, entertainment value and success on the field. Man Utd and some of the other big boys did not figure to highly. The view was that they can charge high prices and not worry to much about window dressing the facilities because regardless of whether a few thousand grass route fans can afford the prices there will always be plenty of glory hunters with cash to spend that are ready to take their place.

The bottom line is that Old Trafford will always be full and if they continue to deliver silverware none of their fans will really give a hoot.

I don't think I'd want to go on a "proper" match day - it would be mental (well, maybe I'd go just once). That's why we chose to go when it had the smaller number of 30,000 in there. We wanted to have a good look around without being crammed in.

They must have dropped the car park charges too, we didn't pay a penny for the ES.

As far as the landscaping goes, PP just looks asthetically better, wether or not that takes away from the atmosphere is a matter for debate.

I noticed too that OT has it's own taxi rank and pelican crossing...:p

I don't think I'd want to go on a "proper" match day - it would be mental (well, maybe I'd go just once). That's why we chose to go when it had the smaller number of 30,000 in there. We wanted to have a good look around without being crammed in.

They must have dropped the car park charges too, we didn't pay a penny for the ES.

As far as the landscaping goes, PP just looks asthetically better, wether or not that takes away from the atmosphere is a matter for debate.

I noticed too that OT has it's own taxi rank and pelican crossing...:p

I hope you went to Lou Macrai's chip shop...? No trip to Old Trafford is complete without a bag of chips from there..

And as for the parking at Old Trafford...go on a real match day and see if you can park near the ground for less than 20 GBP and get away from the place in less than 2 hours..!

I did and I did.

Carling cup Semi-final

£5 to park, 20 minute walk to ground. Stayed to the end, waited for the mad crush of people outside the east stand to dissipate, walked to car and was on the M60 within 20 minutes of getting to the car, about 45 minutes from leaving the ground.

do yours?

I did and I did.

Carling cup Semi-final

£5 to park, 20 minute walk to ground. Stayed to the end, waited for the mad crush of people outside the east stand to dissipate, walked to car and was on the M60 within 20 minutes of getting to the car, about 45 minutes from leaving the ground.

Hardly "parking outside the ground" is it?

Just for the record..I think it is a GREAT ground...a gazzilion times better than ours...or Liverpools dump of a ground.

Just for the record..I think it is a GREAT ground...a gazzilion times better than ours...or Liverpools dump of a ground.

Its a gazzilion (really?) times bigger than ours, I'll give you that but it ain't a patch on St James, Anfield is ok- looks a bit tired though

Havent been to the big northern grounds but like all the big London ones, Highbury was great even though i was about 10 but can still remember standing on my chair to watch the game, we drew 0-0 and Delap missed an absolute gift. White Hart Lane was decent, looks completely different from what it does on the telly i though, luckily didnt have to get the tube there and walk from Seven Sisters. Stamford Bridge is good as well, like the away end there in the corner of the ground.

Went to Tottenham last season, was surprised at how it appeared from nowhere between the streets, The 'Crisp' stadium was the same for me, it seemed to appear between houses from nowhere - but I spoke to someone who had a different view of this, so maybe we came from different ends. Burnleys was very much in the middle of a residential area, got there nice and early and parked on a terraced housing side street within spitting distance of the turnstiles.

TBH I'm glad our PP is where it is, everything is comfortable walking distance, more than ample parking within decent walking distance, train station & pubs all close by, comfortable stadium with a reasonable atmosphere, it would be amazing if we could establish ourselves as a top half premiership team, and expand to a full second tier.

i work at old trafford and sometimes inside it's got a good atmosphere, it can be quiet at times.. even when full. plus it's quite a way from the city centre and it's a nightmare to get away from on public transport (or at least on the bus!)

But you said " park near the ground" which is what I was replying to. Wish people would write what they mean. :p

Its ok, nothing special, I really dont consider it great, and is full of aggorant glory hunting t*ssers, I remember going there back in the late 80's (I think) paying on the gate and watching us in a 3/4 full ground beat them ( saunders and Goddard I think )

Even there own captain refered to something about Prawn sandwich fans, so it too can be souless, I wouldnt swap it with ours, because we would have to fill it with glory hunter fans that dont come from Derby aka Man Utd

i have been to old trafford to watch both england and derby play man utd, personally when we played united at the carling cup semi final, the atmosphere from united was non existent, however it does depend where you sit at old trafford for stuff like leg room etc, less leg room in the away end than in the stretford end for me. I personally really like the ground, prefer it to anfield.

Archived