Billy Sharp and James Coppinger

Ambitious

I think he'll be a Jody Craddock type player when fully fit.

A top defender in this division, and can do a job in the league above, even if there are a fair few better options out there.

Suppose it's all opinions! We'll see when he gets fit what he's made of again.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No saying he will get fit again, not trained for an entire season and having a further operation which revealed the damage is worse than first thought? I hope it isn't the case but maybe that is the fittest we can ever expect him to get...

It isn't that he can't get fit, for this entire season he put off his operation to make sure we were ok at the back.

We just need to make sure he gets fully fit before throwing him into the fray again, he's too eager to play, which is a great thing but it means we often see him half fit for a while, or half fit for an entire season like this year.

That's the frustrating thing- if he had been fit all year I think we would have held on in a few games we lost/ drew at the death. Saying that I am glad we finished with a whimper as it has hopefully made our owners (whoever they are) dip into their pockets to make us competetitive

I don't agree with your opinion but that's all it is an opinion.

could argue that you look at stats where I go on what i've seen and read/heard about players, plus I'll take past years into account also.

going on this season, you would say on stats that Blackpool are a better attacking side than Spurs and DJ Campbell is a better goalscorer than Drogba, Torres, Rooney and Anelka.

The two most rated defenders this season from what I've heard are Ashley Williams and Steven Caulker (didn't even make your list) Ayala was a big part to Hulls defence until they ripped him out, I wouldn't say currently he is any better than Barker.

We all have opinions, I don't think Barker is anything special but I don't think you can argue him being a top 6 player, especially when you have to class Wes Morgan as a top 6 player.

I was asked to use 15, I just picked 15 off the top of my head that I believe are better than Shaun Barker.. Maybe I'm wrong, but facts speak for themselves, we've not had a decent defence since the partnership of Darren Moore and Dean Leacoock, 2 players that season who are better than Barkers current level.

As for Blackpool being a better attacking team than Spurs.. Blackpool have better strikers on form, DJ Campbell has scored more than Crouch (3 odd goals) Defoe (4 goals) and Pav (8 goals) have probably put together.. However theres more to than just sticking a ball in the net for strikers..

Just like there is for defenders.. I'm not entriely looking at the goals conceded column.. I'm talking about Barkers strengths and weaknesses also, in which his weaknesses drag him down to a second tier defender. He's slow, he doesn't read the game that well and he sure as hell can't handle the football like anywhere near as good as the majority of the CBs in the championship.

We can all point to Darren Moore having these traits, however he actually read the game pretty well for a guy his size and bullied strikers.. Alot more than what Barker can do.

Maybe Barker does have a potential that could make him a top 6 defender.. However I don't see him ever reaching that with his injuries, age, lack of training etc.. If I was the manager I'd seek a replacement within the next year or so.

I currently live about 6,000 miles away from Derby so I don't get to games ie. Pride Park. The season just gone I've seen around 13 live games, plus highlights of others.. I generally get my info DCFC related when I chat to my dad as he still goes along to see them.

I have a poor opinion of all our players if I'm honest with you.. We've been so bad for so long it's unreal, and I can't stress how envious I am of 'smaller clubs' who are buying decent PL players for 10mill plus.

We're currently so far behind Bolton (for e.g) it actually hurts. I hate the fact that no-one here knows who Derby are yet people quite happpily acknowledge Fulham, Stoke and Bolton for being midtable PL clubs. Especially when Bolton and Fulham both have/had Mexican players.

Barker is a player we bought for 900k, he's a player who now has a sell value (well what I believe clubs would pay for him) of around 600/700k. He's is not a 'top' player like people have said, top players are like Stimac, Eranio and Wanchope who would all fetch $7mill+ in todays market.

Although I feel just about any one of 18 teams can realistically make promotion, I look at our players and think.. Who would actually make Swanseas team or Cardiffs team. Derby are in a position, or have been, of selling players.. If Barker was any good teams would be interested, the fact is none wasn't, even when he was available at Blackpool it was a choice of us or Forest (who finished below us).

Sorry this post is longwinded.. I just don't get the notion that Barker is a good player. I don't ever feel 'wow, we've got a top player on our hands here' when looking at our squad.. The last I felt this was for Huddlestone and Idiakez who were very good at this level.

I hate canada geese and swans are the only ones who stand up to the bastar*s. That is the only reason for my avatar.... I chose the black swan because they aren't found in England, well they shouldn't be anyway but for the next few days they are fine by me. I'll be annoyed if they have a good day out in London in the near future though.

I have seen black swans on the Camel estuary near Padstow

I currently live about 6,000 miles away from Derby so I don't get to games ie. Pride Park. The season just gone I've seen around 13 live games, plus highlights of others.. I generally get my info DCFC related when I chat to my dad as he still goes along to see them.

I have a poor opinion of all our players if I'm honest with you.. We've been so bad for so long it's unreal, and I can't stress how envious I am of 'smaller clubs' who are buying decent PL players for 10mill plus.

We're currently so far behind Bolton (for e.g) it actually hurts. I hate the fact that no-one here knows who Derby are yet people quite happpily acknowledge Fulham, Stoke and Bolton for being midtable PL clubs. Especially when Bolton and Fulham both have/had Mexican players.

Barker is a player we bought for 900k, he's a player who now has a sell value (well what I believe clubs would pay for him) of around 600/700k. He's is not a 'top' player like people have said, top players are like Stimac, Eranio and Wanchope who would all fetch $7mill+ in todays market.

Although I feel just about any one of 18 teams can realistically make promotion, I look at our players and think.. Who would actually make Swanseas team or Cardiffs team. Derby are in a position, or have been, of selling players.. If Barker was any good teams would be interested, the fact is none wasn't, even when he was available at Blackpool it was a choice of us or Forest (who finished below us).

Sorry this post is longwinded.. I just don't get the notion that Barker is a good player. I don't ever feel 'wow, we've got a top player on our hands here' when looking at our squad.. The last I felt this was for Huddlestone and Idiakez who were very good at this level.

If you read our stats on paper, they don't look great for many of our players, true. But if you'd seen Barker at full fitness you'd know how good he is. There are many reasons why we've been letting goals in, without Barker and Hulse the season before this I think we'd have definitely gone down.

A fully fit Barker is one of the best centre backs in this league, at the very least he's top ten. I've reckoned him at 5th/6th, and he's only held back by the fact he can't play the ball that well. But then not that many centre backs can, nor do many need to.

I hope you get to a game where Barker is fit at some point, you'll see why most people rave about him.

• 1 month later...
I really can't see us spending £2.8m on one player.

Would be impressive if true though!

More likely is WHU or Brum.

Maybe not, but if the Varney deal goes through there will have been precious little new money spent yet, as promised, so;)

Archived