Derby County v Bristol City

CumbrianRam

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we finish on 49 points, In the second tier, this surely msut be our lowest finish for a good 18 years or so?

Maybe someone whose a tad older than I am will know the last time we was either in the 3rd division or relegated from the 2nd division with a points score of lower than 49.

The fact is we are currently a side which is no better than any of the 3 sides going down. We have scraped a few decent results together and pulled ourselves clear of the drop, crucial wins against the Blades Leeds and Swansea, and a handful of boring draws and we have managed to hang on in this division. The squad Clough has had to work with once Commons left has been weak. Ward has been a key player and the attack is nowhere near as potent without his input. Clough has made plenty of mistakes this season and is still learning the ropes as a manager at this level that is for sure. Maybe our side end to the season will prompt the cash tight board to help Clough further strengthen for next year.

The fact is we are currently a side which is no better than any of the 3 sides going down. We have scraped a few decent results together and pulled ourselves clear of the drop, crucial wins against the Blades Leeds and Swansea, and a handful of boring draws and we have managed to hang on in this division. The squad Clough has had to work with once Commons left has been weak. Ward has been a key player and the attack is nowhere near as potent without his input. Clough has made plenty of mistakes this season and is still learning the ropes as a manager at this level that is for sure. Maybe our side end to the season will prompt the cash tight board to help Clough further strengthen for next year.

Manager given time to find feet

Board not

Well, the board has it all to do this summer, thats for sure.

Clough and his team are now on borrowed time if they fail to deliver us a decent season next year, with, supposedly some proper investment in their pockets. All the pressure will be on Clough and co to deliver next season, if geniune funds for squad strengthening are provided.

[QUOTE=Stimacked;158500]The fact is we are currently a side which is no better than any of the 3 sides going down. We have scraped a few decent results together and pulled ourselves clear of the drop, crucial wins against the Blades Leeds and Swansea, and a handful of boring draws and we have managed to hang on in this division. The squad Clough has had to work with once Commons left has been weak. Ward has been a key player and the attack is nowhere near as potent without his input. Clough has made plenty of mistakes this season and is still learning the ropes as a manager at this level that is for sure. Maybe our side end to the season will prompt the cash tight board to help Clough further strengthen for next year.

Please just let this season end. I want the summer of transfers and next season to start so I can be excited by Derby again. I have developed such apathy towards the club after the last 4 seasons.

Yeah this is rubbish ruibbish ribbisg Derby Losing at home to Fester Forest Cardiff etc is bad enough but losinga t home to Donny Bristol and cos means this season has at times been the worst Derby team since Peter Taylors team of 1984.

There has been no progress since Clough took over, none at all that I can see. There are no promising youngsters waiting in the wings and unless there is massive activity on the summer transfer front (ie at least 10 new players added to the squad) I think we have to look for changes at the top.

As for adding players what sort of palyers can we attract when the team finishes the season with 4 straight defeats and 4 wins in 20 odd games?

This is the side he has had to make do with. He would have added better players if he was given the funds by the board. He has been very diplomatic with his frustrations about the lack of investment.

To the boards credit, they have stuck with Clough, through thin and thin this season, when in most other clubs he would have been shown the door.

This is the side he has had to make do with. He would have added better players if he was given the funds by the board. He has been very diplomatic with his frustrations about the lack of investment.

To the boards credit, they have stuck with Clough, through thin and thin this season, when in most other clubs he would have been shown the door.

Yeah but is that because they want a yes man which Clough has been? (ironic given his fathers record)

There has been no progress since Clough took over, none at all that I can see. There are no promising youngsters waiting in the wings and unless there is massive activity on the summer transfer front (ie at least 10 new players added to the squad) I think we have to look for changes at the top.

As for adding players what sort of palyers can we attract when the team finishes the season with 4 straight defeats and 4 wins in 20 odd games?

The only progress has been in reducing the wage bill and managing to beat the drop for 3 successive seasons while streamlining the squad.

Not changing the manager but attempting to build slowly is some kind of progress for this club in a sense.

If we were to add Ward and Fielding, that would be a start.

Is it because keeping Clough was the cheaper option ? Let's be honest here, any replacement gaffer wouldn't have come without the promise of dough to sort out the wheat from the chaff, and we've got our fair share of chaff.

The goodwill I have wished on Clough has been immense, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion he's just not up to the job and that hurts me to type that.

Stimacked, I agree that him and his team are going find support harder to come by if results don't improve next season especially if the board make good on the investment.

I don't know if he would have bought better players with more money and he's having to 'make do'. Guess we'll find out next season. Big season for both.

Funny I said before this season it was a big season for both manager and board. Beginning to feel like groundhog day.

The only progress has been in reducing the wage bill and managing to beat the drop for 3 successive seasons while streamlining the squad.

Not changing the manager but attempting to build slowly is some kind of progress for this club in a sense.

If we were to add Ward and Fielding, that would be a start.

I agree with that. They look the best of the loan bunch to me. The biggest challenge is to find a way to improve our midfield as it looks so weak compared to most others. I like Bailey but we need at least two more there, a fit Barker, a fit Addison, at least two new "no risk" strikers, a left back...crikey, it's going to be some close season!

I can't say I'm at all surprised that we lost today. At least 6 of those playing aren't really up to the required standard in truth. No more "for the futures" please Nigel/ Board. Let's have some for next season this time.

Archived