season 2010/11, good things

ilkleyram

Reserves / youngsters

Another good thing for me is the performance of the reserves.

Granted they have played a lot of "first teamers" but they are top of the league and cup winners - with all 5 goals being scored by players Under 20 years old.

Lets hope the future is bright......

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This sounds like clutching at straws. All teams have enjoyed a lot of good moments or even whole games including the bottom 3, but if you are 19th NOT enough of them and presumably the 18 teams above us have all had more good things.

That is the way I look at it. All the teams above us have more positives to take away and vice versa for the teams below.

I will bet you £100 we finish higher than 19th next season.

If you're so positive, give me 100/1 odds and you're on.. :rolleyes:

Next season could be very similar to this season, even with a load of cash available. Hull and Leicester spent big but never really threatened the top 6. Whats rumoured as Cloughs targets worry me slightly. Plus the fact I don't rate him as anything special.. I think there are far better managers around in this league currently with smaller clubs than Derby.

Next season I think only Palace, Barnsley, Donny, Coventry, Brighton, the other promoted team and perhaps Watford should they lose a a few key players will be happy to stay up. The rest will aim for the top 6.

Next season could be very similar to this season, even with a load of cash available. Hull and Leicester spent big but never really threatened the top 6. Whats rumoured as Cloughs targets worry me slightly. Plus the fact I don't rate him as anything special.. I think there are far better managers around in this league currently with smaller clubs than Derby.

Next season I think only Palace, Barnsley, Donny, Coventry, Brighton, the other promoted team and perhaps Watford should they lose a a few key players will be happy to stay up. The rest will aim for the top 6.

I also think the teams coming down will be of a better standard, compared to last season. We could have West Ham, Wigan & Blackburn/Wolves coming down, all of these clubs bar Wolves have been established in the Premier in the past few years.

Last year, three relatively weak teams came down, Blackpool would probably be classed among these teams (Charlie Adam & David Vaughan are the only players of proper PL quality they have IMO).

Who?

I wonder how they would have got on after having to chop the wage bill and sell their best players...

Who?

I wonder how they would have got on after having to chop the wage bill and sell their best players...

Good point.

It doesn't matter how big your club is or whatever your budget is - cutting back whilst trying to improve is a tough job, especially in a league where one player can turn you from a bottom 6 club to a top 6 club.

This league is all about momentum. That's why you see clubs come up from league one shoot up this league like a rocket whilst clubs coming down sink like a stone, and why clubs like Coventry linger constantly in the bottom half.

I hope we can get the pendulum swinging again next season.

Good point.

It doesn't matter how big your club is or whatever your budget is - cutting back whilst trying to improve is a tough job, especially in a league where one player can turn you from a bottom 6 club to a top 6 club.

This league is all about momentum. That's why you see clubs come up from league one shoot up this league like a rocket whilst clubs coming down sink like a stone, and why clubs like Coventry linger constantly in the bottom half.

That, my furry friend, is all spot-on. One genuine 20-goal-a-season striker in January and the retention of Commons could have seen us in the play-offs now.

That, my furry friend, is all spot-on. One genuine 20-goal-a-season striker in January and the retention of Commons could have seen us in the play-offs now.

Indeed.

The funny thing is, we had intentions to do both in January, it was both unfortunate and down to a lack of experience from Glick.

We intended to keep Commons, offered him what he was asking for, and our interest in Conor Sammon was serious, and he'd be a 20-goal man at this level I reckon.

Indeed.

The funny thing is, we had intentions to do both in January, it was both unfortunate and down to a lack of experience from Glick.

We intended to keep Commons, offered him what he was asking for, and our interest in Conor Sammon was serious, and he'd be a 20-goal man at this level I reckon.

Down to a lack of financial aggression on both counts. Commons and Sammon would be with us now if we'd offered to pay them more than Celtic and Wigan. And that's the reality of market forces - a player is worth what someone is prepared to pay him, not what the club sets his value at.

Personally I doubt Sammon would bag us 20 goals a season. Taking a player from the Scots Prem is like taking a League One player in terms of proven ability.

The best and worst thing about this year has been very similar and that is the performances we have put it, the performances in brief have been spectacular, watching us tear Watford apart at home was amazing to watch, the best football I've seen from a team in this division since Reading beat us 5-1 to get the record points total in the division, we were that good IMO.

The inconsistency has been a major factor though, we've got a small squad and we've had problems and it's knocked us.

Frank Fielding, we've found a brilliant keeper for the next few seasons hopefully.. a future star, already a full england international sort of and he is soon to be a Derby player, got to be a massive plus! also later on Jamie Ward has soon filled Kris's boot, with a lot more fight and effort which is deeply needed in this division, he can be a big player for us.

HOWEVER for me the biggest plus is that we have finished the re-building process in terms of depleting the squad, the club is looking for improvement over the summer and the correct noises are coming out and looks like the right sort of players are being linked, I've always been a believer in 'think big, achieve big' if you say 'we're looking for a top half finish' you're more than likely going to finish in the bottom half, if you say 'no, actually we want to be in the top 6 or top 2.. whatever' it installs confidence and belief, this is what we're putting in place next season, I'll be looking at every game like a winable game rather than this season thinking 'probably won't win here, there or there but could win this and that' SHOULD never go into a game thinking anything less than a win is acceptable!

Good point.

Love the pendulum analogy - spot on. I fear the teams coming up from League 1 far more than those coming down.

Indeed.

And the lack of genuine targets they identified... A lot of people harp on about how difficult a job it is to improve whilst cutting back on resources but didn't Jim Smith do exactly that when he took over, there was a great deal of player turn over that summer and we got promoted come the end of the season. I know i say the same thing over and over but I think a more experienced manager, a "wheeler dealer" would've had us higher up the league. I'm not knocking Nigel and i'm desperate for him to succeed but he really needs to branch out in terms of the games he watches...

As for Sammon, he's missed some absolute sitters for Wigan so I'm thankful we were cheap on that account...

Archived