We're safe.

BatesDCFC

Duracell isn't totally insane in thinking that relegation wouldn't be a disaster...

I need a...a.....thread…where you....put more stuff...in the thing...when a bit…you know….drunk…thread….

This must be it…

hic

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the teams that are so much better off after relegation to the third tier how many are I'm the prem? The rest are no better off than us at the moment, league wise as they are in the same league. I don't see why you need to go down to rebuild and cut costs as that's what we have done the last two seasons

Yes, that's what the benefits are.

I think we've spent far too long trying to find the causes. We've just got to start with a blank canvas. We've tried changing manager, we've tried changing the playing staff. Neither have worked.

Perhaps if we changed leagues, and started all over again....that's my thinking anyway.

I'm not convinced I'm totally mad anyway :redface: I'm not saying relegation is good, I'm just saying it might be good for us in our current set of circumstances. I think I've done enough to justify my madness now anyway :)

Well theoretical potential benefits, of which I am 99.9% would not materialise. The thing is most fans know the causes, a lack of investment in the current squad and a manager who is still learning the ropes at this level.

Confidence isn't a chronic illness as we saw earlier in the season and as we saw when we got promotion. So what I'm saying is we haven't inherited a lack of confidence from relegation. We just have a squad that is very average at this level and a consequence of that is we will lose games and at times belief.

Relegation would not provide a blank canvas. We would still have players in contract, possibly the same manager and board and of course fans.

Of the teams that are so much better off after relegation to the third tier how many are I'm the prem? The rest are no better off than us at the moment, league wise as they are in the same league. I don't see why you need to go down to rebuild and cut costs as that's what we have done the last two seasons

Er Man City...(and only a dozen years ago) .:D

I don't think it works out too well for most....can't think of any other team that it has acted as a watershed for improvement.

Confidence isn't a chronic illness as we saw earlier in the season and as we saw when we got promotion. So what I'm saying is we haven't inherited a lack of confidence from relegation. We just have a squad that is very average at this level and a consequence of that is we will lose games and at times belief.

Well, that's where we strongly disagree then!

Maybe confidence isn't the right word - perhaps "losing culture" is best. What we're seeing now is proving that we have a major major issue now, surely - the fact that basically the same side which tore apart Championship teams for a solid month then went on one of the worst runs in the whole of the English football system.

As I said, Billy Davies didn't actually find a cure for the confidence thing, and come the Premier League season, he completely lost it.

Also, as a club, we very rarely draw games. I wonder if there's a statistic saying how many games each league club has drawn since 2000 - I bet we're right near the bottom. We win some, then the confidence goes, we lose some more. That's basically been our pattern since the turn of the millenium.

The only manager, and I mean the only manager, who seemed to have this club sussed was George Burley. It was perhaps a bit of a fluke appointment, as really, I think we would have given the job to anybody who was free at the time, and decent managerial appointments very regularly happen on purpose. But Burley got belief in to our players, and the staggering thing was, he turned Derby County in to an away team.

His sacking was a disaster, in my opinion, an even bigger one than signing Ravanelli. That's where it began, for me.

That's my explanation for it, and that's just a theory. But this long-running lack of confidence in the club, going beyong this squad or any recent squad, is definitely there.

It's all about moment. All those teams I've mentioned will be up in the top half of this league season, without spending much at all. Will we? No.

As Bris said, the kind of player you get as a big club in League One can develop in to a top player at this level. Our current transfer policy would work and it would get us off the ground.

Perhaps it's a tad strong to say we need to go down, but it won't do us anywhere near as much harm as many think IMO.

It's all about moment. All those teams I've mentioned will be up in the top half of this league season, without spending much at all. Will we? No.

As Bris said, the kind of player you get as a big club in League One can develop in to a top player at this level. Our current transfer policy would work and it would get us off the ground.

Perhaps it's a tad strong to say we need to go down, but it won't do us anywhere near as much harm as many think IMO.

You need a reality check like the one we got on the first day of the 1980-81 season, we were all stood there at Cambridge United in our 'we'll be back in 81 t-shirts as we lost 3-0. it took us about 8 seasons to get back up to division 1. Trust me, getting hammered at places like Rochdale, Brentford and Colchester would not be fun.

You need a reality check like the one we got on the first day of the 1980-81 season, we were all stood there at Cambridge United in our 'we'll be back in 81 t-shirts as we lost 3-0. it took us about 8 seasons to get back up to division 1. Trust me, getting hammered at places like Rochdale, Brentford and Colchester would not be fun.

Was'nt you who let the cows out into the car park just before kick off was it?

What a day that was at Cambridge. I can still remember the hangover!:D

Assuming that would happen. I agree, that would be awful.

But am I really that mad to compare us to similar-sized clubs that have gone down to the third tier recently as opposed what happened to us three decades ago?

Erm, no, not me m'laud (cough, cough)

Lol.

I agree with you about relegation, the Bunny has miximatosis i think.

I bumped into an old friend the other week and some of those trips away in the 80's cropped up. Football wise it was terrible but the craic was brilliant. Happy days (off the pitch at least).

Was'nt you who let the cows out into the car park just before kick off was it?

What a day that was at Cambridge. I can still remember the hangover!:D

My favourite was seeing someone from my village rowing the coracle across the pitch at Shrewsbury.

can't remember that one froggg. Can remember being in the big field that was the main car park before the game. We were sat in the sun having a tinny or two when a furniture removal van pulled up. The driver got out and rolled up the back door, a big group of lads jumped out with a large pub garden table complete with huge umbrella and several cases of beer.

Union Jacks were unfurled and hung up and a raite good session ensued.

Until some sausagery bumpkin opened the gate to the next field and drove a herd of cows through.......

One bloke stood having a wee next to the gate and turned round open mouthed watching the cows run through the car park, he had his knob hanging out and was still pissing.

Some Derby lads herded the cows out on to the main road completely blocking it. Never did find out what happened after as we made our way into the ground a bit sharpish as the old bill were a bit peeved.

Its the little details that stay with you. I know we lost 3-0 but i really can't remember owt of the match itself.

Good day tho'...:D

Archived