Has Nigel Mentally Thrown The Towel In?

Chris Peduck

I can assure you I never misheard him and it was only two weeks ago that he told me.

I've also no reason to not believe what he told me.

I can assure you that Savage isn't on £20+k a week now, he is on £15k + bonuses. See :-

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/derbycounty/fb_news.php?storyid=6037

The 'top up' was £8k a week - the deferral was £7k a week - hence £15k a week over seasons 2009/10 & 2010/11.

You say Glick told you he had a wage deferral to aid cashflow, but that the 1 year extension was on the same terms of £20+k a week - makes no sense does it? That means the deferred element from 2009/10 would push his 2010/11 wage to over £30k a week!!!

His original contract was £22k a week basic - that's £25k a week average with N.I./bonuses etc., so I can see where Glick would get that figure from.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can assure you that Savage isn't on £20+k a week now, he is on £15k + bonuses. See :-

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/derbycounty/fb_news.php?storyid=6037

The 'top up' was £8k a week - the deferral was £7k a week - hence £15k a week over seasons 2009/10 & 2010/11.

You say Glick told you he had a wage deferral to aid cashflow, but that the 1 year extension was on the same terms of £20+k a week - makes no sense does it? That means the deferred element from 2009/10 would push his 2010/11 wage to over £30k a week!!!

His original contract was £22k a week basic - that's £25k a week average with N.I./bonuses etc., so I can see where Glick would get that figure from.

Was this thread called 'Robbie Savage's salary'? You sound like his personal assistant, rattling off his figures like you know the bloke!!

I've heard it from Glick himself that Savage is still on the same amount per week as he first signed, which is mid £20's...

Part payment was just deferred to help cashflow but he is still getting the whole amount of his contract.

Complete waste of money IMO and one of NC's biggest mistakes.

Absolute nonsense.It was well documented at the time that his wages were to be spread over 2 years,with a small increase on top (otherwise he would have played the second season for nothing).This bears all the hallmarks of a maufactured dig at Clough-and not a very good one at that.

Absolute nonsense.It was well documented at the time that his wages were to be spread over 2 years,with a small increase on top (otherwise he would have played the second season for nothing).This bears all the hallmarks of a maufactured dig at Clough-and not a very good one at that.

and the £15k a week figure is that given by Savage himself in his book, in print and everything.

I'm not convinced it's such a big waste of money. He's got a wealth of top flight experience, and pretty importantly, experience of being despised - I'm sure he has mentored alot of our younger players coming through to handle pressure.

He's absolutely not our worst performer, and at times adds experience on the pitch. That can't always be quantified, but I felt more comfortable with him in the middle of the pitch holding on to the lead against Swansea than I would with Addison and Green in midfield. He'll say things to the players that help them through That will change with experience. Saying that other players don't like him is purely an opinion and not based on anything.

The one thing that can't be disputed is that he can't keep up with the pace of the game anymore, hence why he is retiring. His footballing ability is fairly limited and it's always been his energy that has got him through, and this is now starting to fizzle.

I think it's a much more tragic waste of money that we pay a wage to Gareth Roberts, and (if we) contribute to Robinson's.

You must be watching a different player to the one I see, he has experience, but doesn't use it at all, he's a complete passenger, I've never seen him geeing up the players around him, or if he does then where's he been for the last 18 games?

He doesn't put a foot on the ball and dictate the play in any way shape or form, every time he touches the ball it's one touch back where it came from or hooks it blindly up the pitch. He doesn't win tackles, doesn't win headers, gets a strop on every now and again and goes chasing after the ball out of position. He might as well not have been there for their goal on saturday, but most times you see the opposition just passing it round him because he hasn't got the legs to get near them or the football brain to anticipate what they are doing.

Apart from that he tosses his pony tail and talks ******** in the media and everyone thinks he's a 'character'.

You must be watching a different player to the one I see, he has experience, but doesn't use it at all, he's a complete passenger, I've never seen him geeing up the players around him, or if he does then where's he been for the last 18 games?

He doesn't put a foot on the ball and dictate the play in any way shape or form, every time he touches the ball it's one touch back where it came from or hooks it blindly up the pitch. He doesn't win tackles, doesn't win headers, gets a strop on every now and again and goes chasing after the ball out of position. He might as well not have been there for their goal on saturday, but most times you see the opposition just passing it round him because he hasn't got the legs to get near them or the football brain to anticipate what they are doing.

Apart from that he tosses his pony tail and talks ******** in the media and everyone thinks he's a 'character'.

At last :) an accurate description of our Captain!

I obviously agree, and do feel this is one main reason we have been so poor, but hey ho what do I know, I'm just a fan.

At last :) an accurate description of our Captain!

I obviously agree, and do feel this is one main reason we have been so poor, but hey ho what do I know, I'm just a fan.

Agree too, spot on description for me.

As for the start of the thread. Nonsense, please people don't think everyone who doubts Nigel's potential to manage us effectively is as bad as this. Clearly some just look at anything to have a pop at him.

I've heard the recession and the Japan earthquake are Savage's fault too. It's his fault we only got 11 points in 'that' season and he definitely shouted 'boo' at Robinson and Ward when they missed open goals in the last two home games.

I've heard the recession and the Japan earthquake are Savage's fault too. It's his fault we only got 11 points in 'that' season and he definitely shouted 'boo' at Robinson and Ward when they missed open goals in the last two home games.

What a bizarre post. Nobody is blaming him for everything that has happened at Derby recently, this season or even the past 18 games. Just that he seems more obsessed with his own image and looks like a spoilt teenager on the field rather than gee'ing players up or helping them with their confidence. Seen more composure and support coming from Addison then Savage during the tough times.

As for his media being good for the club. Although it gives us publicity too many people think he's a tool and therefore it doesn't reflect well on the club.

Wilko Ram, the following is a quote from 'The Ram'

'I obviously agree, and do feel this is one main reason we have been so poor, but hey ho what do I know, I'm just a fan.'

That indicates that he is a major part in our underperforming.

I'd much more keen to apportion that responsibility to the likes of Gareth Roberts and Theo Robinson.

Wilko Ram, the following is a quote from 'The Ram'

'I obviously agree, and do feel this is one main reason we have been so poor, but hey ho what do I know, I'm just a fan.'

That indicates that he is a major part in our underperforming.

I'd much more keen to apportion that responsibility to the likes of Gareth Roberts and Theo Robinson.

Savage is a major part in our underpeforming, Roberts has also been poor, but only been here 8 or 9 months, and Robinson has only been here a few weeks, yet scored the winner at Sheff Utd and no one complained then. Sat he missed a sitter, but we won. He needs time, but in my opinion, he has pace and reads the game well, he needs to practice his control and first touch and we "could" have a very good prospect.

Savage is finished nearly, and brings nothing to the team and imo hasn't done for 3/4 seasons - other than his own publicity.

The midfield suffers imo because we do not have a playmaker, and the side has struggled because we have a Captain who can no longer compete at even Championship level - he retires in 9 games, so even he acknowledges this mate.

Not having a go, just my opinion.

BTW Going back to the original subject, Clough (and I'm pro) has certainly not thrown the towell in. If anything it has proved to me he is determined to continue even under the monetary constraints he has been dealt. Metgod said it as well, we need better players, lets hope Glick can get the message across the pond to the Billionaires, or we will continue to shop at Primark.

Savage is a major part in our underpeforming, Roberts has also been poor, but only been here 8 or 9 months, and Robinson has only been here a few weeks, yet scored the winner at Sheff Utd and no one complained then. Sat he missed a sitter, but we won. He needs time, but in my opinion, he has pace and reads the game well, he needs to practice his control and first touch and we "could" have a very good prospect.

Savage is finished nearly, and brings nothing to the team and imo hasn't done for 3/4 seasons - other than his own publicity.

The midfield suffers imo because we do not have a playmaker, and the side has struggled because we have a Captain who can no longer compete at even Championship level - he retires in 9 games, so even he acknowledges this mate.

Not having a go, just my opinion.

BTW Going back to the original subject, Clough (and I'm pro) has certainly not thrown the towell in. If anything it has proved to me he is determined to continue even under the monetary constraints he has been dealt. Metgod said it as well, we need better players, lets hope Glick can get the message across the pond to the Billionaires, or we will continue to shop at Primark.

HE READS THE GAME WELL?!?!?!?!?! Wow. I honestly can't think of a player recently who struggles to read the game more. His touch is terrible, he's a pansy in challenges, he makes token jumps for headers, and runs around alot to convince people he's trying. He also missed a sitter against Sheff Utd as well as scoring. So missed two easy chances in a few games, scored a tap in, and has otherwise been hugely ineffective.

I'm not saying Savage is the best player, just not the worst.

I agree about a playmaker, but that isn't Savages fault. He's retiring because he's old. He obviously still can compete - if he couldn't, the midfield would have been overrun by Swansea on Saturday.

Overall I agree with the point you're making, but I really don't agree that he's a major part in our downfall. We've had to sell our best players, which I guess is alot more to do with it.

Has anyone noticed that actually, technically we are doing better than we have in either of the last 2 years?, we are improving just ever so slowly

From clough

""It would be nice to get to the 50 mark. The last couple of seasons it has been 46 and 47 points, so we have to get above that."

We currently sit on 43 points with a possible 27 points up for grabs(not that we will win all of those games :p) but you never know we may end up on around the 60 mark which i think would be a definate improvement

Plus, as mentioned in another thread the majority of our team is still so young and i think will get better in the future(brayford,bailey,cywka,davies,addison,doyle,fielding,robinson,alya etc(provinding we get some of those perm and not loans..)), a few do need to get pruned and replaced with some expierence but once our confidents back(along with a competent steve howard like striker), we'll be on the up

He's talking about amount of points to avoid relegation.

We got 54 points 08/09 and 56 points 09/10.

Beatable....but even if we did it, people will no doubt say it was all down to early season form.....as if it doesn't count :rolleyes:

Beatable....but even if we did it, people will no doubt say it was all down to early season form.....as if it doesn't count :rolleyes:

But yet simply it was those same set of players WITH confidence who got us that "purple patch" ;)?

What i think we lack most is a howard or kuqi, during that purple patch i think kuqi started the majority of those games and was used as a platform to build around, once he went, we lost that option and the losses set in, downward spiral from there

If we end the season on 57 points, have we made progress? (it would require 4 wins and 2 draws from the last 9 games)

But yet simply it was those same set of players WITH confidence who got us that "purple patch" ;)?

What i think we lack most is a howard or kuqi, during that purple patch i think kuqi started the majority of those games and was used as a platform to build around, once he went, we lost that option and the losses set in, downward spiral from there

It wasn't though, was it. It was a different set of players.

We had Commons, Kuqi, Moxey. We didn't have Theo Robinson, Jamie Ward and Gareth Roberts (playing regularly). It's a different team.

If we get more points than last season great, but I think real progress indicator should be that we are playing at the same level we were two years ago. One little difference. Our wage bill is £8m, where it was £18m a couple of years ago.

Watching Nigel at the match yesterday and seeing the T.V. highlights, there was no animation or emotion whatsoever from him- he spent a lot of the time leaning against the dugout. Add to this the fact that Metgod did the post match interviews, and Radio Derby's comment that Nigel seemed at the pre match press conferences like he didn't want to be there- has he mentally thrown the towel in?

Ya just gotta believe me….he crawled outta this pod….it looks like the manager....but it’s an imposter I tell ya…

http://www.virginia.edu/insideuva/2001/31/images/filmfest-InvasionBodySnatch

Archived