Has Nigel Mentally Thrown The Towel In?

Chris Peduck

If we end the season on 57 points, have we made progress? (it would require 4 wins and 2 draws from the last 9 games)

Yes because the wage bill has been cut by a stupidly large amount(10m~?) yet if we manage to finish on the same amount of points or even better it shows that we are still managing to do just as well, without those extra's who can now be replaced

Savage will leave this year and technically should free up more wages....i can only hope we actually buy with a bit more quality than players out of contract at burton :(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we end the season on 57 points, have we made progress? (it would require 4 wins and 2 draws from the last 9 games)

I don't agree with the points total being the measure of progress in the slightest. Last year appeared to be progress, by virtue of Cardiff turning up without their key players who were being saved for the play-offs.

What I saw on the pitch didn't look like progress from the previous year.

There was an illusion of progress earlier in this season, but without a striker and our chief creator in Commons, we look even weaker, so I don't think that is progress.

Talk of debt reduction is misleading, as virtually every other club in the football league carries some level of debt. It wasn't unsustainable debt, there were no creditors banging at the door - and debt reduction hasn't lead to an increase in investment by the so-called backers.

So, in terms of the football club, I struggle to consider the 'celebrated' debt reduction as being of any real benefit, other than to the owners when they finally sell out.

However, if we manage to stay up, given the reduction in talent and replacement with cheapies, freebies and loans, I will chalk the season up as a success in the management team column.

Why? Because if you take the best players out of a weak team and avoid the drop, it's not bad going.

Roll on 6 x proven championship quality players in the summer!

I don't agree with the points total being the measure of progress in the slightest. Last year appeared to be progress, by virtue of Cardiff turning up without their key players who were being saved for the play-offs.

What I saw on the pitch didn't look like progress from the previous year.

There was an illusion of progress earlier in this season, but without a striker and our chief creator in Commons, we look even weaker, so I don't think that is progress.

Talk of debt reduction is misleading, as virtually every other club in the football league carries some level of debt. It wasn't unsustainable debt, there were no creditors banging at the door - and debt reduction hasn't lead to an increase in investment by the so-called backers.

So, in terms of the football club, I struggle to consider the 'celebrated' debt reduction as being of any real benefit, other than to the owners when they finally sell out.

However, if we manage to stay up, given the reduction in talent and replacement with cheapies, freebies and loans, I will chalk the season up as a success in the management team column.

Why? Because if you take the best players out of a weak team and avoid the drop, it's not bad going.

Roll on 6 x proven championship quality players in the summer!

Pete, you may want to sit down for this, I agree with most of this. I don't see we've progressed at all. 2 more points over a season isn't progress, the style of football wasn't progress. This season, at the start, I saw progress in terms of footballing style but that faded and went back to last season. I have not seen progress at all in terms of finances, people can say about debt reduction all they want but if you reduce the debt by the extremities we appear to have (given the time period we've done it over) then you affect team progress.

Let's hope that next season we can see some finance progress and more on the pitch progress (although you know my feelings on the liklihood of the latter).

Archived