Has Nigel Mentally Thrown The Towel In?

Chris Peduck

our 1st win at home since november and people acting like its amazing?? derby fans baffle me, left to these lot we'll be the size of burton & tanning themselves from cloughs backside.

Its a shame, we was lucky their keeper was poor, we wasnt amazing ourselves dont get me wrong 3 huge points, but 3 seasons of relegation and the board and clough still have the nerve to tell me they are going forward!? is a joke

coventry have sacked boothroyd today!! i mean come on, they have had a few bad games and there owners have sacked him, i mean these managers must look at clough n think how the hell have u stayed in a job for so long, i still fear were going down till that table says we are safe

Savage hes been playing **** now for three years.

You joined this forum last month.....and after watching him help make this the fourth straight season of struggle, you still decide to put his name in your Forum name thingy.

That's what baffles me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Savage hes been playing **** now for three years.

You joined this forum last month.....and after watching him help make this the fourth straight season of struggle, you still decide to put his name in your Forum name thingy.

That's what baffles me.

Only 3 years? I'd have said 15+ :rolleyes:

I can also never see why people use his name or pics in their siggy's :confused:

Worst decision that Clough made was to extend his contract imo.

Some of Gibsons comments don't half annoy me. He always tries to stir up rubbish and he knows it. He's a journalist and thats his job at the end of the day :p but my issue with him, not aimed at this subject is that sometimes he bases his "facts" by looking on forums like ours!! Look at the Savage issue.

When he interviews Glick (which is getting boring), he asks the same questions at every interview, so the anti-board fans dont get the answers they want and for the sit on fence fans, like myself it just gets so lame listening to the same drab! And that he's so negative. Listening to the post match reaction was like listening to Victor Meldrew!

I've been critical of Gibbo's questioning of Glick in the past,mainly because I don't think he's been tenacious enough.He recently let him get away with simply saying that revealing the figure for players' wages wasn't club policy.He should merely have referred him to this:-

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Glick-reveals-accounts-says-Rams-sound-footing/article-1964858-detail/article.html

...and asked him why policy had changed all of a sudden.

However,I'm encouraged by Gibbo's new found tenacity.When Glick responded to a question about tv revenues by saying that Gadsby should be questioned on certain issues,he didn't let him escape and finally got the figure on our behalf,so well done Gibbo.

I also noticed he was onto Metgod's comments regarding the type of players we can/can't go in for in a flash.I think Gibbo may be cottoning onto a possible discrepancy between reality and a picture being painted.

It's quite important that we get a picture of this year's finances.With a rapidly falling wage bill,turnover boosted by the solidarity payment and what looks to be a surplus on fee transfers,then one might be forgiven for thinking that there shouldn't have been much of a need for the introduction of fresh investmentl to provide working capital this year.

The significance of this lies in the fact we've been recently told that £25m of new investment has been put in overall. 08/09 saw £7.74m introduced,which leaves a balance of c£17m.Now if little (if any) was needed for this year,then the spotlight falls on the actual figure stated in the next accounts.I await their publication with interest.

our 1st win at home since november and people acting like its amazing?? derby fans baffle me, left to these lot we'll be the size of burton & tanning themselves from cloughs backside.

Its a shame, we was lucky their keeper was poor, we wasnt amazing ourselves dont get me wrong 3 huge points, but 3 seasons of relegation and the board and clough still have the nerve to tell me they are going forward!? is a joke

coventry have sacked boothroyd today!! i mean come on, they have had a few bad games and there owners have sacked him, i mean these managers must look at clough n think how the hell have u stayed in a job for so long, i still fear were going down till that table says we are safe

So much crap in this it's untrue.

It's not amazing, it's a good win for a team that have been struggling against a high flying side that may well end up in the Premiership. Not sure what the statement in bold meant, as I'm sure most people don't?

What's a shame? That we won? If you're not a Derby supporter, get off this forum. Their keeper was poor, but we also played very well (in comparison to recent weeks), and were good value for a very hard earned victory.

We are going forward. Our wage bill has gone from £18million to £8million. I don't expect you to have any appreciation of this fact, but our performances on £8m are the same as they were on £18m. No, it's not a joke. It's about making the club stable. I believe the board could have invested more by now, which is my main gripe.

Coventry have sacked Boothroyd today - so what? They'll never have success by chopping and changing. We should be living proof of that. Keep Jim Smith for a few years - success. He goes - huge downward spiral. He's stayed in the job because he deserves too - why should he be sacked? He inherited an inflated wage bill and had to hack at it to get it to current size.

Like alot of people criticise me for backing Clough due to his surname (which is absolutely not true, given I wasn't even an idea in 1975), but people like you seem to want to give him a hard time because of it.

Only 3 years? I'd have said 15+ :rolleyes:

I can also never see why people use his name or pics in their siggy's :confused:

Worst decision that Clough made was to extend his contract imo.

His extension effectively meant that we had him for an extra season at about £6k per week (apparently).If we've not been able to buy experienced championship players,then how was Clough expected to fill the gap? (you have to have some experience in the team).The same logic also applies to Bywater,Leacock and Pearson .I think it's called expediency/pragmatism (or having little real choice).

It's not amazing, it's a good win for a team that have been struggling against a high flying side that may well end up in the Premiership. Not sure what the statement in bold meant, as I'm sure most people don't?

What's a shame? That we won? If you're not a Derby supporter, get off this forum. Their keeper was poor, but we also played very well (in comparison to recent weeks), and were good value for a very hard earned victory.

We are going forward. Our wage bill has gone from £18million to £8million. I don't expect you to have any appreciation of this fact, but our performances on £8m are the same as they were on £18m. No, it's not a joke. It's about making the club stable. I believe the board could have invested more by now, which is my main gripe.

Coventry have sacked Boothroyd today - so what? They'll never have success by chopping and changing. We should be living proof of that. Keep Jim Smith for a few years - success. He goes - huge downward spiral. He's stayed in the job because he deserves too - why should he be sacked? He inherited an inflated wage bill and had to hack at it to get it to current size.

Like alot of people criticise me for backing Clough due to his surname (which is absolutely not true, given I wasn't even an idea in 1975), but people like you seem to want to give him a hard time because of it.

I couldn't agree more.

Spot on

His extension effectively meant that we had him for an extra season at about £6k per week (apparently).If we've not been able to buy experienced championship players,then how was Clough expected to fill the gap? (you have to have some experience in the team).The same logic also applies to Bywater,Leacock and Pearson .I think it's called expediency/pragmatism (or having little real choice).

I'd heard that Savage was allegedly on £23,000 per week and this reduced to £16,000, although apparently I'd read on a message board that in Savage's book he says he's "only" on £15K. Taking it as the latter, his extra season has cost us far more than we have been given back imo.

1 year at £23K or 2 Years at £15K - cost us an extra £365,000 for the "privelege" of having him the extra year.

I'd have preferred Clough building with a younger experienced older player, anyone but Savage in fact.

I don't think the same logic applies to Bywater, Leacock and Pearson, as they were/are all proven Championship players, all with Play Off winner's medals. I hear what you are saying though Mr. Ramblur.

I'm not anti Clough, but felt he lost the opportunity to re-build quicker by keeping Savage on the books, and I will always believe that Clough created some of his own problems with that mistake.

Savage would have been gone at the end of Clough's first season, and we could have had a far better experienced, quicker, inflential old head in for the last 20 months or so by now. Spending £1.564M on Savage's wage for one year or The Yanks paying him off?, or £834,240 for an extra 2 years was false economy imo.

He’s had more than a few off-days on the pitch of late, but he has been influential at times – and has the experienced head we desperatly need in midfield (and miss when he doesn’t play)

But off the field – when was the last time Derby had a player with a media profile like Savages?

My wife can’t bear football but she knows who Savage is. Likewise my young kids and nephews all know Savage and in these “Celebrity Times†it gives them a famous face to associate with the Rams. In that respect I think the Yanks have been quite canny in keeping him on until his retirement.

He’s had more than a few off-days on the pitch of late, but he has been influential at times – and has the experienced head we desperatly need in midfield (and miss when he doesn’t play)

But off the field – when was the last time Derby had a player with a media profile like Savages?

My wife can’t bear football but she knows who Savage is. Likewise my young kids and nephews all know Savage and in these “Celebrity Times†it gives them a famous face to associate with the Rams. In that respect I think the Yanks have been quite canny in keeping him on until his retirement.

Yes, good point about off the field, I can't disagree with that.

On the field though, I don't think he is a good influence, my thoughts are he flaps around and his fellow players "may" not like him.

You never see fellow players going out of their way to work with him, quite the opposite in fact, during the bad run he looked like a lost soul on the pitch, and I still get the impression from the responses from other players to his "bollockings" they may well be thinking, "hark at him, yet he can't even tackle or run properly anymore." Green for one looks hacked off with him as well as other midfield partners over the last 3/4 seasons. Just my opinions.

On the field though, I don't think he is a good influence, my thoughts are he flaps around and his fellow players "may" not like him.

You never see fellow players going out of their way to work with him, quite the opposite in fact, during the bad run he looked like a lost soul on the pitch, and I still get the impression from the responses from other players to his "bollockings" they may well be thinking, "hark at him, yet he can't even tackle or run properly anymore." Green for one looks hacked off with him as well as other midfield partners over the last 3/4 seasons. Just my opinions.

Honestly, I don't think he stands out as one of the poorer players in the team. I do think that he earns too much money to be average though.

The thing that mosts annoys me is when he tweets or posts on facebook with comments like 'must try harder! Fans deserve better!' - the exclamation marks are particularly annoying, almost like he's smiling when he says it.

I'd much rather not see those comments, and just actually work his balls off on the pitch. It will be great to see James Bailey coming through for next season.

I'd heard that Savage was allegedly on £23,000 per week and this reduced to £16,000, although apparently I'd read on a message board that in Savage's book he says he's "only" on £15K. Taking it as the latter, his extra season has cost us far more than we have been given back imo.

1 year at £23K or 2 Years at £15K - cost us an extra £365,000 for the "privelege" of having him the extra year.

I'd have preferred Clough building with a younger experienced older player, anyone but Savage in fact.

I don't think the same logic applies to Bywater, Leacock and Pearson, as they were/are all proven Championship players, all with Play Off winner's medals. I hear what you are saying though Mr. Ramblur.

I'm not anti Clough, but felt he lost the opportunity to re-build quicker by keeping Savage on the books, and I will always believe that Clough created some of his own problems with that mistake.

Savage would have been gone at the end of Clough's first season, and we could have had a far better experienced, quicker, inflential old head in for the last 20 months or so by now. Spending £1.564M on Savage's wage for one year or The Yanks paying him off?, or £834,240 for an extra 2 years was false economy imo.

I was basing my £6k/week on a reputed £24k redefined to £15k over 2 seasons.I understand what you're saying on Sav,but my point is you've got to find the replacement you seek for zero transfer fee and on wages of £6k.

Similarly,although the other 3 are experienced championship players,we don't know if he really wanted to keep the three,or whether he had little choice(for reasons as per Sav) .Clough was entitled to say recently that he expected more from some senior pros-Bywater has gone and Leacock's out in the cold.Judging from the last game,Pearson may be stepping up to the plate

I've heard it from Glick himself that Savage is still on the same amount per week as he first signed, which is mid £20's...

Part payment was just deferred to help cashflow but he is still getting the whole amount of his contract.

Complete waste of money IMO and one of NC's biggest mistakes.

I've heard it from Glick himself that Savage is still on the same amount per week as he first signed, which is mid £20's...

Part payment was just deferred to help cashflow but he is still getting the whole amount of his contract.

Complete waste of money IMO and one of NC's biggest mistakes.

Think you must have misheard Glick. The Ram has the figures pretty much correct. Savage was on 22k a week, contract to end June 2010. August 2009 signed a one year extension at £8k a week,but agreed to defer £7k a week payment from his 2009/10 contract to the 2010/11 contract. Thus,he effectively swapped one year at £22k a week to 2 years at £15k a week. He was also given permission to pursue whatever outside Media work he could.

It was this very topic that got me to sign up to Messagebords for the first time (first posted under mice_elf_and_eye on 606), to correct someone erroneously stating that Savage was costing us nowt this season because he had simply deferred half hs 2009/10 wages to pay for 2010/11.

With N.I. + bonus payments, the one year extension has cost the club approx. £500k.

Think you must have misheard Glick. The Ram has the figures pretty much correct. Savage was on 22k a week, contract to end June 2010. August 2009 signed a one year extension at £8k a week,but agreed to defer £7k a week payment from his 2009/10 contract to the 2010/11 contract. Thus,he effectively swapped one year at £22k a week to 2 years at £15k a week. He was also given permission to pursue whatever outside Media work he could.

It was this very topic that got me to sign up to Messagebords for the first time (first posted under mice_elf_and_eye on 606), to correct someone erroneously stating that Savage was costing us nowt this season because he had simply deferred half hs 2009/10 wages to pay for 2010/11.

With N.I. + bonus payments, the one year extension has cost the club approx. £500k.

I can assure you I never misheard him and it was only two weeks ago that he told me.

I've also no reason to not believe what he told me.

Well if that's true it's ******* ******** **** ********, Savage and the rest of 'em were saying that it was all for the good of the club at the time, to think he's still earning near-prem wages for his perforformances over the last 2 years is shocking.

Well if that's true it's ******* ******** **** ********, Savage and the rest of 'em were saying that it was all for the good of the club at the time, to think he's still earning near-prem wages for his perforformances over the last 2 years is shocking.

I'm not convinced it's such a big waste of money. He's got a wealth of top flight experience, and pretty importantly, experience of being despised - I'm sure he has mentored alot of our younger players coming through to handle pressure.

He's absolutely not our worst performer, and at times adds experience on the pitch. That can't always be quantified, but I felt more comfortable with him in the middle of the pitch holding on to the lead against Swansea than I would with Addison and Green in midfield. He'll say things to the players that help them through That will change with experience. Saying that other players don't like him is purely an opinion and not based on anything.

The one thing that can't be disputed is that he can't keep up with the pace of the game anymore, hence why he is retiring. His footballing ability is fairly limited and it's always been his energy that has got him through, and this is now starting to fizzle.

I think it's a much more tragic waste of money that we pay a wage to Gareth Roberts, and (if we) contribute to Robinson's.

Archived