Japan

Day

Got a call from the BIL this morning to say they're fine. The phone lines had been down since the earthquake and have only just come back on.

Some of the British charities are doing some quite incredible work to help the whole relief thing here in Japan. One company in particular called Shelter Box.

The city I live, Nagoya, has escaped with only minor damage to roads. Thankfully the number of casualties looks very low for a quake of this size.

The quake struck 200 miles off the east coast of Japan. One can only be thankful it didn't strike on land.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to hear that you and your family are all right. I`ve been following news from Finnish tv and films from there are really shocking. Let`s hope you don`t get any big aftershocks. Hopefully they can save the nuclear power plants although from what they have told in tv it seems that some damage is already done. Try to be safe there.

Silks on sky its saying that the British government will not be repatriating British citizens at present, are you thinking of bringing your family to the UK given the now confirmed nuclear leak. It looks like Armageddon on the northeast coast, how are the people coping?

Silks on sky its saying that the British government will not be repatriating British citizens at present, are you thinking of bringing your family to the UK given the now confirmed nuclear leak. It looks like Armageddon on the northeast coast, how are the people coping?

The international media are going overboard about these radiation leaks and people are getting frightened.

To to put this into context. If you are standing next to one of the leaking reactors, you would recieve slightly less radiation than you would experience during a standard hospital x-ray.

Mention the word "nuclear" and the whole world goes mad.

What I am simply staggered by is the incredible way the Japanese are handling this whole affair. There are hundreds of thousands of people homless with little food and water and barely no shelter. They are not complaining, not arguing, not fighting. They are merely coping in an incredilbe dignified way.

If this had happened in the US or even the UK, I cannot believe we would have handled oursleves in such a manner under such despairing circumstances.

Just had a 6.0 magnitude aftershock right here in Aichi.

Pretty worrying stuff. My apartment was shaking pretty badly :eek:

You in Japan Mcsilks? My best mate is in Tokyo. Said he saw a skyscraper wobbling around like it was made of rubber when the main quake hit.

Bit of a mind f@ck!

Just had a 6.0 magnitude aftershock right here in Aichi.

Pretty worrying stuff. My apartment was shaking pretty badly :eek:

hope you and yours are all ok. humbling stuff. :redface:

The nuclear crisis isn't looking good at all.

Radiation is at harmful levels now.

I still think they will fix it and I still have faith in nuclear power.

But there needs to be serious scrutiny about building nuclear facilities on the coastlines of islands susceptible to earthquakes and tsunamis.

The nuclear crisis isn't looking good at all.

Radiation is at harmful levels now.

I still think they will fix it and I still have faith in nuclear power.

But there needs to be serious scrutiny about building nuclear facilities on the coastlines of islands susceptible to earthquakes and tsunamis.

Or al-Qaida`s:eek:

um....a bit late....they've already got 55.

I've stopped watching the news after reading what mcsilks has told us. As he's not trying to get viewers or sell newspapers I'll wait for updates he provides us.

Well in that case m8, I'll give you an update.

The international media is playing a game called "let's hype this up as much as possible in order to scare the hell out of everyone" wheras the Japanese media are playing it down.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

What angers me is how the international media are focusing all their attention on the nuclear spill. Compare this to the Japanese media who are rightly focusing their attention on the humanitarian efforts.

Over half a million people are without homes. Having to live in temporary shelters with little or no blankets in freezing temperatures. Northern Japan is supposed to get as low as -2 tonight. Add the fact that their is little or no food and water and you have yourselves a very serious humaitarian issue.

Tens of thousands of people are still unaccounted for and are likely buried under rubble that the emergency services cannot get to as many areas are still unpassable. Many of these are still alive as was proved today when a young baby and an old woman were pulled out.

THIS should be the focus of our attentions :mad:

So what is the focus of the media?

A radiation leak that is being blown so far our of proportion. Yes, the levels are high. No, the levels are in no way life threatening. OK, a few hundred fish may be harmed but the chances of it affecting humanity are very, very low.

The whole situation is not getting better. It is becoming worse.

There is no food in the supermarkets.

All of the water has run out.

Anything left is rationed.

There is no petrol left in the forecourts.

The emeregency services cannot run as they are running out of petrol.

I could go on...

Archived