Japan

Day

Thanks mcsilks, although not sure saying thanks is the right thing.

I sat glued to Sky News for the first few days until like you say all the focus now is on Fukushima, we get to see the same 5 or so ariel videos of the plant with the odd new quote from inside.

All the experts they had on were saying from day 1 that whilst it is serious it shouldn't be the main concern for Japan.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd imagine that the biggest problem with the power stations is the lack of power, not the nuclear threat.

True. The nuclear thing is just the biggest scaremongerer though.

It gives the Guardian et al to come out with their left-wing anti-nuclear rubbish when it's actually a very safe and efficient method of power source when managed properly.

True. The nuclear thing is just the biggest scaremongerer though.

It gives the Guardian et al to come out with their left-wing anti-nuclear rubbish when it's actually a very safe and efficient method of power source when managed properly.

Dont appear to be scaremongering after the latest news

I've just watched pictures of long lines of people queing for food and petrol and the thing that struck me is the people are all very calm - no yelling, fighting or pushing, they are all being very patient and showing great dignity.

What a credit to their country these folks are - in the face of this disaster they would certainly put others around the world to shame. I think if it happened in this country it would just be anarchy and chaos. :frown:

I've just watched pictures of long lines of people queing for food and petrol and the thing that struck me is the people are all very calm - no yelling, fighting or pushing, they are all being very patient and showing great dignity.

What a credit to their country these folks are - in the face of this disaster they would certainly put others around the world to shame. I think if it happened in this country it would just be anarchy and chaos. :frown:

Yes because this country is not famous for queing is it?

If you said France i would agree.

Well in that case m8, I'll give you an update.

The international media is playing a game called "let's hype this up as much as possible in order to scare the hell out of everyone" wheras the Japanese media are playing it down.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

What angers me is how the international media are focusing all their attention on the nuclear spill. Compare this to the Japanese media who are rightly focusing their attention on the humanitarian efforts.

Over half a million people are without homes. Having to live in temporary shelters with little or no blankets in freezing temperatures. Northern Japan is supposed to get as low as -2 tonight. Add the fact that their is little or no food and water and you have yourselves a very serious humaitarian issue.

Tens of thousands of people are still unaccounted for and are likely buried under rubble that the emergency services cannot get to as many areas are still unpassable. Many of these are still alive as was proved today when a young baby and an old woman were pulled out.

THIS should be the focus of our attentions :mad:

So what is the focus of the media?

A radiation leak that is being blown so far our of proportion. Yes, the levels are high. No, the levels are in no way life threatening. OK, a few hundred fish may be harmed but the chances of it affecting humanity are very, very low.

The whole situation is not getting better. It is becoming worse.

There is no food in the supermarkets.

All of the water has run out.

Anything left is rationed.

There is no petrol left in the forecourts.

The emeregency services cannot run as they are running out of petrol.

I could go on...

I did part of my Phd on Technetium-99 which is a product of nuclear reactors so although I've diverged, I know a fair bit about what is going off and I know alot of experts in the field in this country who are pulling their hair out about what is going off in Japan and it's portrayal here in the press. Our new reactors are designed to have a Boeing 747 fly into them and be unscathed, these reactors in Japan are old designs having been hit by one of the world's largest earthquakes. Let us please get some perspective.

Archived