Japan

Day

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just watching Sky News now, thoughts have to go out to Japan and also other countries that will be hit over the next few hours. Haven't we got a couple of members over there on here?

I was in Nagoya teaching at the time.

It was one of the most frightening experiences I have been through. The whole room started shaking and kept on shaking for about 3 minutes.

My wife's brother is from Sendai, very close to the epi-centre. We can't get through to his mobile at the moment as all liners are down.

My thoughts go to my friends in Northern Japan x

I read in the paper the other day that the moon is apparently closer to earth than it ever has been in it's cycle - i know it wouldn't make earthquakes, but it certainly affects the tides. :eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1364124/Lunar-perigee-Supermoon-cause-weather-chaos-Earth-week.html

coincidence??

mcsilks - hope you get in touch with your BIL soon.

I was in Nagoya teaching at the time.

It was one of the most frightening experiences I have been through. The whole room started shaking and kept on shaking for about 3 minutes.

My wife's brother is from Sendai, very close to the epi-centre. We can't get through to his mobile at the moment as all liners are down.

My thoughts go to my friends in Northern Japan x

Glad to hear your ok, was there much damage in your area? keep us posted mc, all the best.

Glad to hear your ok, was there much damage in your area? keep us posted mc, all the best.

There was only slight damage. Some of the older houses are down and there are cracks in some of the roads.

Buildings in Japan are built with earthquakes in mind and can withstand even the most violent quakes.

They move from side to side even in strong wind.

Official kyodo news agency reports 88,000 missing and large parts of Sendai on fire.

Absolutely no thruth at all in those figures. They are unconfirmed as of writing. A few hundred missing, between 200~300 casualties and parts of Sendai on fire.

Considering the quake was 8000 times more powerful than the recent one in New Zealand, it's incredible the damage was so minor.

Absolutely no thruth at all in those figures. A few hundred missing,

between 200~300 casualties and parts of Sendai on fire.

Considering the quake was 8000 times more powerful than the recent one in New Zealand, it's incredible the damage was so minor.

"Houses and other buildings are also ablaze across large swathes of land in Kesennuma city in Miyagi prefecture, near Sendai, footage broadcast by Japanese TV shows. The city has a population of 74,000"

Another, different area reported....that was a minute ago. 300 found dead washed up on Sendai beach....

Been stuck at work all day, so haven't heard a thing about this until now, Dav just told me. It's awful news :frown::frown:

mcsilks - We really hope you can contact your BIL really soon. Stay as safe as you can, keep in touch with us all here xxx

Archived