The Cost of Chris Commons

The Suit

Taking a long hard look at our performances since Nigel took over I cant help but come to the conclusion that a good spell of form by Chris Commons is the only thing has stopped us being relegated in the last 2 seasons. In the last 2 seasons he had a purple patch of form which gave us just enough to stay up.

In this season as well he has done the same (Before he left) , though worryingly we have dropped off a cliff like never before this season after his spell of form has ended. Chris will always be that in and out player , but now we dont have him to benefit from the "in" part of his form.

Im not sure Nigel ever fully realised how important his good spell's where , so now I ask the question of the learned Forum ... How much is it going to cost the club to replace that spark of inspiration that can turn 6 or 7 ganes a season from draws to wins or from losses to draws single handed?

Assuming we buy the 5 or 6 good solid Champ players in the closed season , (I assume they will be free transfers , 150k , 200k , 300k signings) , I dont see that halting the slide.

Every side needs their Commons , their Baiano , their Idiakez , Their Davidson (Sorry about that one for our younger guests) , so how much will we have to pay as a club to get that 1 special player back at PP? , because I cant see him at the club at the moment!

So how much ?......... more I think than the current board will pay , but Im sure the learned forum will have their own opinion

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if rumour is to believe we offered him what he wanted which was 15K and the length of contract he wanted. On another thread somewhere I did the math and looking purely at the economics it was worth giving him 15-20k as that would be cheaper than stumping up cash to replace him.

The way Kris stalled he was obviously waiting for a better deal and to be honest a bigger club. Fair play to him he was only doing what any other pro would do.

Creative goal scoring midfielders are hard to come by. Ambrose last year was quoted as having a 2 million value. QPR got Taarabt for about 1 million.

It is hard to answer your question with any degree of accuracy as it depends on how motivated the selling club are to sell and how motivated the player is to leave. You have to factor wages into the equation.

But if we are talking about a contracted player I would guess 1.5-2 million for a player of Commons ability.

I still think he might well have stayed had we showed more ambition and remained in contention for the play offs, the Premiership carrot would probably have been more appealing than Scotland but once it was clear the club were going backwards (as transpired over the course of the negotiations) he was always likely to move on I felt - as any other decent player would have done.

In my opinion considering we have enough money to keep Pearson here maybe we should have offered him the astronimical increase he was asking for.

Kris is the difference between a relegation battle and a play-off push in a versatile division like this for a versatile club like this.

We should have kept him until the end of the season and let him go for free at the end of the season.

I believe the fee was £500,000? But I'd rather have none of that money but keep Kris Commons for just six more months, even if we ultimately let him go for nothing in the summer.

If we get relegated, which is a serious possibility now I'm afraid, then it will be because we let Kris go.

We don't knpw the ins and outs of why Kris went. Maybe he lodged a transfer request upon hearing of interest from Celtic.

His form was temporary at the best of times and if he were playing for us when he wanted to be elsewhere then I believe that even that temporary form would have disappeared.

The board did the correct thing IMO. Get a fee while we could thus saving ourselves around a £million.

Maybe look at this another way.

Kris did us a favour by leaving as it has highlighted just how inept the rest of the squad is. Surely no one can be in any doubt that the playing staff needs a complete shake up.

This issue was not getting rid of Commons, the issue is with his lack of replacment. They paid around 400k for Ben Davies, they could have had Scott Sinclair for 500k last summer.

You can buy decent players for 500k, doubt NC can find them bar Bailey and Brayford.

This issue was not getting rid of Commons, the issue is with his lack of replacment. They paid around 400k for Ben Davies, they could have had Scott Sinclair for 500k last summer.

You can buy decent players for 500k, doubt NC can find them bar Bailey and Brayford.

Sinclair could rise to £1m

Please let this thread not lead into "did we do enough to keep Commons" debate.

The lad travelled down the 52 with a Forest badge tattooed on him. Boyhood fan and all that.

Celtic or Derby if your not a Derby fan but a football player hungry for money, trophies and fame.

Has Commons taken a step sideways to then take a step forward? He may feel that he has more chance of being noticed by other clubs at a club like Celtic than at Derby. It could be that his agent has his & Commons best interests at heart, and they are looking at the bigger picture. Derby weren't/aren't going in the direction that would benefit either of them. Bit of a no brainer.

Has Commons taken a step sideways to then take a step forward? He may feel that he has more chance of being noticed by other clubs at a club like Celtic than at Derby. It could be that his agent has his & Commons best interests at heart, and they are looking at the bigger picture. Derby weren't/aren't going in the direction that would benefit either of them. Bit of a no brainer.

No! The only reason Commons is at Celtic is down to money. Simples :)

Of course it's money. Probably at Celtic and the chance of an even larger wage at another club in the future. Because he might be more visible at a club that is at least seen as being succesful, and that he would be seen as making a contribution to that success. It can only be seen as adding to his value.

Of course it's money. Probably at Celtic and the chance of an even larger wage at another club in the future. Because he might be more visible at a club that is at least seen as being succesful, and that he would be seen as making a contribution to that success. It can only be seen as adding to his value.

The same as Joe Ledley to be fair, he had the chance to go to Stoke a good mid table side in a much greater league, opted for the more £££ and silverware chances.

First of all commons should not (IMO) be mentioned in the same sentence as Baiano, Idiakez, or even Davidson!

I have no problem with him wanting to move to celtic, he is a pro - not a Derby supporter.

The fact is the way he went about it cost us in the January window - 'I love it here and want to stay... etc.' then sign for celtic at the end left us with no time to move on anyone else - or should Mr Clough be doing the same ie 'we want to sign your play maker... 'blur' but only if our guy goes... which he isn't... unless he's a liar!... which he is.

forest at home he cost us the game - we played with 10 men from the start (must not risk my brittle bones getting smashed or celtic wont wont me) this got moxey his first booking, he then got a second and sent off, so in fact because we played commons we fielded 9 players for alot of the game.

True story... ahhhh its late zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think he said he loved it when Derby were on that run though and in the play off picture, hence the possibility of big Premiership bucks in the offing with a possible bonus etc.

Once it became clear the club were dropping like a stone I believe he was rather quieter on the matter, Glick was the one putting out the positive vibes I seem to recall while Clough sounded much less confident by then.

Also yes his performances dipped late on but Clough had shoved him back onto the left wing for those final few games where he's nearly always under performed in his time at Derby (much better in the free role).

Us fans make me laugh. Kris Commons is a pro footballer its his job, if he wants to go and earn more money or go someone else thats up to him, most of us would do what ever we felt right about our work.

We know the scottish league is pathetic but you can see why the old firm is a pull, playing in europe, winning medals and playing in front of all them fans, they are two massive clubs and anywhere you go in the world you see fans of both clubs.

I think he said he loved it when Derby were on that run though and in the play off picture, hence the possibility of big Premiership bucks in the offing with a possible bonus etc.

Once it became clear the club were dropping like a stone I believe he was rather quieter on the matter, Glick was the one putting out the positive vibes I seem to recall while Clough sounded much less confident by then.

Also yes his performances dipped late on but Clough had shoved him back onto the left wing for those final few games where he's nearly always under performed in his time at Derby (much better in the free role).

Personally I think the board should've just offered him what he wanted back in Novemeber instead of trying to haggle. That way he would've said either yes or no and given Nigel enough time (with his scouting network who knows if it would've been) to find a suitable replacement. They didn't so we ended up with Ben Davies. And I don't care how many Notts County fans say so, he isn't that good...

IMO this whole saga along with the Hulse situation just points to a cronic lack of forward planning on the board's/Nigel's part.

Archived