Relegation battle more exciting than Title battle

Toadbelly

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember Ipswich in The NPC and in Europe at the same time.. So strange, they also beat Inter Milan 1-0 but I can't remember if they was in The PL for that season as they were in Europe 2 years running.

Think the was first time round. Also Millwall qualified for Europe after reaching the '04 Cup Final & Crystal Palace competed in the Intertoto Cup (anyone remember that competition?) after relegation in 1998.

Also Welsh clubs such as Newport County, Swansea City, Cardiff & Wrexham were able to qualify for Europe after winning the Welsh Cup. Think Cardiff City beat Real Madrid in a Cup Winners Cup match when they were in the old 2nd div.

Strange when thinking about it but being in Europe definately takes a hold on the league and effects the league position. Ipswich were relegated when playing in Europe, Millwall was relegated that season too (when they were in Europe) aswell wasn't they? Or was it a year later?

I remember when Villa were going strong in Europe and going for top 4, couldn't juggle the two and ended up missing out on both. If Brum go down I tink with Europe it will effect their league campain and they'll struggle to regain promotion.

Whatever happened to the Intertoto cup.. I thought it was a great idea for those in midtable desperate for Europe and those in 5th/6th who'd rather avoid it to concentrate on the league. I remember Newcastle competing every year, don't ever remember Palace doing it though.

Yeah, Ipswich were in contention for a Champions League slot (only top 3 got one back then) for the majority of the that season and Marcus Stewart was leading the golden boot for the majority of the season also, crazy times!

Burley was forced to sell Richard Wright to Arsenal and there never able to replace him properly. They had a terrible start to following season and they never managed to recover. They only had one win until Decmeber I think.

I think Intertoto was replaced by the fair play system.

To improve The PL they should give the option to the cup winners/finalists and the team that finishes in 5th place to enter The Europa League. It's a cup that isn't taken seriously by certain clubs in England and it's unfair on the fans that travel and the other clubs that can't compete.

For example Spurs should have the option if they'd want to compete, then it gets handed down based on League Position. Spurs and Liverpool would rather concentrate on getting 4th place. And as for Brum or Blackpool (should they win fair-play), being in the NPC and Europe isn't practical. The only team that will benefit is Stoke as they'll be able to attract better players. I'm sure clubs like S'Land, Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Botlon and Fulham would love to be in Europe.. Not threatened by relegation nor have they a chance at the top 4, they could take the cup seriously and get in some better players.

Yeah, Ipswich were in contention for a Champions League slot (only top 3 got one back then) for the majority of the that season and Marcus Stewart was leading the golden boot for the majority of the season also, crazy times!

Burley was forced to sell Richard Wright to Arsenal and there never able to replace him properly. They had a terrible start to following season and they never managed to recover. They only had one win until Decmeber I think.

They had some quality youths too.. The likes of Wright, Bramble, Dyer, Bent.. They also had Tommy Miller, Matt Holland, Herman Hreidersson, Marcus Bent, Finidi George, Mark Venus and of course Marcus Stewart.. I remember their team well, they were brilliant!

What ever happened to Joe Royle after he took over? He took them to consecutive playoff finishes (3rd both times) and lost to West Ham both times IIRC. Then he left.. He was a decent manager too

To improve The PL they should give the option to the cup winners/finalists and the team that finishes in 5th place to enter The Europa League. It's a cup that isn't taken seriously by certain clubs in England and it's unfair on the fans that travel and the other clubs that can't compete.

For example Spurs should have the option if they'd want to compete, then it gets handed down based on League Position. Spurs and Liverpool would rather concentrate on getting 4th place. And as for Brum or Blackpool (should they win fair-play), being in the NPC and Europe isn't practical. The only team that will benefit is Stoke as they'll be able to attract better players. I'm sure clubs like S'Land, Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Botlon and Fulham would love to be in Europe.. Not threatened by relegation nor have they a chance at the top 4, they could take the cup seriously and get in some better players.

Not an entirely unreasonable idea, but I don't believe teams are forced to play in Europe, they have to submit some paperwork, and if my club qualified for Europe, and then the management decided not to bother, I'd be gutted.

I'm really not a***d who goes down. I suppose I'd like Blackpool to stay up, I'm not overly fond of any of the clubs down there.

I'm going to watch Man Utd vs Blackpool, and knowing how gung-ho Blackpool are, I'm optimistic of a goal-fest.

Holloway says the PL chiefs want Blackpool down.

Ha!! More "hilarious" and "wacky" comments from a "refreshing" Holloway.

Oh, he's such a card.

:rolleyes:

I've noticed this, he used to be light hearted with the press and still manage to get his point across, since he got promoted he just seems vile and bitter.. for that reason would love to see Blackpool down, along with Wigan.

I'd like to see Blackpool down - Holloway used to be amusing, now he's just a ****. For refreshing honesty I prefer Mick McCarthy, and he doesn't have to resort to being a clueless c*** to do it.

Other than that, I don't really have anything against Brum, Blackburn or Wigan.

^^ The Anglo-Italian cup - great joke competition but it did let us hand out a good few thrashings to some Italian sides.

Don't know why, but I don't like Blackburn or Brum. Wigan are a nothing team and should go down because they're a non-entity to me, nobody will miss them from the Prem. For that reason alone I hope Blackpool stay up (there's 3 teams I'd prefer down to them) - although I agree Holloway has been a massive pain in the ring this season, nothing like the reputation he's built himself up as being a witty, warm, oddball guy.

My favourite bit from Holloway this season was when he tried to lay some psychological groundwork ahead of their game against Arsenal - They'd just beaten Wigan 4-0 away on the opening day, and was trying to play down expectations so he said that they'd probably get humped at the Emirates by Arsenal. A few days later they got thrashed 6-0. :D

I'd like to see Blackpool down - Holloway used to be amusing, now he's just a ****. For refreshing honesty I prefer Mick McCarthy, and he doesn't have to resort to being a clueless c*** to do it.

Other than that, I don't really have anything against Brum, Blackburn or Wigan.

^^ The Anglo-Italian cup - great joke competition but it did let us hand out a good few thrashings to some Italian sides.

Mick McCarthy. I really like his interviews.

When they've lost he's clearly really dejected and still gives a straight talking interview.

Not a gob ***** either.

Hope he keeps his job. And hope he stays up.He will i think.

Reckon it'll be Wigan who escape. Birmingham to go down

hopefully blackburn and birmingham will get the drop

i'd like wolves and wigan to survive as they both have decent managers

blackpool? not bothered either way....maybe ollie has started to get a bit tiresome.

predictions please.....heres mine

man utd 2 blackpool 0

spurs 1 birmingham 0

wolves 2 blackburn 0

stoke 1 wigan 0

whu 2 sunderland 1

final table.......

wolves 43

blackburn 40

birmingham 39 (-21)

blackpool 39 (-23)

wigan 39 (-23)

whu 36

goal difference to decide it?

SillyBilly

I've been willing Wigan to go down for the last few seasons but now they are faced with it I'm hoping they pull the escape off. I really like Martinez, feel he wants to play football the right way. Brum can come down and stay down as far as I'm concerned. Blackpool have had their day trip and I would welcome them back to the real world with open arms, no doubt their fans will be giving it the big one if relegated and getting themselves caught up in their one season wonder. One of my best mates is a Blackburn fan and its annoyed me that we've had no ammunition whatsoever in the last few years to stop him talking his bull, looks like that is going to remain the status quo for the forseeable. I like Wolves and McCarthy so pleased they appear to be safe bar some freakish results.

SillyBilly

man utd 2 blackpool 0

spurs 2 birmingham 0

wolves 1 blackburn 1

stoke 1 wigan 1

Brum and Blackpool to go down.

Archived