Change of System

Gary Teale

Clough is saying in the DET today that at home we are going to play 2 up front if the players are fit and they see Cywka as a striker. So we are changing the system. I myself think we have been crying out for 2 upfont in the last few home games

NIGEL Clough believes pushing Tomasz Cywka further forward could help to boost Derby County's attacking options.

Derby face Ipswich Town at Pride Park Stadium tomorrow night looking to halt a run of three consecutive defeats.

The Rams have won only once in the last 10 matches and the goals have dried up.

They have scored once in the last four.

Cywka has been used on the right-hand side of the trio behind a lone striker this season.

The 22-year-old impressed during the team's fine run of form earlier this season and scored in the home victories over Watford and Ssausagehorpe United.

His performances caught the eye of the Polish national team coaches but his form has dipped in the past six weeks and he has been on the bench in the last five matches.

Now Clough is planning to use Cywka as a striker as he ponders playing two up front in home games.

"We have been a bit unfair on Tomasz in some ways because we have played him predominantly out of position when he is a striker," said Clough.

"With us having more options in midfield, with Miles Addison coming back, as well as Paul Green, Stephen Pearson, Ben Davies and Ben Pringle, there is a case now for saying to Tomasz 'you are going back to being a striker'.

"He is in with a shout of starting up front.

"We are going to be playing two up there, if we can. Two from the three of Chris Porter, Steve Davies and Tomasz."

Porter has started the last five games as the lone striker.

He scored twice in the win against Preston North End at Deepdale on New Year's Day in what was his first League start of the season after shaking off a persistent hip problem.

Davies has yet to start a game this season.

He has made five appearances as a substitute in the last six matches as he builds his fitness following a serious knee injury.

Clough has also indicated that Davies is close to a start.

Derby remain keen on bringing in Leicester City striker Martyn Waghorn on loan before the transfer window closes at 11pm tonight.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cos he's rubbish, i watched him yesterday. in my opinion.

No, I thought he was rubbish yesterday as well.

Thought he was trying a bit too hard to make a name for himself by skinning the entire Man City backline every time he got the ball - and it generally failing miserably.

A few decent crosses though...

If we play 4132 who plays the 1? Addison or Bailey. Although I prefer Addison in the team Bailey's passing range would prove more beneficial to an attacking team IMO

Bywater

Brayford Barker Ayala Roberts

Addison

Davies Bailey Green

Cywka Sammon

That's what i'd go with (assuming we sign them). Addison to clear everything up, and Bailey passing range a bit further up.

A little dissapointed to be honest. I think the 4-2-3-1 system shows a comitment to playing attractive, passing football. Unfortunately I think the return to 4-4-2 will mark a return of long ball and is a direct result of us losing KFC.

Same here. 4-2-3-1 is designed for the passing style. It works so well when full backs get forward too. The attacking 3 can wonder and pop up anywhere. 1 or 2 of them can get right up there with the striker if we're controlling the game and even 1 of the holding players can get forward like Bailey does sometimes without leaving the defence completely exposed.

4-4-2 is too restrictive for a free flowing game. Are we asking Bueno to do defensive duties here? Because BOTH central midfielders will need to defend. It's just so much clearer for other teams to pick up our players. I thought 4-2-3-1 was fine imo. It would be so easy to drift into 4-4-1-1 and back into 4-2-3-1 with that as our system. When Brayford and Moxey had the confidence to get forward and Commons and Green/Cywka were in form and involved defensively we looked superb.

If it's 4-4-2 tomorrow then there's no room for Bueno. It also likely mean Pearson will start becoming involved again. Great.

Is Sammon tall (any good in the air)?

I much prefer little and large up front. Shefki and Waghorn would do nicely. Or Hulse and Commons. ;) Please let Sammon be short and fast. 2 target men would make me hand me season ticket back :D

Archived