rugger?

p.shilton

Hey guys, any interest in the upcoming rugby? Just wondering as I don't really care about other sports other than footy (so I tell myself- I was up til 3 every morning watching the ashes and have started an interest in ice hockey) but was just thinking I might start watching?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even pretend to understand rugby.

Thirty blokes - who look like big homosexual bouncers - chase each other around in the mud for the chance to throw themselves at each others legs, whilst apparently also trying to catch and kick a ball shaped like a testicle - in a game almost totally devoid of skill.

There are no nets; passing the ball forward is positively outlawed, and points are scored for kicking the ball over the bar.

This is really just some sort of repressed homosexual S+M group fantasy - The chance to chase boys.

Every now and then half the participants stick their heads between each others legs and go ino some sort of interlocking group hug, with the chance to push hard against each others thighs and buttocks.

The nearest sporting equivalent is mud wrestling. Women like to watch rugby as they also simultaneously lose themselves in the fantasy of a good ramming.

The participants engage in heavy drinking. Alchohol is used to repress the obvious truth - and yet simultaneously release the inhibitions upon this latent and repressed shirt lifting activity.

Is it really a coincidence that this was invented at a boy's public school - steeped as it is in the traditions of fagging, british bulldog, adolescent rebellion and buggery? Male PE teachers love this sort of thing.

For some unexplained reason this activity is also especially popular in Wales.

....the losers should be caned on their bare buttocks in front of the main stand.

That would just about finish off the crowd of hyper ventilating former 'masters'.

Rugby is better when you are in the ground. You get caught up in the atmosphere and hear every hit made on the pitch.

I can remember being at Twickenham for the opening match of the World Cup in 1991 - hearing the national anthem sung by so many people was inspiring.

In 2007 or 2006 I watched the Clacutta cup game at Murrayfield. Very partisan atmmosphere but never a threatening one. Going to hte pub before the match sharing a beer and a barbeque with the Scots. Opposite fans mixing and sharing some banter was brilliant. Wouldnt feel quite so safe doing that for a football game with the Auld Enemy

I would love to get to the Millenium stadium to witness a Wales England game - the atmosphere always seems fantastic on the Telly

I'm no expert on rugby - but I do know there is an element of skill and technique involved - for a start the players have got to know how to give and take a hit so as to lower the risk of injury, how to pass, kick and get their timings right.

Rugby is great to watch though but I wouldn't fancy being at the bottom of a scrum pack.

How very dare you Daveo :p:D

I used to go and watch Dav play and see him getting squashed under a mountain of muscle, I was convinced he'd never make it out alive. Then he'd get up, run off and go and do it again.

Great to watch but for me, the touchline was the place to be, out of harms way. Testosterone is a dangerous thing me thinks.

Archived