Darren Bent joining Villa

Cardifframs

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bent asks to quit Black Cats

Sunderland striker Darren Bent has handed in a transfer request after Aston Villa made an £18million move for the England international.

Bent has been a regular scorer for the Black Cats since joining from Tottenham 18 months ago, but he has now asked to quit the North East club.

Villa have launched a big-money bid for the 26-year-old as manager Gerard Houllier tries to assemble a squad capable of staying in the Premier League.

More to follow...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6667866,00.html

Villa had a transfer budget generated by selling James Milner. O'Neill thought he had the proceeds of that sale to put towards buying new players, but was told that that money had to cover the transfer fee and the wages of any incoming players. O'Neill felt it was unreasonable to expect Villa to push on, from the 3 sixth place finishes he'd already acheived, under such budgetary restrictions (as he saw them), so off he went.

Bent's handed a transfer request in, so I guess there's not much Sunderland can do other than get someone else in quickly. Perhaps they could yet hijack the Varney deal! :D

Villa had a transfer budget generated by selling James Milner. O'Neill thought he had the proceeds of that sale to put towards buying new players, but was told that that money had to cover the transfer fee and the wages of any incoming players. O'Neill felt it was unreasonable to expect Villa to push on, from the 3 sixth place finishes he'd already acheived, under such budgetary restrictions (as he saw them), so off he went.

Bent's handed a transfer request in, so I guess there's not much Sunderland can do other than get someone else in quickly. Perhaps they could yet hijack the Varney deal! :D

Bent is a right muppet!

He has scored 1 goal every 2 games hes played in the prem.Hardly a muppet,and hes going to a bigger club.Cant blame him.Fee could be as high as £24m.

I'd say they're clubs of similar stature, to be honest. Certainly at the minute anyway.

He's not shown any loyalty to Sunderland, who've been a quality side this season.

Bad move, I think.

I'd say they're clubs of similar stature, to be honest. Certainly at the minute anyway.

He's not shown any loyalty to Sunderland, who've been a quality side this season.

Bad move, I think.

Villa are the fourth highest trophy winners in English football.Biggest club in the midlands.I personally dont think sunderland are a bigger Club than Derby.

As for loyalty,forget it.Doesnt exist any more.Steve Bruce is hardly a shining example of loyalty.

Villa are the fourth highest trophy winners in English football.Biggest club in the midlands.I personally dont think sunderland are a bigger Club than Derby.

As for loyalty,forget it.Doesnt exist any more.Steve Bruce is hardly a shining example of loyalty.

Try telling that to a Birmingham fan ;)

It's not the end of the world for Sunderland.

Gyan's still adapting but he looks quality, I think he could become their leading goalscorer.

If Bruce is allowed to re-invest the money they could even end up in a stronger position. I think they need a little more quality in the centre though to create more chances, Bent's finishing is clinical enough for him to only need one or two chances in a match to score the winner.

Archived