My 220 Bike Ride In Memory OF Parents

HgateWhite

Hi Derby fans,

My name's James Lee, I'm 19, and have already lost both my parents. On the 4th June of next year (would have been my Father's 61st birthday) I'm planning to set off from Harrogate to Leeds on a 220 mile bike ride to raise money for Cancer Research UK and the British Heart Foundation. I'm a big Leeds fan and will be wearing United's colours down the country, one of the places on the planned route is Derby, and I'll be looking to stop off at Pride Park to have my photo taken at the new Clough & Taylor statue. Yes, I am a dirty Leeds fan, and proud, however this is a cause which puts football into perspective, and I'm sure everyone on here will all know of someone who has been affected by either cancer or something to do with the heart.

Here's the facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Lees-H...166011336766050

On there it explains a little about what I'm trying to do, and why. A fundraising page will be set up within the next couple of days, so if any Derby fans have any spare change, everything/anything would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to contact the local media soon but not for a couple of days, so it would be brilliant if you all liked the facebook page to try and get a few numbers supporting the cause. So far the planned route is: Harrogate-Leeds-Rotherham-Worksop-Nottingham(maybe)-Derby-Loughborough-Leicester-Northampton-Milton Keynes-Luton-Watford and then to enter London from the North-West of the city, I'm hoping to visit quite a few of the London grounds, QPR, Wembley, Emirates and White Hart Lane.

All money raised will be split 50/50 between the two charities. The fundraising page is: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.virginmoneygiving.com%2FJamesLee&h=e7938

Thanks for your time,

James

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Derby fans,

My name's James Lee, I'm 19, and have already lost both my parents. On the 4th June of next year (would have been my Father's 61st birthday) I'm planning to set off from Harrogate to Leeds on a 220 mile bike ride to raise money for Cancer Research UK and the British Heart Foundation. I'm a big Leeds fan and will be wearing United's colours down the country, one of the places on the planned route is Derby, and I'll be looking to stop off at Pride Park to have my photo taken at the new Clough & Taylor statue. Yes, I am a dirty Leeds fan, and proud, however this is a cause which puts football into perspective, and I'm sure everyone on here will all know of someone who has been affected by either cancer or something to do with the heart.

Here's the facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Lees-H...166011336766050

On there it explains a little about what I'm trying to do, and why. A fundraising page will be set up within the next couple of days, so if any Derby fans have any spare change, everything/anything would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to contact the local media soon but not for a couple of days, so it would be brilliant if you all liked the facebook page to try and get a few numbers supporting the cause. So far the planned route is: Harrogate-Leeds-Rotherham-Worksop-Nottingham(maybe)-Derby-Loughborough-Leicester-Northampton-Milton Keynes-Luton-Watford and then to enter London from the North-West of the city, I'm hoping to visit quite a few of the London grounds, QPR, Wembley, Emirates and White Hart Lane.

All money raised will be split 50/50 between the two charities. The fundraising page is: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.virginmoneygiving.com%2FJamesLee&h=e7938

Thanks for your time,

James

Best of luck mate, I'll donate ASAP.

Are you doing this on your own?

Good luck with the ride.

I'll be donating as these a charities are very close to my heart (no pun intended)

My father died of cancer many years ago, just before I was 18. I have also lost my mother, and recently my sister to cancer, and 2 brothers have been affected by it.

Thanks guys for the positive messages of support.

Yeah, WHL is a bit of a dump, been there once before, but it's a great football ground, like Elland Road, Goodison, Hillsborough, Anfield, Old Trafford and such, not the prettiest on the eye (barring OT which has had a lot of money reinvested back into the ground) yet wherever you look there's history and a story. As nice on the eyes Pride Park looks I'm sure the majority of Derby fans would prefer the old Baseball Ground? Has that been totally demolished by the way? Or is there even one or two things left behind such as turnstiles/gates/anything?

Yes, I'm doing it on my own. Hoping to do it over the course of three days. Tel - sorry to hear that, what you must have seen happen to your Father defies belief, thanks for those who say they'll donate, and to the one Derby fan who has already, it's appreciated. Cheers guys.

I'll happily donate for these charities too. I lost my brother to cancer, it's a truly awful illness.

Best of luck with your bike ride for such a worthy cause James and sorry for your loss. :frown:

On the baseball ground, as far as I know it's sadly gone but I think there's a statue of some footballers which is on the site. It's quite nice to have it remembered I think.

All the best, James. My mother and sister died from cancer and I've had breast cancer and come out the other side! My dad ( who introduced me to the Rams) died from a heart attack. So I'm in sympathy with both your causes.

I hope you'll let us know how it all went afterwards.

Thanks guys for the positive messages of support.

Yeah, WHL is a bit of a dump, been there once before, but it's a great football ground, like Elland Road, Goodison, Hillsborough, Anfield, Old Trafford and such, not the prettiest on the eye (barring OT which has had a lot of money reinvested back into the ground) yet wherever you look there's history and a story. As nice on the eyes Pride Park looks I'm sure the majority of Derby fans would prefer the old Baseball Ground? Has that been totally demolished by the way? Or is there even one or two things left behind such as turnstiles/gates/anything?

Yes, I'm doing it on my own. Hoping to do it over the course of three days. Tel - sorry to hear that, what you must have seen happen to your Father defies belief, thanks for those who say they'll donate, and to the one Derby fan who has already, it's appreciated. Cheers guys.

HgateWhite, let me know when you hit London and maybe I can tag along and take some pictures/video?

Archived