Pearson

ramsbottom

God knows our Nigel can't do anything wrong at the moment but I for one can't understand his affection for Pearson. I'm sure everyone noticed that our game stalled when he came on for Savage on Saturday and considering the fact that he can't score, can't pass, can't cross, hasn't got a great touch and isn't very good at tackling wouldn't it have been better putting Pringle on???

Also taking all of the above into account does he even fit in with the teams style anymore??? Dave Martin isn't getting any game time at the moment so why - with his head head, sprints into the corner way of playing - is Pearson???

Thoughts...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the game did stall on Saturday when Savage went off, but I'm not sure how much of that was down to Pearson. Green looked a bit lost when he dropped back to play the Savage role. We picked up again when Addison came on to play alongside Bailey and Green moved forward again.

Just the way I saw it.

completely agree, it was hard to understand where he was playing at times (i presume he was left of the 'three') and it had a detrimental effect on moxey’s game (who up to that point was solid). i do wonder where nigel sees pearson fitting into the team, it’s all well and good having physical attributes but if you don’t have the skill you can't play that position. surely the point of the attacking players is to have the craft to create and supply, not just run... a la pearson :confused:

God knows our Nigel can't do anything wrong at the moment but I for one can't understand his affection for Pearson. I'm sure everyone noticed that our game stalled when he came on for Savage on Saturday and considering the fact that he can't score, can't pass, can't cross, hasn't got a great touch and isn't very good at tackling wouldn't it have been better putting Pringle on???

Also taking all of the above into account does he even fit in with the teams style anymore??? Dave Martin isn't getting any game time at the moment so why - with his head head, sprints into the corner way of playing - is Pearson???

Thoughts...

virtually all the players say that Pearo is the quickest member of the squad with lots of energy. I don't like the misplaced passes that seem to come as part of his game but maybe match sharpness will reduce that negative part of his play.

He's at his best when breaking play up in midfield, running and closing the opposition down. We did this tremendously well in the Pompey match, hassling their defenders and giving them no time to get their passing game going.

you do wonder how Pearson is going to fit into the current set-up. This season has been built on quick, incisive and accurate passing - I've never seen anything from Pearson to suggest that he's capable of playing that type of game....that pretty much rules him out of the front 4 positions, he's not a centre half and we have better left-backs, so his only possible role would be as one of the two holding midfielders, but he doesn't pass anywhere nearly as well as Bailey or even Sav and while he can obviously run about a lot and put teams under pressure, his tackling leaves a lot to be desired. As has already been said, it would seem his only value will be as a sub for the last few minutes if we need to catch teams on break when we're under pressure - as he's probably one of the better paid players in the squad, that seems to sugest that we should be looking to get shot....

Had we still been playing football similiar to that of last season, I would see why he was still being included.

However, now I really see no use for him. He doesn't have the technical ability to play the football we need, the only use we'll have for him is away from home where our better players can set him free.

And then we have to hope that he manages a decent cross or shot, which is rare.

Yes, the game did stall on Saturday when Savage went off, but I'm not sure how much of that was down to Pearson. Green looked a bit lost when he dropped back to play the Savage role. We picked up again when Addison came on to play alongside Bailey and Green moved forward again.

Just the way I saw it.

I agree!

Had we still been playing football similiar to that of last season, I would see why he was still being included.

However, now I really see no use for him. He doesn't have the technical ability to play the football we need, the only use we'll have for him is away from home where our better players can set him free.

And then we have to hope that he manages a decent cross or shot, which is rare.

never been a pearson liker cant do anything creative but run if its match sharpeness your after give him a few months run out with the reserves before he gets anywhere near the first team hes not good enough,think martins got more quality about him than pearo and thats no joke.

whens his contract up anyway thats gotta be soon. if he resigns him and not commons cloughs lost the plot on that 1.

I wouldn't want to see people get on his back though like with Teale. We made a difficult time even worse for Teale and he gave the effort. He wanted it to work as much as we did. Didn't think he deserved the jeering he had to put up with from some fans.

Same with Pearo, his effort is there. So for that it'd be nice if we can at least not jeer the fella.

But like Alex says, last season he was more suited to the cause. Now he just looks outdated. I hope he can add more to his game but he's never been able to before. Pringle looks to be coming along nicely. Doyle is possibly a season behind Pringle? Pearson will struggle to find a place in this team eventually.

Thought against Portsmouth he made Moxey's life harder too. Moxey couldn't overlap him. Pearo left Moxey exposed because he wasn't helping us to keep our shape...... it just seemed to be a double blow bringing him on. Sorry Pearo. Might be time to go soon.

never been a pearson liker cant do anything creative but run if its match sharpeness your after give him a few months run out with the reserves before he gets anywhere near the first team hes not good enough,think martins got more quality about him than pearo and thats no joke.

whens his contract up anyway thats gotta be soon. if he resigns him and not commons cloughs lost the plot on that 1.

I would have preffered Martin too, but every manager has their favourites.

He has 3 more years, he signed a new deal last season.

!

Just the way I saw it.

And people question what Savage and Green bring to the party, a bit of balance eh...!

I know a lot of fans have a strong affection for Pearson because he scored that goal at Wembley ... and for that he has quite rightly gone down in our club's history

BUT

I just don't rate him. He looks like he should be a good player; he has pace, he has fire and he seems to have ability but it just doesn't seem to come together and work like it should.

I bumped into him in a pub just over a year ago (the day we lost to Florest at the sh***y ground) and asked him if he could look up before he passed the ball. He didn't find it funny, oh well.

Cheeky beggar, did he take a swing at you and miss?:D:D

Swing and miss ... like it.

No he just mumbled something at me that I couldn't understand, Connelly was with him and he just laughed his arse off which didn't exactly diffuse matters much. To be fair to Pearson he probably would have taken a swing at me if I wasn't such a monster (6ft 6 and about 20 stone) - I generally get away with murder

Archived