Leacock

sage

Maybe, to a certain degree, but Barks hadn't been off for so long and didn't need another op to remove the screws from his foot....

you think how long a player is out for makes a difference to his fitness levels? Barker was unfit, well according to his manager anyway.

"Shaun's doing a bit more now, which is helping him because he went the best part of six months without training," said Clough, ahead of today's home game against Portsmouth.

"When we look back to the home game against Queens Park Rangers and their first goal, Patrick Agyemang ran away from Shaun. I don't think that would happen now. He is improving all the time.

link

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you think how long a player is out for makes a difference to his fitness levels?

Err, yes - don't you? Addison's been out since Jan, I think? So let's say 9 months. Generally if a player is out long term then it's because his injury is more serious and more greatly affects the training he's been able to do during that time. I don't see how it can't affect fitness.

Barker would have trained before the QPR match you referred to, but he missed pre-season (again) and throughout last season from January onwards he was playing while carrying injuries which, even though he was managing to play, would have reduced the amount of training between games that he'd have been able to do. His fitness levels so early in the season were lower than they should have been, and that's what Clough was referring to.

Point is that Barker at that point was back and had recovered from his injury and was building up both his general and match fitness. Addison is on his way back but we all know he's got to have another op so he's not yet recovered from his injury. He's still getting discomfort in his foot, which is why he's got to have the screws removed. Yes, he can work on his general fitness, but there's absolutely no way I'd want him in the starting line up. I was wary when he came on on Saturday, purely because I don't want to see him get a knock that sets him back. He's supposedly well ahead of schedule, so why risk that gain? He's an important player long term, why rush him back? Let's get him sorted so that when he's back, he's back for good.

Just my two penn'orth, but I don't want Addison starting tomorrow. We have enough cover in the squad such that we don't need him to.

Think Green covers well at RB but he's not attacking threat from there. He just concentrates on defensive duties really.

Much better to slip Moxey CB and have a pretty quick Roberts LB an attacking Brayford at RB and Greens energy in midifeld.

Lot of people don't seem to like Roberts but i think he needs more time before we judge him. Moxey is like a new signing this season but he wasn't this convincing last year.

Think Green covers well at RB but he's not attacking threat from there. He just concentrates on defensive duties really.

Much better to slip Moxey CB and have a pretty quick Roberts LB an attacking Brayford at RB and Greens energy in midifeld.

Lot of people don't seem to like Roberts but i think he needs more time before we judge him. Moxey is like a new signing this season but he wasn't this convincing last year.

Roberts was great at Donny with the passing play but just got knocked off the ball too easily. He'll do okay in the long run from what I saw of him up here.

I'm sure I've read somewhere or heard Nigel say that Miles will not be a starter against Ipswich. So I would assume Brayford will move across to fill in for Leacock and Green filling in at right back.

This could leave us a little thin in the attacking midfield department (or whatever you would call the three behind the striker) as we will be without Bueno and Moore (who are both unlikely to be fit). By my reckoning this gives us Commons and Cwyka plus Pearson (oh no) or Doyle (double oh no) or does this mean that we could see Martin (who) making an appearance. Could be a tricky trip to Ipswich unless I have forgotten someone.

Don't disturb the attacking four, change as little as possible, moxey to CB Roberts in at LB

That'd get my vote. Green's energy and Brayfords attacking threat are important to us as much as Commons and Cywka's flair and eye for goal.

That'd get my vote. Green's energy and Brayfords attacking threat are important to us as much as Commons and Cywka's flair and eye for goal.

Moxey is a VERY poor centre back.

Watching him in the reserves last season he was being beaten in the air in quite a few games by youth players for the likes of Shrewsbury, Port Vale etc.

Would much rather consolidate and take Brayford to CB where we know he can deliver. Green can do a job at right back and Pringle can come in to see how well he fits into our attacking three at the moment.

Is Moxey really so poor a CB?

He's improved massively at LB would it be too much to hope for he can fit in as well at CB?

I've never seen him play in the middle but you have to admit that having Green at RB and Brayford at CB would take some of our energy out the team

Is Moxey really so poor a CB?

He's improved massively at LB would it be too much to hope for he can fit in as well at CB?

I've never seen him play in the middle but you have to admit that having Green at RB and Brayford at CB would take some of our energy out the team

He's very poor aerially, and Ipswiches strikers are big lads, they'd beat him to almost every ball. They aren't know for playing football, they like their long ball and crosses into the box.

It would indeed, but I wouldn't be looking at this game as one we can win, we've always been poor there and without a main CB i'd be looking t the game and hoping for a draw.

Pringle is similiar to Green, we'd lose some of our attacking threat but he's done well when he has played. (Barnsley away he looked good)

If our defense is going to be in anyway shakeup I would put all our efforts into scoring enough goals to counter this problem. That's why I would. Want brayford at the right and green more forward.

If they will score three we shall have to score four.

You're banking on our football scoring us three goals, I don't see it happening there. Not without a set piece or two going very well for us.

If our defense is going to be in anyway shakey I would put all our efforts into scoring enough goals to counter this problem. That's why I would. Want brayford at the right and green more forward.

If they will score three we shall have to score four.

I hear what you're saying but I just don't think that's our best approach, we will be away from home against a pretty decent side. I would rather we aimed for a slightly less expansive approach and played the best back four we can muster, which for me would be Moxey in his left back berth and Brayford at CB with Green filling in for him - this has worked well enough before already this season. Let's not forget we will still have Commons and Cwyka plus one in that three behind Kuchi Koo.

I agree it wont be easy and its unlikely. But it is the simplicity that is so brilliant.

as for where we are that needs to be irrelevant. we never used to win aganst borough but we changed that, we always struggle against teams in the bottom half but we as disposing of them with ease now, we can break this bad run we just need to believe!

I hear what you're saying but I just don't think that's our best approach, we will be away from home against a pretty decent side. I would rather we aimed for a slightly less expansive approach and played the best back four we can muster, which for me would be Moxey in his left back berth and Brayford at CB with Green filling in for him - this has worked well enough before already this season. Let's not forget we will still have Commons and Cwyka plus one in that three behind Kuchi Koo.

I just think if we attack we could win, but if we go there to defend we won't stand a chance. I may be wrong but I just think we should play to our strengths which is going forward

Archived