Jerry Yates Appreciation Thread

He looked absolutely buzzing after we scored on Saturday. Looks to be a selfless forward that grafts no end for the team.

Another player that has settled into this group very quickly.

No to derail the thread but it does seem we've recruited hard working, skilfull players of good character.

They're shaping up to be my favourite group since the 13/14 lot!

4 minutes ago, FKANorwichExile said:

He's such a clever player and his one touch work is sensational. I wonder if his ideal role would be a second striker rather than an out-and-out center forward, but watching the front three and Kenzo gel has been beautiful after some of the drudgery we witnessed last season. Not tiki taka passing for the sake of it but quick, direct counter attacking and fluid interplay at a speed you very rarely see at this level.

I don't think so but you need to think of him like that. With another striker he has less space to drift around in the middle and less options in midfield to play off and interchange with him. He looks like he thrives with player running past him as opposed to somebody already ahead of him. When he moves now it opens up space for another player to burst into and to exploit, it's why the attacking looks so fluid at time. That would in perhaps a counterintuitive way be blunted if there was another striker.

6 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I don't think so but you need to think of him like that. With another striker he has less space to drift around in the middle and less options in midfield to play off and interchange with him. He looks like he thrives with player running past him as opposed to somebody already ahead of him. When he moves now it opens up space for another player to burst into and to exploit, it's why the attacking looks so fluid at time. That would in perhaps a counterintuitive way be blunted if there was another striker.

Agreed with this. His style of play is a little like Martin, not as strong maybe and possibly fewer goals but using him as a pivot and link player with 2 wingers and Kenzo in that 8/10 hybrid role, he's looking excellent.

For him to excel I think he needs freedom to take up intelligent positions and pull defenders out so there's space around and beyond him. Another striker alongside or in front of him would get in his way I feel.

On 15/09/2024 at 15:38, Kernow said:

I think he’s actually been pretty poor. I can see why Swansea didn’t want him and loaned him out, I doubt they’ll want him back either. They may as well just sell him to us for a few hundred grand while he’s got any value at all. It’s in Swansea’s best interests to get some money for such a poor player.

OOOOH you likul liar