Poor old commentary team

20 minutes ago, dcfc the 1 4me said:

I’m still not sure how Barkhuizen is pronounced, hear it differently with every commentator! Is it bark-ay -zen , bark-ow-zen or bark-hoo-zen? Someone please enlighten me! 

Interesting one this as it's not a sound used in the English language. Barks is of Belgian (Flemish) descent and Flemish is very similar to Dutch. The best way I can describe it is this. Take the word "house" for instance. Many Irish accents pronounce it as "hice". Imagine a cross between the English and Irish pronunciations.

So, the bark bit is as it is in English, the zen bit rhymes with "son" ending of names like Johnson but with a z instead of the s. The bit in the middle, hui, is h followed but the house/hice cross.

Having said that, his family have been in England a fair old while and the pronunciation may have changed to something easier for the English, such as the "haze" middle bit Owen uses which he probably got from Barks himself.

Edited by MadAmster

On 19/07/2024 at 14:37, Owen87ITK said:

I don’t doubt your credentials, and I know I’m not quite hitting the gargle sound quite right every time. It’s a bit tricky in the flow of a commentary when you’re not used to it.

But I went back and forth with Kenzo about 15 times to get it right, and he was happy with my pronunciation so 🤷🏻‍♂️

You'll have to let him know he's saying his name wrong. It's a good job he signed for us, he might have gone his whole life without being corrected.

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

'Allo, 'Allo. Would you be happier if you knew that I possess Dutch nationality? Ergo, I am, actually, a Dutch bloke  🙂 

My missus is Irish but I wouldn't call her an expert in the pronunciation of Gaelge 😉

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

'Allo, 'Allo. Would you be happier if you knew that I possess Dutch nationality? Ergo, I am, actually, a Dutch bloke  🙂 

Ignore the cynics mate, they’re just pissing the time away until the next gnome is played.