Love/Hate TV series endings (more than one season)

Good -

Mr Inbetween: short sharp episodes. Ended satisfyingly and not too definitively. 

I thought Lost was actually quite interesting.  The preceding couple of seasons were downright bonkers,  but the actual last episode did a manful job of trying to somehow tie it together in a way that satisfied everyone.

On 31/05/2024 at 21:32, SSD said:

Best

Hannibal - Underrated show, fantastic way to end three seasons of magic.

Worst

Game of Thrones - Throw lots of CGI at the screen and nobody will notice how awful our script is. Actually ruined the best TV show of all time in my view. The last season killed it dead. Nobody was interested in talking about it anymore after years of being near the top of TV conversation, that's how terrible it was.

Mindhunter - Beautifully written crime thriller, ended on a cliffhanger. When Netflix actually made good shows.

I enjoyed Hannibal - haven't seen the others yet.

Best:

The end of the second series of Blake's 7.

It's a long, long time ago, but IIRC Avon and the crew of the Liberator were hunting for the mysterious Star One, control centre and seat of power of Servilan's Federation. So they could overthrow her, but it was so secret I'm not even sure Servilan knew where it was. But probably due to Orac's brilliance, the Liberator crew found it. Only to discover it was in the process of being taken over by invaders from the Andromeda Galaxy. 

Avon, not known for being a man of principle, wrests control of Star One back from the Andromedans, sent a message to the Federation with the coordinates, warning them of the imminent attack, and took Liberator alone to face the might of the invasion fleet, hoping it could hold them off until the Federation arrived. The last word of the episode was "Fire" and the first shots rang out, as the epic theme music began.

Understand the feelings over Lost and Game of Thrones, as contenders for worst. 

** Spoilers **

Best - 

Breaking Bad - Tied everything up as well as could be expected.  The scene with Walter & Skylar is heart breaking.

Halt & Catch Fire - Really great, full circle moments.

Friends - The fact the last line of the show is uttered by Matthew Perry has made it pretty heartbreaking... Yeah I'm a sentimental, what you gonna do about it??!?!?!?

The Wire - It's difficult to make en ending seem uplifting when you whole central message of it is saying "The world is s****, and nothing changes" but it somehow does it.

Friday Night lights - "Texas forever"

Worst - 

Game of Thrones - Pretty much the entire last season was rushed.  If only they'd stuck with 10 episodes, a lot of story arcs would've had more time to breath, especially Daenerys suddenly lurching into Hitler.  Saying that, The Long Night was one of the most incredible hours of TV ever.

Lost - Annoying, lackluster, syrupy, nonsensical

Dexter - It can't be argued that Dexter deserved his fate, but poor old Debs certainly didn't.  And neither did viewers having to sit through such a s**** last season.  Really should've ended at the end of season 4.  That would've been an epic way to finish

Middling - 

Battlestar Galactica - So much of it was really good, but most fans (me included, slightly) felt cheated by the deus ex machina explanation of Starbuck's purpose.

House - We know he's a medical genius but even he'd struggle to have the where with all to fake his own death.  Plus the fact Cuddy (even after what he did to her) wasn't at his 'funeral' is unforgivable.