What about Westwood at Crewe?

oldtimeram

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were linked with him in the summer.

'Derby have been linked with Crewe's 20-year-old midfielder Ashley Westwood but Clough said: "There are two or three young players emerging at Crewe at the moment. Certainly John (Brayford) is one we are interested in but nobody else at the moment." '

...and then we signed Mr Bailey as well, so who knows?

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Brayford-Rams-target/article-1997041-detail/article.html

Yep - good player, (Fans Player-of-the-Year last season) BUT I think that we may be too late to get him.

It is believed that Derby have been watching him, but the word on the street is that Forest have lined up a £750K deal for January.

radio one extra nowadays :rolleyes:

Crewe fan posted this on 606 when Forest were talking about him.

Good evening Forest fans, Crewe fan here.

Just thought i would tell you a season ticket holders impression on Westwood.

He is a good young player who is a good passer and has an eye for goal but for that price i dont think we will keep hold of him.

Your neighbours Derby signed James Bailey and John Brayford, Bailey is a lot better then Westwood and i can see him playing in the premiership whereas Westwood will probably not get any higher then Championship.

Brayford was our best player followed by Bailey as i am sure Derby fans would have told you how good they are, really exciting to watch an Brayford is a real threat going foward. I will be suprised if Derby hold onto any of them.

Also another youngster we have who is not quite ready for the step up yet is young Nick Powell but i hear Premiership teams are looking at him fr the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A76240073

In the summer if we had signed another central midfielder it was more likely to have been Danny Bujis.

In Jan we are more likely to be after a striker.....

but next summer if Sav quits I'm sure we'll sign another central midfielder. Who?

Depends what league we're in.

Danny Bujis noticed he hasnt gone to anyone else since pulled out the deal but someone who can play well at right back and holding midfielder is someone I think we should be after in Jan (a striker who isnt always injured and we own wouldnt go a miss)

Danny Bujis, this Westwood guy and Jay Spearing I wouldnt mind....

09/10 - 20 League starts

08/09 - 24 League starts

07/08 - 0 League starts

I seem to remember reading a Crewe forum and they were confused as to why we wanted him.

You are correct!

Crewe have a glut of talented young midfield players, and they did not mind Bailey going because that gave another youngster a chance.

All three midfield players in Crewe's current starting line-up have come thru their Academy - Westwood being one of those players.

Westwood is a real favourite with the fans, as he gives 110% every game.

but there is this also on the Crewe forum.....

"The midfield who are supposed to be our best players were terrible Westy for one I dont get all the hype surronding him I think he runs around alot without achieving much,Bell dwells on the ball far too much turns into trouble and gives it away, Murphy to be fair to him has been the most consistent out of the three but again dosent achieve much."

so ? who knows?

anyway.....NC suggests that we are unlikely to sign anyone in Jan.

Archived