Super Nigel Clough

peachmyster

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crikey, this is like the old DET forum.

We're spinning around the same circles with the same posters in different threads.

Unbelievably childish.

It was quite pleasant on here for a while, guess it's back to the bad old days again now.

After thinking about my comparison between Clough and Burley I thought I would check how their first full season went

Burley's:

W 13 D 13 L20 F 53 A 67 PTS 52

Clough's:

W 15 D 11 L 20 F 53 A 63 PTS 56

Well hopefully Clough's second season will be better than Burley's second!! :D

I wouldnt really comapare Burley and Clough as I think Burleys took over a lot worse side and the club in a worse postion and Clough has a had a bit of money to spend where as Burley had nothing.

A fair point about the money (unless you listen to some fans and Clough not being able to spend anything!)

The more time Clough gets the better he will become.

But the comparison between Clough and Burley must take into account how much money was spent & what changes were made to the team.

Clough seems to have had very little to spend while having to let some good players go to reduce the wage bill.

Not sure what Burley had but i would be supprised if he had less to work with than Clough.

The more time Clough gets the better he will become.

But the comparison between Clough and Burley must take into account how much money was spent & what changes were made to the team.

Clough seems to have had very little to spend while having to let some good players go to reduce the wage bill.

Not sure what Burley had but i would be supprised if he had less to work with than Clough.

Burley lost quite a few before his 1st full season, like Rob Lee, Craig Burley, Ravanelli, Kinkladze, I think Lee Morris went also. But they both had to do a similar thing with the club, cut wages and build a team with a few from previous regimes whilst trying to get players in for next to nothing.

Burley didn't really have to cut the wage bill as the first summer most of the top earners left, but his squad was pretty dreadful what was left and the board wouldn't give him any money either on wages or transfer fees. They wouldnt even give him 70k to sign svenson who we had on loan and looked good with junior. He got players in like bisgarrd on 1k a week, well simon hunt the scout did.

Archived