The Rugby Union Thread

Comrade 86

Watched France v England u20 6 nations last night.

What a game.

2 completely opportunistic interception tries for England, including one where France had a 3 on 1 and looked odds on to score.

3 brilliant tries by France who went into a 21-5 lead in the first half.

A massive 23 stone bloke called Tuilagi playing for France.....

A superb comeback by England.

Both teams scoring a bonus point.

Really well reffed....not a TMO in sight (that's you Marius)

Final score 45-31 to England.

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Watched France v England u20 6 nations last night.

What a game.

2 completely opportunistic interception tries for England, including one where France had a 3 on 1 and looked odds on to score.

3 brilliant tries by France who went into a 21-5 lead in the first half.

A massive 23 stone bloke called Tuilagi playing for France.....

A superb comeback by England.

Both teams scoring a bonus point.

Really well reffed....not a TMO in sight (that's you Marius)

Final score 45-31 to England.

Belter huh! At half time I was swearing at the telly. At full time i was somewhat moist 😂 Most of the French lads are playing top 14 rugby too, around 270 caps between them, versus about 30 for their English counterparts and initially, it showed, but boy did they knuckle down. 

Posolo Tuilagi has already had caps for the senior men's team, which tells how seriously the French where taking it in front of a partisan, but good natured crowd. A wonderful advert for the game, not forgetting a very talented young Irish side who snatched a draw against us in the previous round to deny us the slam. I'd say the future of the 6N is looking mighty tasty.

12 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

All home wins for me this week. 

Im in the pub for the last 2 games, plan to bring in Paddy's day 1 day early with some Guiness. 

Watch us wilt in Dublin and get beat by +20

That's how the bookies see it too. Bit gutted as I got offered a ticket for the England - France game but have damaged myself and am laid up, as much through stupidity as hard luck. Sent my lad over instead, so my loss is his gain

As for the games, I think they are hard to call. I'd expect a wounded Irish team to be very hard to beat, but the other two games I think will swing on individual errors, or moments of excellence. Hopefully more of the latter! Wales actually looked decent for 50 mins against the French, but once headed, the game was over. I think the scoreline flattered the French somewhat as the Welsh pack ended up conceding 90Kg+ and simply could not compete in the set piece, or the loose, but in fairness to the French, they looked a much improved side with Le Garrec at 9. The Welsh will likely find the Italians a less formidable challenge and I would perhaps favour them solely on the basis of home field advantage.

Your chaps will be desperate to put a show on in Dublin, but I think they will face a fired up Irish side and will need to be at their very best for the full 80 to have any chance. England I feel will struggle against a huge French pack and with Daly on the wing, perhaps will be less open to throwing the ball wide, so I'm looking for them to at least compete. Feyi-Waboso is a huge loss though so I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best! 

Enough of my waffle, enjoy the games lads. May the best teams win.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

That's how the bookies see it too. Bit gutted as I got offered a ticket for the England - France game but have damaged myself and am laid up, as much through stupidity as hard luck. Sent my lad over instead, so my loss is his gain

As for the games, I think they are hard to call. I'd expect a wounded Irish team to be very hard to beat, but the other two games I think will swing on individual errors, or moments of excellence. Hopefully more of the latter! Wales actually looked decent for 50 mins against the French, but once headed, the game was over. I think the scoreline flattered the French somewhat as the Welsh pack ended up conceding 90Kg+ and simply could not compete in the set piece, or the loose, but in fairness to the French, they looked a much improved side with Le Garrec at 9. The Welsh will likely find the Italians a less formidable challenge and I would perhaps favour them solely on the basis of home field advantage.

Your chaps will be desperate to put a show on in Dublin, but I think they will face a fired up Irish side and will need to be at their very best for the full 80 to have any chance. England I feel will struggle against a huge French pack and with Daly on the wing, perhaps will be less open to throwing the ball wide, so I'm looking for them to at least compete. Feyi-Waboso is a huge loss though so I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best! 

Enough of my waffle, enjoy the games lads. May the best teams win.

I've actually been impressed with how Borthwick is trying to move England forward. Still one or two of the "tried and failed" to ease out of the squad and gutted not to see feyi-wabosi this week.

Should be a close game against France who have really suffered worst from post WC hangover.

I'm welded into my recliner for the day ( once I get home from walking the dog to the local pub)😉

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I've actually been impressed with how Borthwick is trying to move England forward. Still one or two of the "tried and failed" to ease out of the squad and gutted not to see feyi-wabosi this week.

Should be a close game against France who have really suffered worst from post WC hangover.

I'm welded into my recliner for the day ( once I get home from walking the dog to the local pub)😉

I guess in fairness to Borth, the RWC was maybe not the place to be blooding young players, but I'd have loved to see Cadan Murley or his ilk given a start. Daly does bring a strong kicking game though so we'll see. 

Enjoy the games in any case mate.

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

I guess in fairness to Borth, the RWC was maybe not the place to be blooding young players, but I'd have loved to see Cadan Murley or his ilk given a start. Daly does bring a strong kicking game though so we'll see. 

Enjoy the games in any case mate.

And you old boy. Hope you are fully recovered soon 👍

Sad to see it, but I'm not sure I've seen a worse Wales side. A lucky bounce gives the scoreline some air of respectability, but in truth, it's undeserved as they've been 2nd best for all bar the last 10 minutes. Italy tired late on but have been excellent again today and 11 points is some haul for them and nothing less than they deserved. Brilliant from them.

A last thought for George North who seemes to have done his ACL in what it his last game. Horrible luck for one of the game's true greats, I can only hope he mends quickly and has the retirement his efforts warrant.

Scotland their own worst enemies. They've put the Irish under all sorts of pressure, but a string of silly errors is undoing all their better work. The Irish definitely do not look comfortable and it's game on right now.

The Scots were excellent today and defended like absolute madmen. I think the tackle count has to be close to the 250 mark which is insane and yet it was them that finished strongest. But for some careless moments, we could have seen a different result. That said, Ireland were good value for the win on balance, but boy will they know they've been in a game today. They almost looked too gassed to celebrate a well-earned Championship , or maybe it was just relief? 

These last two rounds of the tourny have been sport of the highest order. Just a shame that Ireland were the only team switched on at the start of the 6N as it feels like they've been given an easy ride tbh.

And so to the closer which is a dead rubber now as these lads won't care about finishing 2nd. Hopefully some more decent rugby, but it does rather feel a bit after the Lord Mayor.

Congrats to the Irish team and coaches though. They were the best side, even without looking quite as invincible as we once thought. They've earned this and are worthy 5N winners.

Wow! What a way to close out a brilliant tournament. Stunning from both sides who saved the best for last and produced the game of the tournament for me. I think in fairness, the French probably deserved to win and it's rare for me to be happy after a loss, but I'm immensely proud of the improvement England are now showing, with every game they play. I hardly breathed during the 2nd 40 and my neighbours must be wondering what the hell is going on with my raucous cheering very few minutes. Just brilliant.

Sad the tourny is over, but a very happy Englishman tonight, despite the loss. What a day of sport! 

COE

Another cracking game as France edged England.

Sad end with the penalty against Earl who has been outstanding.

Some bad individual errors such as the overthrow at the lineout which got hacked through for a try. But overall I'm more impressed at the end of the tournament than I was at the beginning.

Shame we didn't get to see more of furbank.

Earl being penalised (by the Welsh TMO no less) for a no arm tackle at the end of the game against a 23 stone French player driving low was a sickener, considering several similar examples by both sides had gone unpunished throughout the game and Earl had his forearm on the deck trying to get under the ball carrier.

It's perhaps time that the Rugby authorities considered addressing the responsibilities of ball carriers for their own safety. Driving low puts them in direct risk of injury and leaves defenders little option sometimes but to risk their own health, risk a yellow or red card, or just allow themselves to steamrollered. It's now dominating the game and I don't think it's improving the spectacle with so many red cards flying around.

On 18/03/2024 at 08:13, Crewton said:

Earl being penalised (by the Welsh TMO no less) for a no arm tackle at the end of the game against a 23 stone French player driving low was a sickener, considering several similar examples by both sides had gone unpunished throughout the game and Earl had his forearm on the deck trying to get under the ball carrier.

It's perhaps time that the Rugby authorities considered addressing the responsibilities of ball carriers for their own safety. Driving low puts them in direct risk of injury and leaves defenders little option sometimes but to risk their own health, risk a yellow or red card, or just allow themselves to steamrollered. It's now dominating the game and I don't think it's improving the spectacle with so many red cards flying around.

Not sure that restricting how the ball is taken into the tackle works as an idea to be honest. It would definitely slow the recycling at the breakdown and teams are all about fast ball these days and rugby is a far better watch for it than the slugfests of days gone past. That said, the TMO couldn't contain his glee at being given a chance to nail England with what was a 50:50 call. That was disappointing really. That said, I do think France were just about value for the win and I think we got a couple that were debatable too. Cracking game though and having seen a very inexperienced England U20s side winning their tourny, I think the future for the 'new' England with their attacking intent is quite exciting. RWC 2027 could be the best ever.

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Not sure that restricting how the ball is taken into the tackle works as an idea to be honest. It would definitely slow the recycling at the breakdown and teams are all about fast ball these days and rugby is a far better watch for it than the slugfests of days gone past. That said, the TMO couldn't contain his glee at being given a chance to nail England with what was a 50:50 call. That was disappointing really. That said, I do think France were just about value for the win and I think we got a couple that were debatable too. Cracking game though and having seen a very inexperienced England U20s side winning their tourny, I think the future for the 'new' England with their attacking intent is quite exciting. RWC 2027 could be the best ever.

You've got a fair amount of difficult games coming up over the summer and autumn. 

I'd like to think that if you get a few hidings in NZ, then Borthwick will stick to his plan and not go into crisis mode. 

John Barcley summed it up pretty well on Sunday when he said Scotland, Wales, France should be worried because England seem to have found a pattern of play and will only get stronger. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

You've got a fair amount of difficult games coming up over the summer and autumn. 

I'd like to think that if you get a few hidings in NZ, then Borthwick will stick to his plan and not go into crisis mode. 

John Barcley summed it up pretty well on Sunday when he said Scotland, Wales, France should be worried because England seem to have found a pattern of play and will only get stronger. 

He had me wondering to be honest, as the RWC seemed a million miles off the philosophy he adopted when completely revitalising Leicester. I think he;s put a marker down now. I think a tough run of games is exactly what's needed for us to continue to progress and I also think that english fans will appreciate what he is trying to do and give him time. I'm genuinely excited over our future and it's been a long old time since I could say that.

Barclay was hyper-critical of the style of play in the 6N opening games, not unfairly IMO, so it's nice to hear that he sees it too as I think he's a pretty honest guy and one of the more forthright and clued up pundits out there. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Comrade 86

• 1 month later...

Not sure if any of yous lot have been following the women's 6N but the Grand Slam decider is tomorrow with the Red Roses strong favourites to secure a win. I've watched all their games in this year's tournament and they've gone up another gear or two and are playing some wonderful running rugby under new Kiwi coach, John Mitchell. 

Match details are as below for anyone who fancies watching the game (live on the Beeb), but full game replays will be on BBC iPlayer, as apparently there's a game of football this weekend too! 👀

Venue: Stade Chaban-Delmas, Bordeaux Date: Saturday, 27 April Kick-off: 16:45 BST

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2024 at 16:16, Comrade 86 said:

Not sure if any of yous lot have been following the women's 6N but the Grand Slam decider is tomorrow with the Red Roses strong favourites to secure a win. I've watched all their games in this year's tournament and they've gone up another gear or two and are playing some wonderful running rugby under new Kiwi coach, John Mitchell. 

Match details are as below for anyone who fancies watching the game (live on the Beeb), but full game replays will be on BBC iPlayer, as apparently there's a game of football this weekend too! 👀

Venue: Stade Chaban-Delmas, Bordeaux Date: Saturday, 27 April Kick-off: 16:45 BST

Yeah I followed it all. They peaked against Ireland after being a bit slow out of the blocks (but far too good) for Italy and Wales. They were hampered by foul weather in Scotland or that might have ended similar to Ireland.

Seemed to move back to the power game against France and I was perhaps a bit disappointed that we didn't put more points on them once they went down to 14. We also let some tries in with pretty woeful tackling (Jess breach), but we were far too good for them.

Mitchell does seem to have more dimensions to his game plan than Middleton did.

Building nicely to the next WC where I expect revenge for the narrow defeat against NZ.