Gazza BBC2 Wed 13th April 2022

Inverurie Ram

Gazza - New two part documentary on BBC2 Wed 13th April 2022.

"A footballing whirlwind in the eye of a tabloid storm. From legendary talent and national hero to addiction, violence and scandals. This is the raw, honest Paul Gascoigne story." ........................

Wayne Rooney has always reminded myself and many others of Paul, and the hope that England could go all the way and win a competition in our lifes with these players in the team. I always believed in Peter Beardsley and Paul Scholes also.

And was delighted to have my photo with Peter Beardsley, when he came to watch the FC Utrecht v Derby County friendly.

Here's hoping that WR can rebuild Derby County and make us great again.

Mrs Sagan made me watch it tonight. And it was interesting. But what a great thing to see two Derby players, ooh Mark Wright and Peter Shilton, in a World Cup semifinal. 

Yes Gazza was the best in the world until *that* tackle on future Ram, Gary Charles. Life is about sliding doors moments, and that was his. 

I was at Uni in Newcastle and my first year there they had Waddle, Beardsley and Gascoigne in the side. Not too shabby!

Gascoigne was something else, and the thing that people forget (which they did point out in the doc) was just how strong he was on the ball and when running back. Right up until that tackle he was on the edge of being one of the best players to ever pull on an England shirt. Sadly, his fragile mental state meant that it was never likely to last - one way or another. To see him now (he was on Mortimer and Whitehouse last series) is just so sad, he knows he didn't have the mental capacity to handle everything that was thrown at him. Not many of us get to ever find out what we can't handle and Gazza has to carry that knowledge with him now forever.

But, as a footballer, something else!

P.S. the opening clip of Gazza playing is largely against a Derby County side in that blue chequered away kit, many faces to get a sneaking peek of.