DCFC Fans Forum on the creditors list

overlandandsea

On 24/11/2021 at 14:15, Mucker1884 said:

I get the impression that you are not comfortable with Paypal!

I do use it occasionally, not regularly, and it is linked to take the dues from my debit card details, so the Paypal balance is always £zero.
I do have ways to access my passwords, but more often than not nowadays, my handsome face alone is good enough to open doors!

I check our bank accounts regularly, if maybe not quite daily, so would (hopefully!) soon spot dodgy payments going out, be they via Paypal or any other means. (Horse/bolted/stable etc!)

I am most certainly not clued up enough to try to convince you to use Paypal, and wouldn't particularly want to, so on that score, the choice is yours.

No idea about charges etc.  I'm under the impression that's down to the recipient, not the payer, as I'm certain I don't pay anything TO Paypal. I'd imagine David (and other payees) pays a fee to Paypal as a thank you for them allowing him to use their services?

Cannot comment on pucker bank-to-bank Standing Orders being an option, in this case.  I guess that's for @David to comment on, as it would be his bank details being bandied about.  

Thanks Mucker! I'll see what David had to say.

I found the donate button! PayPal gave me the option of adding a "fee" to my donation to "help contribute towards the processing costs". It didn't say that this covered all of the costs. Depending upon the level of donation it was 30p-60p.

(If I were to donate £1 or month, I think the processing fee was at least 34p per month!)

It may be a small donation, but £1 per month, or 50p, from a reasonable number of members would cover the costs that @David was mentioning.

Anyway, I rounded up a year's worth into one payment and selected the "help towards processing costs option", but then PayPal wanted my phoned number, which I didn't want to share!

@David, I can set up standing orders from my bank without any processing fees. Takes a minute. T

The question is: what is the risk of sharing the forum's account name, number and sort code?

After Googling it, I came across paym:

https://paym.co.uk/businesses-and-clubs/

I have checked my online banking, and I can do payments using paym - without any fees - for the sender it recipient. (You would need to get a mobile phone and link it to the forum's bank account. (Obviously, not a phone number that you would actually use for calls!)

Anyway, I was not successful with PayPal - and did not want them to slice off a percentage, or take my phone number - but I did want to donate! So, you may want to look into the options of Standing Orders or Paym.

PS. I guess that in order to encourage donations, it needs to be easy and in a way that members feel comfortable. For PayPal users, that may be PayPal. But there's no harm in saying other methods!

@Ken Tram,

I may be wrong, but I strongly suspect that "help contribute towards the processing costs" is in addition to your donation to the forum, and is aimed at the coffers of PayPal itself (for their running costs), and importantly is purely voluntary, and therefore can be ignored.
Even hosts like GoFundMe and JustGiving ask for a little extra, over and above the actual charity donation, to help with their own running costs.

EDIT:

Either way, I agree, it may be worth @David looking at alternative options for donations, but as said before, that's entirely his business.

??

Edited by Mucker1884

Just now, David said:

Correct @Mucker1884.

I'm not entirely sure why it would ask for your phone number @Ken Tram, certainly not something I have requested or address either.

Exactly, most purchases just require bank details and address, but PayPal also needed a phone number. And it spotted my attempt to try using a fake number.

Maybe it is a money laundering regulatory thing?

I think that you're saying that the info status with PayPal, and did not go on to you?

Have you considered paym and standing orders, where you get all of the cash without any being skimmed off?

11 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Exactly, most purchases just require bank details and address, but PayPal also needed a phone number. And it spotted my attempt to try using a fake number.

Maybe it is a money laundering regulatory thing?

I think that you're saying that the info status with PayPal, and did not go on to you?

Have you considered paym and standing orders, where you get all of the cash without any being skimmed off?

Name, email address, the amount of donation and if they have left a message that's all.

I'm guessing you don't have a PayPal account, maybe why they are trying to collect more details from you, however I'm sure they would not be forwarded on to me.

I will look into offering alternative donation options in the future. 

On 02/12/2021 at 19:53, David said:

Name, email address, the amount of donation and if they have left a message that's all.

I'm guessing you don't have a PayPal account, maybe why they are trying to collect more details from you, however I'm sure they would not be forwarded on to me.

I will look into offering alternative donation options in the future. 

Cheers!

I do have an account, but chose the "pay by card" option. My "linked" card have expired about 5 years ago.

I think that the forum is great value (!) so if you expand the donation options, members might donate.

As a cheapskate, I wouldn't notice 50p per month (!), but if most members did that, and there weren't fees skimmed off, I'm sure that it would cover the costs. It might even cover a few beers to compensate moderators!

On 02/12/2021 at 17:35, Ken Tram said:

Thanks Mucker! I'll see what David had to say.

I found the donate button! PayPal gave me the option of adding a "fee" to my donation to "help contribute towards the processing costs". It didn't say that this covered all of the costs. Depending upon the level of donation it was 30p-60p.

(If I were to donate £1 or month, I think the processing fee was at least 34p per month!)

It may be a small donation, but £1 per month, or 50p, from a reasonable number of members would cover the costs that @David was mentioning.

Anyway, I rounded up a year's worth into one payment and selected the "help towards processing costs option", but then PayPal wanted my phoned number, which I didn't want to share!

@David, I can set up standing orders from my bank without any processing fees. Takes a minute. T

The question is: what is the risk of sharing the forum's account name, number and sort code?

After Googling it, I came across paym:

https://paym.co.uk/businesses-and-clubs/

I have checked my online banking, and I can do payments using paym - without any fees - for the sender it recipient. (You would need to get a mobile phone and link it to the forum's bank account. (Obviously, not a phone number that you would actually use for calls!)

Anyway, I was not successful with PayPal - and did not want them to slice off a percentage, or take my phone number - but I did want to donate! So, you may want to look into the options of Standing Orders or Paym.

PS. I guess that in order to encourage donations, it needs to be easy and in a way that members feel comfortable. For PayPal users, that may be PayPal. But there's no harm in saying other methods!

The phone number requirement is do they can check if it is you spending the money. I bought something yesterday and they sent me a text message with a code number on it that I had to enter to prove that it was me before the payment was cleared. Think they do that mainly on things over a certain level around £50

14 hours ago, I know nuffin said:

The phone number requirement is do they can check if it is you spending the money. I bought something yesterday and they sent me a text message with a code number on it that I had to enter to prove that it was me before the payment was cleared. Think they do that mainly on things over a certain level around £50

Thanks for explaining! That makes sense now!

12 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

Thanks for explaining! That makes sense now!

Yeah, it's more for an immediate  "Thank you for your payment, blah, blah, blah... If this was not you, shout up, as you've been hacked" kind of thing.  ?

Edited by Mucker1884