What a Horse Tiger Roll is on St Patrick’s day

Curtains

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

He cashed out on the last leg of his accumulator and the last horse fell. He is Biff Tannen and I claim my £10.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/56435950

Something's not right with this story.

Betfair have a maximum payout, which I think is below or around what he cashed out for. 

Why wouldn't they let the bet ride, and just pay him the max?

I suspect he's not quite the small stakes punter they're making out, after all he was on for a £110,000 win with a similar bet last year, only for his last selection to let him down. 

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Something's not right with this story.

Betfair have a maximum payout, which I think is below or around what he cashed out for. 

Why wouldn't they let the bet ride, and just pay him the max?

I suspect he's not quite the small stakes punter they're making out, after all he was on for a £110,000 win with a similar bet last year, only for his last selection to let him down. 

Betfair have an upper limit of £250k on ante-post markets but honoured the bet. There are a couple or reasons for this; firstly, it's the best publicity they're ever going to get. Secondly, had they not done so, Bet365 would have spent a few million pointing out that he'd have got the full stack from them given their higher thresholds and that'd be the worst publicity they'd ever have.

As for the punter, he's legitimately a small stakes player but he plays the ante-post markets and secured some serious value before the horses in question showed their hands - see below. The guy knows his stuff, I'll give him that. Sure, he got lucky, but those are far from random picks.

image.png.50e64b6440a9fe21dd9c87becd96dd87.png

43 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Betfair have an upper limit of £250k on ante-post markets but honoured the bet. There are a couple or reasons for this; firstly, it's the best publicity they're ever going to get. Secondly, had they not done so, Bet365 would have spent a few million pointing out that he'd have got the full stack from them given their higher thresholds and that'd be the worst publicity they'd ever have.

As for the punter, he's legitimately a small stakes player but he plays the ante-post markets and secured some serious value before the horses in question showed their hands - see below. The guy knows his stuff, I'll give him that. Sure, he got lucky, but those are far from random picks.

image.png.50e64b6440a9fe21dd9c87becd96dd87.png

I'm just a cynical old sod. 

I fully understand why they'd pay out, and make it public they would, but I don't believe a small stakes typical punter makes ante post bets that far in advance two years on the trot.

I could believe that a fairly serious punter perms together lots of individual small stakes bets, covering multiple horses each year in the belief one will come good (maybe perms is the wrong term, but you see what I'm getting at hopefully).

In which case well done fella.

Archived