Laptop advice

dog

Last one has died. I have five hundred quid.

I will be using it for work (teams etc) and for a bit of relaxation. Mainly football manager and music software (nothing too grand)

Suggestions please

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, dog said:

Last one has died. I have five hundred quid.

I will be using it for work (teams etc) and for a bit of relaxation. Mainly football manager and music software (nothing too grand)

Suggestions please

What sort of screen size buddy? 

17 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

What sort of screen size buddy? 

Having a quick scan on the trade sites and something like this would probably suffice:

HP 250 Gen 8 - MPN: 2E9J1EA#ABU

14" Screen, Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD drive, WIN10 Pro. Note, no optical drive. Light, powerful and enough grunt to get you through a few years no bother. It's a good looking machine, HP build quality is strong and their warranties robust.

Around the £500 mark at trade but not sure what they'd cost in Currys or the like.

image.thumb.png.6d20ef58d2e3afca65733b70729c40fb.png

42 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Dont buy HP. Used to be good but no more

Never had one fail in 20 years buddy. The one I've specced is a business class device not their consumer range (all the Pavillion stuff). I'm currently working on a 6 year old Elitebook and it's bulletproof. Cost over a grand though to be fair. Had multiple failures with Dell, Lenovo, Asus and Tosh. Macs still the way to go but they're just absurdly expensive these days.

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Never had one fail in 20 years buddy. The one I've specced is a business class device not their consumer range (all the Pavillion stuff). I'm currently working on a 6 year old Elitebook and it's bulletproof. Cost over a grand though to be fair. Had multiple failures with Dell, Lenovo, Asus and Tosh. Macs still the way to go but they're just absurdly expensive these days.

Got my HP laptop for around £800 about 8 years ago. Never had a problem until fairly recently, with black marks appearing in the top corners. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Got my HP laptop for around £800 about 8 years ago. Never had a problem until fairly recently, with black marks appearing in the top corners. 

To be honest, it's always worth paying around that figure or even more. As with anything, you get what you pay for. Bought a couple of lower end Lenovos but my devices run all day and night and they didn't even last 3 years. The higher end HPs give you a three year warranty as standard too which isn't to be sniffed at. Dell are the enemy (work thing!) but I'd not put anyone off the XPS range which are seriously solid in terms of build quality, though not cheap either. Mac aside, I'd pretty much not go near anything else.

I love a touchscreen laptop and couldn't go back to something that didn't have it. So I'd recommend that for ease of use (a mixture of touch and trackpad but having the touch transforms things). But for £500 you're likely at the bottom of that market if you want a full-on PC rather than a Chromebook.

This ASUS i5 256GB/8GB is £525 on John Lewis, maybe cheaper elsewhere. https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-x415ja-ek006t-laptop-intel-core-i5-processor-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-14-inch-full-hd-silver/p5321906

I bought a Lenovo Ideapad 320S-14IKB in 2018 before I went to uni. Still using it now and haven't had any major issues. I've used it for uni work, paid work and Football Manager mostly. I think it was around £350.

I know nothing about computers though so I'm sure someone has something better to recommend.

Sith Happens

Also worth asking the question when you say the last one has died, what the issue is.

I bought a Dell laptop for work about 8 or 9 years ago, very heavily used and has 'died' twice but both times just the hard drive and easily replaced for less than 20 quid.

Archived