Wing backs good, wingers bad.

sage

Not wishing to sound too Orwellian, but has all our wingers/wide forwards are in poor form and our full backs have been consistently good, why not start with wing backs most games. Play Gregory and CKT as Byrne and Buchanan generally cross the ball better than Jozwiak, Roberts and Waghorn. 

We also have enough CBs to play the system now. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CKR, Gregory, Knight, Shinnie and Bird at CDM? Byrne and Bucc the only creative players?

I mean it might work and get us out of this mess but you're literally relying on Knight to create space for the whole team. Depends how conservative we want to be, I think there's good enough players available to be a bit more outgoing than that. I don't even think the wingers are that bad. In the final 20 minutes last night Byrne had the opportunity to put in those delicious deliveries because of Joz's good work. I don't know if its as simple as don't play the wingers and the fullbacks will still do the job. 

Wazza seems to be approaching it by our opposition so we may see this a few times with 442/433 thrown in as well.  

1 hour ago, sage said:

Not wishing to sound too Orwellian, but has all our wingers/wide forwards are in poor form and our full backs have been consistently good, why not start with wing backs most games. Play Gregory and CKT as Byrne and Buchanan generally cross the ball better than Jozwiak, Roberts and Waghorn. 

I think the problem is we only have one genuine winger in Joswiak. All our other wide players, Waggers, Lawrence and Roberts, Sibley too, aren’t wingers in the true sense. We should have brought in a traditional, genuine winger instead of Roberts. Agree that our current squad, with two decent attacking full backs is suited to 3 at the back but is that a bit defensive, especially at home? Can see your point though.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

I think the problem is we only have one genuine winger in Joswiak. All our other wide players, Waggers, Lawrence and Roberts, Sibley too, aren’t wingers in the true sense. We should have brought in a traditional, genuine winger instead of Roberts. Agree that our current squad, with two decent attacking full backs is suited to 3 at the back but is that a bit defensive, especially at home? Can see your point though.

Depends on who plays in CM behind the front 2 and in what formation. 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Depends on who plays in CM behind the front 2 and in what formation. 

Would you play CKR and Gregory upfront in that formation? Who would your central 3 be? We do lack creativity. Maybe Shinnie holding with Knight and Sibley behind the front two?

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Would you play CKR and Gregory upfront in that formation? Who would your central 3 be? We do lack creativity. Maybe Shinnie holding with Knight and Sibley behind the front two?

Yes to CKR and Gregory. Maybe re 1 holding. It could be a way of getting Sibley into a central 3.  

21 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

CKR, Gregory, Knight, Shinnie and Bird at CDM? Byrne and Bucc the only creative players?

I mean it might work and get us out of this mess but you're literally relying on Knight to create space for the whole team. Depends how conservative we want to be, I think there's good enough players available to be a bit more outgoing than that. I don't even think the wingers are that bad. In the final 20 minutes last night Byrne had the opportunity to put in those delicious deliveries because of Joz's good work. I don't know if its as simple as don't play the wingers and the fullbacks will still do the job. 

Wazza seems to be approaching it by our opposition so we may see this a few times with 442/433 thrown in as well.  

We are basically shirt if a Will Hughes, Bielik, Bannan but I think Macdonald would be better than Waghorn. Jozwiack needs to pass the ball rather than run into a melee. Ince used to run into a melee but took a couple of players out of the game. Roberts cut inside every time so he might as play one twos with Byrne for Nathan to cross it.

31 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

It would mean Playing Sibley, Knight and Bird or Shinnie ideally.  

Jozwiak or Roberts could play ahead of a midfield 2 late on. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

Yes. With Sibley in midfield. Roberts to replace Gregory as a 10 if.need to mix it up. Admittedly I've not seen Roberts yet .

1 minute ago, Andrew3000 said:

Yes. With Sibley in midfield. Roberts to replace Gregory as a 10 if.need to mix it up. Admittedly I've not seen Roberts yet .

You can tell you haven't seen him by the fact you suggested he should be picked. ? 

Archived