Who introduced you to Derby County?

Day

I have my dad to blame, he's not what you would call a massive fan nowdays, not sure he could even name the full Derby squad to be honest. When I was a little nipper he took me to the BBG quite a few times, night games were the best, a bus into town then walk through Normanton stop off at the chippy on the way and flick through the pictures of the matchday programme. Quality nights they were.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by David;5693

I have my dad to blame, he's not what you would call a massive fan nowdays, not sure he could even name the full Derby squad to be honest. When I was a little nipper he took me to the BBG quite a few times, night games were the best, a bus into town then walk through Normanton stop off at the chippy on the way and flick through the pictures of the matchday programme. Quality nights they were.

my dad took me in the late 80's. Don't know why? because he never went before or the season after. Must have wanted me out the house on Sat afternoons so mum and dad could do things:rolleyes:

my dad and grandad took me in the late 70's/early 80's and that was that hooked for life.

we used to park on the old barracks and walk down to the baseball ground and like you say David night games were the best,great atmosphere

Much like Boyciniho, I reckon my parents wanted a bit of peace. At the time we lived in Regent Street, (don't even know if it's still there) Me and my cousin were sent to the games on Saturdays, this would be in 1969, great things were not far away so that was me, hook, line and sinker.

Me old man was the youngest of 9, who all took him to different clubs, but mainly West Ham and Spurs. Some say he was confused and just rebelled, when he decided he was Derby. But he reckons when Dave Mackay moved to Derby, he just followed. Anyway, here I am. With nothing to blame but the fathers influence. Wouldnt change for the world mind.

My grandad and Uncle were season ticket holders at the B.G. my dad took me to see Derby v Villa there and i became a fan - didn't start going properley till a few season's ago - Went to see Inigo been going ever since - home and away - try not to miss many. Left a few of the premiership grounds out tho - got disheartened :mad:.

Originally posted by vicky-27;6055

My grandad and Uncle were season ticket holders at the B.G. my dad took me to see Derby v Villa there and i became a fan - didn't start going properley till a few season's ago - Went to see Inigo been going ever since - home and away - try not to miss many. Left a few of the premiership grounds out tho - got disheartened :mad:.

Last season was the only ever time I thought to myself before a game " Do I have to do this?" That is not right.

After all the 4/6 nil thrashings and the long trips back it just got to much still went to all the home games - every week walking back over the bridge saying 'well it can't get any worse ' HA! funny........... said it a lot last season as well

Evenin' all. My family weren't into football at all so i just got into it through friends at school and just naturally started following Derby. I attended a few reserve games at the BBG with a friend and his dad before going to my first proper match in December 1995, we beat Sheff Utd 4-2. I've never looked back!

• 3 years later...

I used to listen to Graham Richards radio commentry 'Dilks' barbers Ripley when my Dad took me for haircuts that is when I first took an interest. Started listening myself then it took off.

My Dad hated football so he always used to moan at me for it too!

my mum was forest my dad was Derby (no wonder they divorced) , my dad use to tell me stories of the old Derby days in the 70's , but it was actually Ron Webster who made me think realise im a Derby fan , my dad use to live on the same street as him in Somercotes and my dad was freinds with him, overhearing the talks my dad and Ron had was fantastic, Ron was first footballing hero even though he wasnt playing when i was a nipper

Combination of Dad - who liked football but not a 'fan' of any particular club, Neighbour who was a massive Rams fan and Graham Richards commentry on the radio in the garden helping out my dad on a saturday afternoon.

Archived