Jayden Bogle's position

Uptherams

8 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

People said the same about Gareth Bale. 

IMO: Get him up there at RW. Get Ebosele in at RB. That's 1 less winger we need to buy in the summer and another exciting prospect on the pitch.

Without signing any players:

Roos

Ebosele        Wierik        Bielik        Lowe

Rooney Bird  Knight

Bogle                Marriott             Lawrence

PS - I hate Bielik at CB. I think he was worse than Clod Davies; to slow and has the turning circle of a tank. Completely different at CDM, but we don't have much else in that position. 

One example doesn’t make it the norm though. Obviously some players in the past have had successful position changes, and Bale is a good example. But they are the minority of cases imo, and I don’t personally think Bogle will fall into that group. There’s nothing in his game that suggests to me he needs a position change - just that he needs to work on certain elements of his play. Therefore he should stay where he is, at RB - it’s as simple as that for me. 

Ironically out of the two, I actually think Ebosele is more suited to playing on the wing in an emergency. But I’d still only use him there if we are out of natural options. I’d also be a little wary talking about him as a certain first team regular for next season - there’s been no real indication that he’s close to making the first team just yet. He’s obviously a hot prospect at youth level, but he’s still very young and hasn’t even made a matchday squad yet. It might take him a little bit more time before he’s ready.

Personally, I’m happy with that right hand side as it is - Bogle at RB and Waghorn on the wing. What we really need is some decent competition for Waghorn imo - because Josefzoon certainly isn’t that.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Dethorn said:

Didn't work for Bale either

I am not disagreeing with you totally but things (except Derby) are rarely black and White

He is still young enough that he could change imho

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Bogle won’t play on the wing next season. I’m just saying, in my opinion, based on what I’ve seen of him, that he shouldn’t. Only Cocu knows for sure where he’ll be playing. With the financial situation, we may end up forced to play players out of their natural positions to get a team together. Who knows. He might even be sold if we are desperate for cash. He’s probably reached his maximum value at this level to be fair, so it would make sense - especially if we could get a loan back.

8 hours ago, Ramchop said:

His first season he got a free hit, in that nothing was expected from him. Now he's expected to have fixed all the issues that were apparent in his first season, and I think he has improved on his positioning, but maybe not his decision making at times. But next year, the year after that, or the year after that (when he'll be 22!) he will have ironed out those creases (or had multiple ACLs; who knows)

I agree with you on the levels of expectation point. A lot of players get second season syndrome, when people expect them to keep making massive strides and they don’t quite live up to it initially. It’s a lot harder once you’re no longer a new name to the fans. Luckily, most players then get their progress back on track once they learn to deal with the pressure - which certainly isn’t easy! Hopefully Bogle will be another such player next season - I think it’s highly likely he will be. As you say, he’s still only 19(!) so he’s got plenty of time to develop yet, and he’s got every chance of reaching the very top still. But I can’t agree that any of his game has got better this season, I think it’s been a slight regression all round, and that needs looking at to make sure he doesn’t go off the boil totally.

I thought Bogle was looking a bit shaky earlier in the season and was missing the terrific cover that Keogh provided him with last season. 

However, he seemed to be settling back into a bit of form before the break.

He'll probably always have some defensive frailties - heading especially - but I appreciate his improving awareness and his confidence to turn on the ball in a tight area and start an attack, as well as his more obvious runs down the wing.

I also like Wisdom, both at full back and centre half. So, if we had to sell Bogle I wouldn't be distraught, but I would keep him if we can.

On 13/05/2020 at 17:25, Uptherams said:

Just interested to see what people think Jayden Bogle's position will primarily be next season. Whenever that is.

We've seen him pushed into midfield multiple times this season and in terms of ability, appears better at bombing forward than defending. 

Might he even play more minutes next season in midfield than defence? 

Transferred - we need money from somewhere 

Bogle did improve massively defensively last season. He's still got some way to go, but he's much better at defending than Cyrus Christie, and he's still two years younger than when he joined. Defenders often develop late as much of the art comes with experience.

We could do with his help going forward, but there's room for development at RB.

IMO playing with three forwards, there's no room for a winger. Could he play on the left wing? I don't have a clue, but at least it would hide his quite terrible crossing ability.

Most likely it would take a lot as he seems natural on the flank.

Archived