Season Comparisons (Updated)

Yani P

53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It probably was a harsh sacking last time around. But he shouldn’t have been brought back after a justified sacking before in the first place. Can’t keep looking backwards.

Why was it justified the first time?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Why was it justified the first time?

The run of form at the end was horrendous. Yes he had injury’s, but he still had talented players at his disposal. He failed to adapt his tactics slightly to deal with what he had fit. We shouldn’t have been losing as many games as we did in that run of form. The collapse was one of the worst ever witnessed. He couldn’t carry on after that imo.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

The run of form at the end was horrendous. Yes he had injury’s, but he still had talented players at his disposal. He failed to adapt his tactics slightly to deal with what he had fit. We shouldn’t have been losing as many games as we did in that run of form. The collapse was one of the worst ever witnessed. He couldn’t carry on after that imo.

Fair enough,  i don't agree but thats just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree to disagree then mate. All depends on what your expectations are, which are different for pretty much every fan!

I reckon had he stayed we would have been promoted by now 

No way to prove it 

Far too many managers. Its why our squad is as poor as it is.

That said i think Clough would have got us promotion too. Different discussion i guess. 

The next 3 games all against struggling teams are going to be crucial for Cocu. We have Reading then Wigan, both away with the last game of the year against Charlton at home.

9 points = panic over

6 points = well done

3 points = still in a job

0 points = bye bye Cocu

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I reckon had he stayed we would have been promoted by now 

No way to prove it 

Far too many managers. Its why our squad is as poor as it is.

That said i think Clough would have got us promotion too. Different discussion i guess. 

Perhaps, it’s hard to tell. With the right recruitment you could be right, but with the recruitment we actually did I wouldn’t be so sure. Clough I don’t think could have let go of his defensive tendencies enough to get us up. Or his coaching staff. I’ve heard it mentioned by people potentially with inside knowledge that they were the biggest problem there.

Problem is we keep making the wrong appointments. Lots of managers isn’t so much of a problem if they all follow a similar style. Watford and Southampton in recent years have showed that. But when you’re jumping from Clement to Pearson to Mcclaren to Rowett then you’re always gonna end up in the poo. Philosophy is vital. That’s why I advocate a DOF to oversee recruitment in the long term, to ensure we’re always recruiting players of a certain style, and whoever the manager is is a man capable of getting the best out of those players. Then any transition is much much smoother.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Much poorer? At second division level? Really? I’m not convinced. A longer period of time yes, but how long will this last? That’s the concern. We don’t look to be able to turn this around.

83-84 we were probably worse. We averaged 1 ppg using today's points system. The chaotic selections and disjointed team remind me very much of this team. Other than that, in my 48 years of following the club, we've never been this poor at this level. 

6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

83-84 we were probably worse. We averaged 1 ppg using today's points system. The chaotic selections and disjointed team remind me very much of this team. Other than that, in my 48 years of following the club, we've never been this poor at this level. 

Have to go a fair way back then! Sadly we’re not much better than 1 ppg at the moment, which is a real concern.

Archived