Mandatory contract clauses

Jram

I understand the reason we don't have a salary cap in English football (players would go to other countries) but I do think there's a case for mandatory contract clauses for players. There are probably a number of examples but the main one I think would help smaller clubs (I.e. Not top 6) is:

If a club get promoted (say to the Premier league), there's a clause in all the players' contracts saying you have to revert to a lower, affordable wage if we go straight back down. 

This would stop teams like Derby barely avoiding financial ruin a la 2009-12 and teams like Portsmouth, Bolton etc failing to avoid in the past. 

I don't think it would disincentivise players from joining English clubs and would level the playing field a little with the top 6 and also allow clubs to make a better go of staying up. I remember Mel saying it's a nightmare for promoted clubs as they won't sign if you try to put such clauses in their contract. 

I can't see a downside to this but would appreciate feedback about a) if it's possible and b) is there some hidden issue I'm not seeing 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I think thats upto the clubs involved but pretty sure it does happen 

I guess I'm saying the FA should enforce those contract clauses so the players and clubs have to have them 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Jram said:

I guess I'm saying the FA should enforce those contract clauses so the players and clubs have to have them 

Don't see how they can. Surely someone's pay is between them and their employer and no one else.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Don't see how they can. Surely someone's pay is between them and their employer and no one else.

Well they enforce salary caps in other sports and divisions so it surely isn't a legal issue? 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Jram said:

Well they enforce salary caps in other sports and divisions so it surely isn't a legal issue? 

I don't know. I wouldn't think a cap is legal, but what do I know 

I don’t agree with any sort of forced financial enforcement in football, things should just be left up to clubs themselves- and I include ffp in that. However I’m pretty sure what you’re suggesting is fairly commonplace in many contracts in the prem and in most divisions. Pay rise on promotion, pay drop on relegation. The only thing it really does is maybe push players away from joining clubs they don’t have confidence in succeeding. But in reality if they had better options they wouldn’t go to such clubs anyway. Any player worth his salt would have enough confidence in his ability to go for such clauses imo- particulary if there’s the opposing clause if they’re more successful.

53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t agree with any sort of forced financial enforcement in football, things should just be left up to clubs themselves- and I include ffp in that. However I’m pretty sure what you’re suggesting is fairly commonplace in many contracts in the prem and in most divisions. Pay rise on promotion, pay drop on relegation. The only thing it really does is maybe push players away from joining clubs they don’t have confidence in succeeding. But in reality if they had better options they wouldn’t go to such clubs anyway. Any player worth his salt would have enough confidence in his ability to go for such clauses imo- particulary if there’s the opposing clause if they’re more successful.

Worth bearing in mind we've ended up once again in a situation that Mel himself described as very difficult to manage.

Top 6, losing in the play off final, our players will become attractive targets to those around us hoping to progress, and those above us hoping to keep up there.

Last time out saw some wages go from 8k a week to over 20k, whilst we're not quite the outsiders we were 5 years ago, so base salaries will be higher, they're still a few players involved who'll be looking for improved terms on the back of last season.

Bogle, Roos and Bennett spring to mind for starters.

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Worth bearing in mind we've ended up once again in a situation that Mel himself described as very difficult to manage.

Top 6, losing in the play off final, our players will become attractive targets to those around us hoping to progress, and those above us hoping to keep up there.

Last time out saw some wages go from 8k a week to over 20k, whilst we're not quite the outsiders we were 5 years ago, so base salaries will be higher, they're still a few players involved who'll be looking for improved terms on the back of last season.

Bogle, Roos and Bennett spring to mind for starters.

Yep definitely. We should be able to resist teams around us I’d hope, but naturally prem teams will be looking at our players who impressed the most, and there’s been a few.

Younger players are well within their rights to want new contracts and pay rises if their role has increased in the team- as it has for the likes of bogle and Roos. And I’d give them new deals at that. Everyone else is already highly paid enough for me tho from when they joined, anything else would be greedy,

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yep definitely. We should be able to resist teams around us I’d hope, but naturally prem teams will be looking at our players who impressed the most, and there’s been a few.

Younger players are well within their rights to want new contracts and pay rises if their role has increased in the team- as it has for the likes of bogle and Roos. And I’d give them new deals at that. Everyone else is already highly paid enough for me tho from when they joined, anything else would be greedy,

I agree as a fan, but how will players agents respond, especially if there are nibbles of interest?

We can bat away interest from our direct rivals you'd assume, but there may be an unexpected cost.

Take Holmes for instance, his agent may argue he's gone onto full international recognition since he's been here, and is representing his country in a international tournament shortly, surely he deserves a pay rise to confirm the progress he's made since joining, if not other teams will be waiting in the wings.

Bennett has gone from the outer fringes of our squad to starting the most important game of our recent history, that surely deserves a rise?

That will be his agents line.

So on and so on.

10 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I agree as a fan, but how will players agents respond, especially if there are nibbles of interest?

We can bat away interest from our direct rivals you'd assume, but there may be an unexpected cost.

Take Holmes for instance, his agent may argue he's gone onto full international recognition since he's been here, and is representing his country in a international tournament shortly, surely he deserves a pay rise to confirm the progress he's made since joining, if not other teams will be waiting in the wings.

Bennett has gone from the outer fringes of our squad to starting the most important game of our recent history, that surely deserves a rise?

That will be his agents line.

So on and so on.

Agents are the bane of football they really are, and that’s the problem. They want to bring in money for themselves in any way possible, I never believe they truly look after the interests of their clients. Certainly some of them anyway.

I could certainly see that with Holmes. It’s a difficult one really, he hasn’t really established himself in our team enough to deserve a new deal yet, but Into next season I see it as likely. Wouldn’t give him a new deal yet, but you can see the point you’re making- agents won’t be patient. They’ll want it now.

On Bennett mind I’d agree with the agent? Deffo due a new deal for me, that was his proper breakthrough year last year. 

But there are others like you say who aren’t really deserving who’s agents will claim they are. It’s always a problem in football. We’ll see how it pans out I guess.

Archived