Fifty years ago

loweman2

Exactly fifty years ago Derby County from the second tier of English football knocked out one of the big boys from the top tier in the League cup when they beat Chelsea 3-1, it was the start of the journey under a young rookie management duo that saw Derby promoted and went on to win the first division and got into the semi final of the European cup.

could history really repeat itself ?

7B7419C1-DDF6-4CBE-A5D4-D80F197EA5EF.jpeg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For us old ones lucky enough to have witnessed the halcyon days of the Clough and Taylor era, it was 50 years ago today (September 25th 1968) that the Rams as a team in the second division (today called the Championship) went to Chelsea, who were flying high in the top division and came away with a 0-0 draw in the third round of the League Cup (now known as the Carabao Cup).

We beat them in the replay on October 2nd by 3-1 at the Baseball Ground in what many of us regarded the greatest night of that era, even surpassing the later victories over Benfica and Real Madrid in the European Cup. The Derby Telegraph headlines the following day were 'Finest Night For Years as Rams Take Chelsea Apart.' 

I remember going to Middlesbrough on the following Saturday as part of a big travelling support when we were unlucky to secure just a 0-0 draw against one of our main promotion rivals. However the feeling of us all that week was that the Clough and Taylor era had taken off. We were excited and our hopes and dreams were subsequently delivered with interest. We won Division Two that season and within three years were champions of England.

In the meantime, the Dave Mackay, Arthur Cox and Jim Smith eras were great to see, However, throughout watching Derby at home since 1961 and away since 1965, for me Frank Lampard and Jody Morris have been the freshest breath of air coming into the club since Clough and Taylor came in 1968.

I don't think the feats of Clough, Taylor and Mackay are possible today but then again who foresaw Leicester becoming Premier League Champions?

For me it just seems an amazing coincidence that on the 50th anniversary of the Chelsea tie we have been to Old Trafford and achieved such an outstanding result. I do hope history is repeating itself and this marks Frank Lampard and Jody Morris taking us into a new golden era. Derby County owe me nothing because I was lucky enough to see the best years but I am still entitled to dream.

I do hope that this is a remarkable deja vu and that the good times are returning. Is history repeating itself?

Come on you Rams.

7 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

For us old ones lucky enough to have witnessed the halcyon days of the Clough and Taylor era, it was 50 years ago today (September 25th 1968) that the Rams as a team in the second division (today called the Championship) went to Chelsea, who were flying high in the top division and came away with a 0-0 draw in the third round of the League Cup (now known as the Carabao Cup).

We beat them in the replay on October 2nd by 3-1 at the Baseball Ground in what many of us regarded the greatest night of that era, even surpassing the later victories over Benfica and Real Madrid in the European Cup. The Derby Telegraph headlines the following day were 'Finest Night For Years as Rams Take Chelsea Apart.' 

I remember going to Middlesbrough on the following Saturday as part of a big travelling support when we were unlucky to secure just a 0-0 draw against one of our main promotion rivals. However the feeling of us all that week was that the Clough and Taylor era had taken off. We were excited and our hopes and dreams were subsequently delivered with interest. We won Division Two that season and within three years were champions of England.

In the meantime, the Dave Mackay, Arthur Cox and Jim Smith eras were great to see, However, throughout watching Derby at home since 1961 and away since 1965, for me Frank Lampard and Jody Morris have been the freshest breath of air coming into the club since Clough and Taylor came in 1968.

I don't think the feats of Clough, Taylor and Mackay are possible today but then again who foresaw Leicester becoming Premier League Champions?

For me it just seems an amazing coincidence that on the 50th anniversary of the Chelsea tie we have been to Old Trafford and achieved such an outstanding result. I do hope history is repeating itself and this marks Frank Lampard and Jody Morris taking us into a new golden era. Derby County owe me nothing because I was lucky enough to see the best years but I am still entitled to dream.

I do hope that this is a remarkable deja vu and that the good times are returning. Is history repeating itself?

Come on you Rams.

Great post. 

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Tell you what is giving me Deja vu... this thread...

Feel like I’ve seen it before...?

Well let’s see you post something more interesting then @Millenniumram !

thanks for your input to the thread, I bet your a real conversationalist at parties ! Or do you just hang around the kitchen ? ???

7 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Come on you Rams.

I’m sure that you have seen it before but maybe not, the last time you may have seen it was fifty years ago on that great night ! The match ball ! Given to me by Jim Walker !

262979B2-0164-4902-A0DD-27B1765E2A67.jpeg

17 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I’m sure that you have seen it before but maybe not, the last time you may have seen it was fifty years ago on that great night ! The match ball ! Given to me by Jim Walker !

262979B2-0164-4902-A0DD-27B1765E2A67.jpeg

I went to both games and I will never forget the 3-1 win at the Baseball ground. Hope the good times are coming back...coyr 

Archived