What's happened to Elsnik?

oldtimeram

From what I am hearing he seems to have regressed quite a lot? Not so long ago he was under consideration for the first team and when on loan at Swindon some of my mates down there said he was one of their outstanding players for 3/4 of the season. When Brown took over he was less effective from what I was told, but I put that down to the system Brown implemented not suiting his style of play. However, this season, from all reports, he has been quite poor up to now.  I wonder if the lad has peaked or is there another reason for his perceived decline in form? 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

From what I am hearing he seems to have regressed quite a lot? Not so long ago he was under consideration for the first team and when on loan at Swindon some of my mates down there said he was one of their outstanding players for 3/4 of the season. When Brown took over he was less effective from what I was told, but I put that down to the system Brown implemented not suiting his style of play. However, this season, from all reports, he has been quite poor up to now.  I wonder if the lad has peaked or is there another reason for his perceived decline in form? 

Happens a lot with our players sadly, hyped up far too much. Needs time to b e built into a first teamer as he definitely has the potential to become a decent player.

We need to stop putting pressure on the lad.

Which reports are you referencing here? I haven't seen anything to suggest that. Perhaps he just didn't stand out to Lampard as much as say Bennett, Thomas and Bogle did? Probably lined up for a loan. Seemed that way from the forum the other night.

He's 20 - Don't worry too much about it - Time's still on his side

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I saw him briefly against Notts County?I one pre season game anyway and he just didn’t have enough time and I thought he was trying too hard,short substitute performance,

No one could make a judgement on that.

I do remember him pre season v Chesterfield when Pearson was manager and he was a joy to watch,like Hughesy but with a cracking shot,he glided through midfield with the ball and we were all,’Who’s this’!

Still expect big things from him.

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

He hasn't regressed. Other than struggling a little bit with getting back his full fitness following his injuries last season, which is normal with young players.

It's no coincidence that he suddenly dropped off the radar when we signed Mount, having been about quite a lot in the media stuff pre-Mount. There's just no place for him in the first team at the moment.

I still maintain he's at a similar level as our other youths who've broken through. The difference is they're competing with few senior players, who are of the calibre of Wisdom/Forsyth; while Elsnik is competing with arguably our best player (Mount) in a position that we still have quite a few other senior options in.

I'm disappointed, of course, in how things have gone for Elsnik specifically - but I can't have any arguments about his lack of inclusion with the players we've brought in. If we hadn't signed anyone and he still wasn't getting a look in I'd be concerned.

Archived