I really should have known better!

ramtique

Crikey - aren’t us football fans folk of extremes?

Having - for the first time for as long as I remember - not attended any of the pre season games, I sat down to watch last night’s game with more excitement and anticipation than I can remember. All the reports of fast flowing, one touch football so different to the Rowett era had captivated even this wizened old so and so who’s been following our wonderful club for nigh on half a century now.

Like everyone else, I imagine, I then watched the first half with a sense of utter disappointment and bewilderment. But like everyone else, despite my years, I had neglected to remember that pre season is just that. It shouldn’t ever have mattered that Derby had won 4 out of 5 in a style that thrilled our long-suffering fans; that Reading hadn’t won any of their six. More importantly I’d ridiculously forgotten that Rome wasn’t built in a day!

Any notion that the mighty Rams are somehow going to steamroller their way to the Championship title on a wave of Lampard-inspired euphoria should now have been put firmly to bed. The Championship is the Championship ... a bloody hard slog, in some ways the toughest league in the world. And football itself remains the gloriously unpredictable sport that is the reason millions of us have a life-long fixation with.

Watching from my sofa last night, my experienced eye tells me our team still probably needs a few additions in areas not so far addressed by our hallowed new manager if we are to be successful this year. Does all this make me just another ‘wrist slashing doom monger’ so often maligned on this forum? I’ll leave that for you to decide...

All I will say is that - my unreasonable ‘should know better’ expectations sufficiently tempered, I for one am looking forward to the nine month long roller coaster ride that has just begun. UTR! 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could not have put this better myself. 

As a whole last night's performance pretty crap to be honest. A couple of flashes of brilliance to win it. 

Much more to do yet and we have players yet to come in the team. 

Good win but anyone who's telling themselves that that was better than last seasons type of displays is kidding themselves. 

9 minutes ago, ramtique said:

Having - for the first time for as long as I remember - not attended any of the pre season games, I sat down to watch last night’s game with more excitement and anticipation than I can remember. All the reports of fast flowing, one touch football so different to the Rowett era had captivated even this wizened old so and so who’s been following our wonderful club for nigh on half a century now.

Like everyone else, I imagine, I then watched the first half with a sense of utter disappointment and bewilderment. But like everyone else, despite my years, I had neglected to remember that pre season is just that. It shouldn’t ever have mattered that Derby had won 4 out of 5 in a style that thrilled our long-suffering fans; that Reading hadn’t won any of their six. More importantly I’d ridiculously forgotten that Rome wasn’t built in a day!

Any notion that the mighty Rams are somehow going to steamroller their way to the Championship title on a wave of Lampard-inspired euphoria should now have been put firmly to bed. The Championship is the Championship ... a bloody hard slog, in some ways the toughest league in the world. And football itself remains the gloriously unpredictable sport that is the reason millions of us have a life-long fixation with.

Watching from my sofa last night, my experienced eye tells me our team still probably needs a few additions in areas not so far addressed by our hallowed new manager if we are to be successful this year. Does all this make me just another ‘wrist slashing doom monger’ so often maligned on this forum? I’ll leave that for you to decide...

All I will say is that - my unreasonable ‘should know better’ expectations sufficiently tempered, I for one am looking forward to the nine month long roller coaster ride that has just begun. UTR! 

...but Sir Brian didn't have that particular job card. 

2 minutes ago, Derby_Dave_nee_Marilyn said:

I could not have put this better myself. 

As a whole last night's performance pretty crap to be honest. A couple of flashes of brilliance to win it. 

Much more to do yet and we have players yet to come in the team. 

Good win but anyone who's telling themselves that that was better than last seasons type of displays is kidding themselves. 

It was better last night because we tried to play football.last season we would have been defending in the 94 minute. a long way to go but don't knock a win.

11 minutes ago, ramtique said:

...football was the winner last night. not free-flowing, one-touch stuff but the fact that it twists and turns and plays with our emotions and gives us despair and euphoria in equal measure, often within minutes. Reading didn't deserve to lose but football is no respector of fairness. But I loved the way that Frank's backroom celebrated...not with boastfulness but just with boundless joy of the moment. He has a real feeling for what he's doing and that will be a great source of energy for the Club this year. 

I've stated a few times that individual brilliance is our plan B. When our football isn't coming off, it's up to the better players to take the game by the scruff of the neck and pull something out the bag. We now have those players IMO, long may it continue. However, we looked a bit lethargic at the back last night.. sloppy passes, getting caught out of position, however last night would of been a nervy affair as no one wants to lose their first game.... But I can't remember the last time it was us with a last minute winner... And for that reason I am stoked! 

COYR!!

Archived