World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If Croatia wins the final, do you think Modric deserves the balon dor? Key member of the champions league Real Madrid team and in the World Cup. Might be another sneijder 2010 situation. Ronaldo to Juventus means he will have less of a chance no? 

If you're going on who has played the best football over the past 12 months, it's Messi. Scored the most goals, grabbed a bunch of assists, creates enormous amount of chances. Barca were undefeated all season in domestic league and cup matches that he played in.

Modric deserves great credit, and probably should in the balance of fairness be recognised for his amazing talent and brilliant season. But the same could have been said of Xavi and Iniesta who both also missed out despite conquering all with Barca/Spain.

They'll give it to Ronaldo. The popular vote.

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Did england sacrifice possession or is it just that Croatia with mo dric and raticic are better at passing and keeping the ball? 

Definitely sacrificed possession. We hoofed it and hoofed it from the second half onwards.

Good job football came home like 2 weeks ago according to the Internet eh lads. 

According to the commentator "this team will return home as national treasures"... Because they beat Panama, Tunisia and Sweden, drew with Colombia and lost to Belgium and Croatia... Okay then ?

Same old England. Would have been out 2 rounds ago if we didn't get so lucky with the draw.

Created sod all tonight.

If you're honest with yourself, you know I'm right. 

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't agree with the thought that this team have started something special.

On the face of it, the first time we meet a decent outfit and we lose. The next World Cup we could meet any one of the Spain, Germany, Brazil, France, Belgium, Portugal etc. in the last 16 and lose and people will call it a failure.

We've had a great run at this World Cup. But we've blown a once in a lifetime opportunity.

It hurts.

Swear you mentioned you support Mexico..... 

8 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Kane looked knacked after twenty mins, why does he keep coming so bloody deep

Because we don't have a normal get your foot on the ball midfielder. Or even a normal creative no10.  Alli and Lingard are too similar and are on the periphery of the game. Flicks and runs off the ball from the two most advanced, and Henderson as our playmaker? It's a weird midfield.

PistoldPete2
6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

On the face of it, the first time we meet a decent outfit and we lose. The next World Cup we could meet any one of the Spain, Germany, Brazil, France, Belgium, Portugal etc. in the last 16 and lose and people will call it a failure.

We've had a great run at this World Cup. But we've blown a once in a lifetime opportunity.

It hurts.

The thing is though Spain, Germany , etc are not decent outfits any more. They are old and past it.next world cup we will have nearly all the current squad plus a few new exciting players .. We did win the under 20s World Cup after all. But oh it was a missed opportunity though AGAIN!!!! Grrrrr.... 

1 minute ago, GadFly said:

Good job football came home like 2 weeks ago according to the Internet eh lads. 

According to the commentator "this team will return home as national treasures"... Because they beat Panama, Tunisia and Sweden, drew with Colombia and lost to Belgium and Croatia... Okay then ?

Same old England. Would have been out 2 rounds ago if we didn't get so lucky with the draw.

Created sod all tonight.

If you're honest with yourself, you know I'm right. 

You must be fun 

We tried, and up until half time we looked the part. Meh. Bring on Notts County. Let's get the Derby County stuff started.

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It hurts.

100%

this guy gets it. If you don't agree you're deluded and biased as duck tbh. 

Controlled first half and should have killed the game off. Sterling is not a target man. Kane goes missing. 2nd half was like watching the same old England. Better in extra time but switched off for their winning goal. Well done England though, I really did not expect to get this far. Pickford was great. Hope France win the final.

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Swear you mentioned you support Mexico..... 

I do, I support both. I'm more of a Mexican fan considering I prefer to root for the underdog. Besides, Mexico play better football. 

England have gotten me interested again largely due to the squad unity and for the first time in years, we don't seem to have any overpaid primma donnas who prefer to turn up for Liverpool and Chelsea.

But let's not beat around the bush. This England team doesn't have much of a future until we can produce technically gifted players capable of controlling a midfield.

PistoldPete2
23 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Better team won, but with a normal midfield what might have been.

We were outdone in midfield it's true. People say Henderson is under rated but he was up against  it today. 

3 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Because we don't have a normal get your foot on the ball midfielder. Or even a normal creative no10.  Alli and Lingard are too similar and are on the periphery of the game. Flicks and runs off the ball from the two most advanced, and Henderson as our playmaker? It's a weird midfield.

Maybe Southgate should have taken a risk and included Wilshire - different to any other midfielders in the squad but everything is easier in hindsight.

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

The thing is though Spain, Germany , etc are not decent outfits any more. They are old and past it.next world cup we will have nearly all the current squad plus a few new exciting players .. We did win the under 20s World Cup after all. But oh it was a missed opportunity though AGAIN!!!! Grrrrr.... 

TBF I wouldn't actually put money on England beating Germany or Spain, certainly not in a knock-out match. I know they were knocked out earlier but even still. We have a great legacy if we go to the next WC and beat a decent team, if we don't then it just reinforces the fact we lose to the first half decent team we come up against. I am proud of England, am posting in raw emotion but losing to Croatia in a semi-final of the WC hurts way more than losing to Brazil would, because it feels like this op won't come again and we'd have to beat the worlds very best to get this far again, can we do that? We can't say we can because we haven't beaten anyone of real note in my view.

Archived